Presentation on theme: "Reading 2 Copied by Tu yuefeng. A doctor who became a specialist in womens illnesses. She devoted all her lift to medical work for Chinese women and children."— Presentation transcript:
Reading 2 Copied by Tu yuefeng
A doctor who became a specialist in womens illnesses. She devoted all her lift to medical work for Chinese women and children. Her work encouraged many other women to become doctors. Lin Qiaozhi ( ) China
cleverness. Having a big ambition. To be kind to others, to love everyone. Can you guess what made her famous? hard working
A Good Example For Me
do research catch ones eye be intended for …, as well as,, deliver a baby find out
devote ones whole life to carry on …, … too…to … …
lead-in A good example The main idea of each part: Lin Qiaozhis achievements Fast reading Part 1 Part 2
Three achievements of Lin Qiaozhi She became a specialist in womens diseases She got a medical training for her career She had made sure that about babies were safely delivered to their mothers
Main idea of the passage: This reading is about ______and ______ of a famous Chinese doctor- ___________. She was important for women in China because she was the first woman doctor to specialize in _______________ and the problems of _____________. the life career Lin Qiaozhi womens illnesses having babies
1. For whom and for what purpose did Lin Qiaozhi write a small book about how to look after babies? She wrote a small book for mothers in the countryside who were not able to get to a hospital easily. It was to help them look after their babies properly. Post reading
2. Which period did Lin Qiaozhi live in? She lived in the early 20th century. 3. Was it easy for a woman to get medical education at that time? It was not easy for women to get medical education at that time particularly medical care that was concerned with women and children. Education was for men first and women second.
4. Why do you think the writer chose to study at medical college? She chose to study at medical college because she wanted to help other women./ carry on Lin Qiaozhis work.
5. What do you think are the important qualities a good doctor should have? I think a good doctor should be kind, competent, committed, devoted, careful, considerate and kindness.
Language points 1....I didnt realize that my homework was to change my life. be + eg: We were sure that he was to become a very famous person.
He is to go to Beijing tomorrow. e.g You are to do your homework before you have lunch.
In such dry weather, the flowers will have to be watered if they___. A. have survived B. are to survive C. would survive D. will survive
2. It was a small book explaining how to... explain wh- +to do He explained to us how to use the computer. explain, explain sb. sth. explain sth. to sb. explain to sb. sth.
3. Caring for babies by following some simple rules. He cared for her as if she were his own daughter. They care for the wounded night and day.
4. I looked carefully at the text and realised that it was intended for women who lived in the countryside. be intended for ……, e.g The chair was intended for you but she took it away.
5. It struck me like lightning how difficult it must have been for a woman to get a medical training so long ago when womens education was always placed second to mens. 1) it, how
it for a woman to get a medical training it It is necessary for us to have some exercise every day.
2) +have+ A. May (might) have + done sth, can (could) have + done sth., Philip may (might) have been hurt seriously in the car accident. Philip can (could) have been hurt seriously in the car accident.
B. must have +done sth ---Linda has gone to work, but her bicycle is still here. ---She must have gone by bus. C. neednt have done sth. I dressed very warmly for the trip, but I needn't have done so. The weather was hot.
D. ought to have done sth, should have done sth. " " You ought to (should) have been more careful in this experiment. He ought not to have thrown the old clothes away. ought to should
6. Why not study at medical college like Lin Qiaozhi and carry on her good work? Why not do sth, …… e.g Why not ask her?
carry on (with) sth. carry on doing sth. …… …… e.g Carry on with your work while Im away. Carry on working while Im away.
7. Further reading made me realise that it was hard work and determination as well as her good nature that had got her into medical school. 1) further farther farther ; further, :further study
We walked on without further conversation. 2) as well as as well He came as well as his brother.,
This time I will go _____ because I want to have some ____ education. A. farther, farther B. further, farther C. further, further D. farther, further
8. …deliver a baby for a poor family… deliver a baby: to help a woman to give birth to a baby be delivered of a baby: She was delivered of a healthy boy.