Presentation on theme: "Themes in the Study of LIFE"— Presentation transcript:
1Themes in the Study of LIFE Biology = bios (life)+ logos (study of)Nino A. EspinasBiology UnitPSHS-Main Campus
21. The living world is a hierarchy, with each level of biological structure building on the level below it.Life is highly organizedLevels of biological organization:atoms- molecules- organelles- cells- tissues- organs- organ systems- organism- population- community- ecosystem- biosphereWhat level/s of bioorganization is/are featured in each item?1. Gregorio T. VelasquezNational ScientistPioneer Scientist in BlueGreen Algae2. Google Earth
32. Each level of biological structure has emergent properties. Novel properties emerge that were not present at the simpler levels“An organism is a living whole greater than the sum of its parts”Are Emperor penguins (Aptenodytes forsteri) cooperative or selfish?
43. Cells are an organism’s basic units of structure and function. Cell is the lowest level of structure capable of performing ALL life’s activitiesAll living things consist of cellsProkaryotic and eukaryotic cell typesMitosis- cell divisionWhite blood cells- human macrophage ingesting Candida albicansSperms- Sperm race
54. The continuity of life is based on heritable information in the form of DNA Deoxyribonucleic acidSubstance of genesUnits of inheritance that transmit information from parents to offspringNucleotides: A, T, G, C, & U
65. Structure and function are correlated at all levels of biological organization Form fits functionBiological structure gives us clues about what it does & how it worksFunction of a structure provides insight about its construction
76. Organisms are open systems that interact continuously with their environments An organism is an open system- an entity that exchanges materials and energy with its surroundings.Nutrient Cycling & flow of E from sunlight to photosynthetic life forms
87. Regulatory mechanisms ensure a dynamic balance in living systems. Biological processes are self regulating, operating by a mechanism called feedback- in which an output or product of a process regulates that process
98. Diversity and Unity are the dual faces of life on earth. There is Unity in Diversity in ALL living entities of the EarthParamecium ciliaThroat and intestine villi
109. Evolution is the core theme of biology. Life evolvesEvolution, the process that have transformed life on Earth from its earliest beginnings to its vast diversity today, is the one biological theme that ties together all othersNatural Selection = Differential Reproductive Success
1110. Scientific InquiryObservation-based discovery and the testing of explanations through hypothesis based inquiry
1211.Science, Technology, and Society Technologies are goal oriented applications of scienceScience and technology must promote and improve NOT just human lives, but ALL organisms on earth as well.An Inconvenient Truth
13Main ReferencesCampbell NA, Reece, JB, and Mitchell LG Biology. Addison Wesley Longman pp.Campbell and Reece Biology. Pearson Benjamin Cummings pp.