Fucus evanescens Bladder-wrack (Fucus vesiculosus) 1 cm
Questions Paper I Wikström SA, von Wachenfeldt T & Kautsky L: Establishment of the exotic species Fucus evanescens C. Ag. (Phaeophyceae) in Öresund, Southern Sweden. (1) How has Fucus evanescens spread and established in Sweden? (2) Which factors influence the invasion success of F. evanescens? Paper II Wikström SA & Kautsky L: Effects of the invading brown alga Fucus evanescens on associated biota (3) Does the introduction affect the native biota?
(1) How has F. evanescens spread and established in Öresund? First documentation 1948 (harbour of Copenhagen) Distribution and abundance of F. evanescens investigated 1966-72 and 2000 30 sites investigated (1) Pattern of spread
Wave exposure Attachment strength - F. evanescens - F.vesiculosus - F. serratus (2) Restricting factors No difference
(2) Which factors influence the invasion success of F. evanescens? Wave exposure?No Salinity?Probably in southern Öresund Competition? (2) Restricting factors
(3) Associated epibiota (3) Does the introduction of F. evanescens affect the native biota? Does the epiphytic and epifaunal community of F. evanescens differ from that of the native F. vesiculosus? ?
(3) Associated epibiota Biomass Species number 14 7 Epiphytes
(3) Does the introduction of F. evanescens affect the native biota? Fucus evanescens has - fewer epiphytic species - less epiphytic biomass - less biomass of motile fauna (3) Associated epibiota Does F. evanescens replace F. vesiculosus?
Thanks to… My supervisors Lena Kautsky and Ove Eriksson and all people who have contributed with field and laboratory assistance, statistical advice and scientific discussions. My family for their support. Stockholm Marine Research Centre (SMF) provided financial support.