Presentation on theme: "1. Objective (READ) SWBAT explain why the Amazon rainforest is disappearing. 2. Question of the Day. (TURN OBJECTIVE INTO A QUESTION) 3. Warm-up (ANSWER)"— Presentation transcript:
1. Objective (READ) SWBAT explain why the Amazon rainforest is disappearing. 2. Question of the Day. (TURN OBJECTIVE INTO A QUESTION) 3. Warm-up (ANSWER) 1. Explain Vertical Climate Zones in your own words. 2. Llama herding happens in which vertical climate zone? (p. 208)
Table of Contents DateTitleLesson # 12/11Modern Russia45 **LATIN AMERICA UNIT** 1/6Cover Page46 1/7Physical Geography47 1/8Deforestation48 1. Find the next available fresh page after your warm- ups, title it Deforestation.
Deforestation in the Amazon Rainforest
1. Intro - The Amazon rainforest in Brazil is disappearing. 2. Deforestation the cutting down and clearing of trees and forests.
3. Why? - Groups are cutting down the rainforest for economic reasons. 4. Effects - Brazils GDP has increased - They have a trade surplus – they are exporting goods from the rainforest.
4. More Effects - Native groups are threatened by rainforest destruction
4. More Effects - Global warming is increased because of rainforest destruction
Rainforest Project You will be assigned to a group and provided with introductory research. Your group must create a presentation that will be given to a panel including me and student judges. The panel will decide the answer to the key question: Will Brazil conserve or economically develop the rainforest?
Rubric 1. Poster – 40 points Accuracy = 30 (get yours approved) all facts are accurate, everything required is there Appearance = 10 Picture represents most important reasons, uses color appropriately, spelling/grammar is good
2. Presentation – 30 points Accuracy – 10 all facts are accurate, able to respond to questions correctly and effectively Delivery – 10 loud enough, persuasive for judges, does not use slang/poor grammar Participation – 10 everyone is involved and has a role in the presentation
Poster Requirements Each poster/power point must have: 1. Title – your groups profession and students names 2. Bullets - An explanation of your professions position: A. Key Question Are you for or against rainforest destruction? B. At least 3 reasons that support your position (the more the better) C. Explanation for each reason 3. Pictures – include at least two pictures to represent your position.
Additional Research BBC Article University of Michigan Article
Groups There are seven groups. After I put up the groups: 1. Go to your groups location. 2. Desk Olympics 3. Elect a General, Timekeeper, and Product Specialist.
ConversationYes, whisper, to YOUR GROUP, be on task HelpOrso, notebook, text, group members ActivityCreating products MovementYes, to get with group, desk olympics No, use hand signals after seated ParticipationRight = whispering, working, helping Wrong = talking to other groups, not participating, not helping Activity GROUPS
Team 1 Saber Collette Omar Team 2 Yasmin A. Zach Andy Team 3 Ivette Ricardo Hannah Team 4 Chris Thomas Sam Connie Team 5 Emily Brian Ali Team 6 Mario Sarah Yasman W. Team 7 Rade Sharon Jazzelle
Team 1 C – Kiara Roany Sebastian Team 2 C – Tran Jennifer CD Sinia Team 3 C – Ray Cantu Castro Bryan W. Team 4 C – Sharon Clay Brandon Cornelio Team 5 C – Luis Kristell Kelsey Francisco Team 6 C – DJ Alan Robert Elsy Team 7 C – Brown Seth Jalen Kids with a C in front of their name are the captain. Captains select your team Captains make sure your group is on task.
Team 1 C – Ray Ramiro B Michelle Pablo Team 2 C – Julio Jay Sam E. Alicia Team 3 C – Cleyton Brittany Javahn Sam O. Team 4 C – Denzel Nelson Nancy Paul Team 5 C – Leticia Karina Daeja Martin Team 6 C – Ramiro P Jimmy Stephanie Travis Team 7 C - Brandon Jessica Juan Manning Kids with a C in front of their name are the captain. Captains make sure your group is on task. I will select one judge from each group.
Team 1 C – Jake Tran Troy Wild Bill Team 2 C – Nick Jordan Robert Magaly Team 3 C – Ana Joyce Ivan Erik Team 4 C – Maddy Demetrius Jhocelin Ashlee Team 5 C – Cris Guillermo Hingriz Alfonso Team 6 C – Luis Jaylynn Steven Jennifer Team 7 C - Blake Justin Anakaren Vy Kids with a C in front of their name are the captain. Captains make sure your group is on task. I will select one judge from each group.
Rainforest Uses Clip Questions: 1) Create a list of items or products that originate in the rainforest. 2) Explain what a rubber tapper does.
Possible Solutions: 1. Ecotourism – allowing people to tour the rainforest while preserving the region
2. Debt for Nature Swap - when an organization agrees to pay money that a government owes to others, IF that government agrees to protect parts of the rain forest.
To Do List – Friday Laptops – 2 per group Go to our site click 4 th marking period open the powerpoint called Deforestation in the Amazon 2. Begin researching. Access the additional research slide in the powerpoint. 3. Rough Draft Work together and create a rough draft of your poster or powerpoint presentation 4. Approval - Get your rough drafts approved.
Day 2 – Additional Research ory?id= http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireSt ory?id= stm#http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/ stm# ews/bizarre&id= http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=n ews/bizarre&id=