Presentation on theme: "Characteristics of Life EQ: How can you tell if something is alive?"— Presentation transcript:
Characteristics of Life EQ: How can you tell if something is alive?
What is Biology? The study of living things (organisms) The study of interactions of living things bio-life ology-study of
8 Characteristics of LIFE 1.Living Things are made up of Cells. a.) CELL: Collection of living material enclosed within a barrier b.) cells are basic unit of life c.) Unicellular: made up of one cell d.) Multicellular: made up of many cells Unicellular Multicellular
2. Living Things Reproduce: a.) produce offspring which resemble parents b.) asexual reproduction: has only one parent c.) sexual reproduction: requires two parents Asexual Sexual
3. Living Things are based on a genetic code. a.) inheritance of traits is carried on DNA
4. Living things Grow and Develop a.) GROWTH: increase in size & shape b.) DEVELOPMENT: mature over time c.) living things have a lifespan Growth Development
5. Living Things Use & Need Energy a.) energy comes from food, used to maintain body b.) AUTOTROPH: produce own food c.) HETEROTROPH: must consume food d.) DECOMPOSER: breaks down dead material for food
6. Living things respond to their surroundings a.) they react to a stimulus b.) an action causes a reaction c. ) reaction is called a response d.) this involves one individual
7. Living things maintain a stable internal environment a.) HOMEOSTASIS: internal balance b.) examples: sweating, panting, shivering, etc.
8. Living things Evolve a.) adapt to long-range changes in environment b.) change to better survive in environment c.) these changes take place over a long period of time & involve the entire species