Presentation on theme: "Characteristics of Life"— Presentation transcript:
1Characteristics of Life EQ: How can you tell if something is alive?
2What is Biology? The study of living things (organisms) The study of interactions of living things“bio”-life“ology”-study of
38 Characteristics of LIFE UnicellularLiving Things are made up of Cells.a.) CELL: Collection of living material enclosed within a barrierb.) cells are basic unit of lifec.) Unicellular: made up of one celld.) Multicellular: made up of many cellsMulticellular
4Asexual2. Living Things Reproduce: a.) produce offspring which resemble parentsb.) asexual reproduction: has only one parentc.) sexual reproduction: requires two parentsSexual
5a.) inheritance of traits is carried on DNA 3. Living Things are based on a genetic code.a.) inheritance of traits is carried on DNA
64. Living things Grow and Develop a.) GROWTH: increase in size & shapeb.) DEVELOPMENT: mature over timec.) living things have a lifespanGrowthDevelopment
75. Living Things Use & Need Energy a 5. Living Things Use & Need Energy a.) energy comes from food, used to maintain body b.) AUTOTROPH: produce own food c.) HETEROTROPH: must consume food d.) DECOMPOSER: breaks down dead material for food
86. Living things respond to their surroundings a 6. Living things respond to their surroundings a.) they react to a stimulusb.) an action causes a reactionc. ) reaction is called a responsed.) this involves one individual
97. Living things maintain a stable internal environment a.) HOMEOSTASIS: internal balanceb.) examples: sweating, panting, shivering, etc.
108. Living things Evolve a.) adapt to long-range changes in environment b.) change to better survive in environmentc.) these changes take place over a long period of time & involve the entire species