Presentation on theme: "AFRICAN MISSIONS IN THE CONTEXT OF PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE GLOBAL REALITIES MANI Conference, September 6-9, 2011 Abuja, Nigeria Presented by Delanyo Adadevoh."— Presentation transcript:
AFRICAN MISSIONS IN THE CONTEXT OF PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE GLOBAL REALITIES MANI Conference, September 6-9, 2011 Abuja, Nigeria Presented by Delanyo Adadevoh
We can look at missions before Christ by looking at what God did through Africans.
1. Pharaohs daughter saving Moses from the water. 2. An African wife coming alongside Moses during the exodus. 3. An African was commanded by Joab to take the news about Absaloms death to David (2 Samuel 18: 19-32). May the enemies of my lord the king, and all who rise against you to do harm, be like that young man! (v. 32) [Note the African art in communication]
4. Africans served in the palaces of kings in Israel. Jehudi during the reign of Zedekiah, and Ebed-Melech (Jeremiah 36: 14; 38: 7) 5. An African served as a prophet of God. Zepheniah, the son of Cushi (Zephaniah 1: 1) 6. Africans took initiative to protect Gods people and plans. Ebed-Melech saved Jeremiah from the pit (Jeremiah 38: 7- 13)
8. Africa served as a place of refuge for Gods people and Gods plans. ~ Joseph and the rest of Jacobs family ~ The nation Israel during its period of formation ~ Abraham and Sarah ~ Moses after his escape from Egypt (went to Midian and Cush/Ethiopia according to the Book of Jasher) ~ Jesus during the reign of Herod
1.Mark was a Jew who came from North Africa. 2. Simon of Cyrene who helped Jesus carry the cross was from present day Libya. He most probably was a Jew. 1.Jesus was taken to Egypt for protection. I called my son out of Egypt. (Matthew 2: 15)
AFRICAN MISSIONS DURING THE TIME OF THE APOSTLES
1. Africans were present on the Day of Pentecost. 2. Africans were part of the team of prophets and teachers. Simeon of Niger was part of the team that prayed and sent Paul and Barnabas on the first mission to Europe. (Acts 13: 1) 3. Africans were seeking to understand the gospel. The Ethiopian eunuch (Acts 8) 4. African leaders allowed religious freedom. Candace of Ethiopia allowing her Minister of Finance to go and worship in Jerusalem (Acts 8)
1. Africans were involved in shaping orthodox Christianity. ~ St Augustine ~ Tertullian ~ Athanasius ~ Clement of Alexandria 2. Ethiopia was one of the first three Christian states in history. The Church in Ethiopia was established around 353 AD.
Why did the early African Church in Tunisia, Egypt, Sudan and Ethiopia not evangelize the rest of Africa?
1. Over-culturalization/contextualization 2. The challenges of Islam 3. Finances 4. Lack of adventurous interest in the rest of Africa
AFRICAN INVOLVEMENT IN THE ERA OF MODERN MISSIONS
1. The past two centuries have seen modern missionary initiatives that have virtually evangelized much of Africa. 2. The resulting denominations carried some significant Western cultural values and practices that encouraged the launching of the Africa Independent Churches movement. This movement grew in the colonial and independence era. 3. Post colonial Africa has seen an unending launching of new African led missionary and denominational movements across the continent.
4. The scope of African missions is now global. 5. There is a growing emphasis on the development of leaders for the church in Africa who are both scholars and practitioners. 6. The leaders in Africa are being developed not only for Christian ministries in the church but also for the market place.
7. Africa is helping provide leadership for the church around the world.
1. Biblical Christianity. 2. Holistic approach to missions. 3. Focusing on completion of the task.
THE CONTEMPORARY CHALLENGES TO AFRICAN MISSIONS
1. In depth biblical discipleship. 2. Effective leadership in the church. 3. Engagement of society in promoting good stewardship of Africas resources. 4. Partnering with government and other units of society in promoting development based on Christ centered values.
5. Islamic vision and drive for Africa. 6. Rallying around a common continental plan.
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.