Presentation on theme: "Reading. Warming up Cooperative discussion: 1. What is a park? What is a park for? 2. Do you know what is the differences between a theme park and an."— Presentation transcript:
Warming up Cooperative discussion: 1. What is a park? What is a park for? 2. Do you know what is the differences between a theme park and an ordinary park?
Hong Kong Ocean Park
Hong Kong Disneyland
Disneyland is the oldest theme park in the world and it is the most popular park in the world, too. In the Disneyland, people can not only enjoy the exciting activities there, but also get close to the life-size cartoon characters like the Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck, which appear in some of Walt Disneys famous cartoon films.
Window of the World in Shenzhen
World Water park in Canada is a park where people can take part in all kinds of activities in water.
China Folk Culture Village
Shenzhen Happy Valley
Yunnan Nationalities Villages
Guess which are parks and which are theme parks?
Pre-reading 1. Which park would you like to visit most if you have the chance? 2. What do you suppose a theme park is? (theme: a main subject or idea)
3. Can you name some kinds of theme parks you know? wildlife park ocean park Disneyland folk culture village
A. Theme parks are more than amusement. B. Theme parks are places for people to amuse themselves. C. Theme parks have a variety of things to see and do. D. Theme parks have a certain idea. Skimming 1. Read the passage quickly for the general idea.
2. Which of the following are mentioned in the text? Disneyland, Dollywood, Camelot Park,
Give the main idea of each paragraph: Para. 1: Para. 2: Para. 3: Para. 4: Different kinds of theme parks. Englands Camelot Park Disneyland. Dollywood
Complete the table with information from the passage. Park Name Theme Example of Activities Disneyla nd Detailed reading fairy tale stories travel through space, visit a pirate ship, meet fairy tale characters, ride a swinging ship, go on a free-fall drop
Park Name Theme Example of Activities Dolly wood culture of the southeast ern USA listen to American country music, see traditional craftsmen and their work, try some traditional candy, ride on an old steam engine, see bald eagles, ride on Thunderhead and other rides
Park Name Theme Example of Activities Camelot ancient English history and stories watch magic shows, see fighting with swords or on horseback, visit farm section, learn about farms in ancient England
Listen to the tape and then do these T or F exercises.
1. Disneyland can be found everywhere. Disneyland can be found in several parts of the world. 2. You can meet any cartoon character you like at Disney land. You can meet fairy tale or Disney cartoon characters at Disneyland. × True False ×
3. Tourism develops where a Disneyland is built. 4. Dolly wood is in the mountains in the southeastern USA. 5. Country music singers perform in Dolly wood throughout the whole year. True False
6. Dolly wood has the only electric train still working in the USA. Dolly wood has the only steam-engine train still working in the southeastern USA. × True False
7. Visitors to Camelot Park can taste candy like the candy made in ancient England. Visitors to Dollywood can taste candy like the candy made in the American South 150 years ago. × True False
8. Camelot Park has the oldest roller coaster in the world. Camelot Park does not have the oldest roller coaster in the world. 9. Camelot Park has an ancient English farm. × True False
10. Camelot Park has places for visitors to watch and maybe take part in sword fighting. True False
Discuss the questions below. The purpose of Dolly wood is to show and celebrate Americas traditional southeastern culture. Probably a lot of Americans will visit this theme park. 1. What is the purpose of Dollywood? What kind of people do you think will visits this theme park?
2. What do you know about ancient English stories? What other activities do you imagine there are at Camelot Park? 3. Disneyland is a place to have fun. What will you do if you have a chance to visit Disneyland ? 4. If you have a chance to visit one of these three parks, which will you visit ? Why?
Free-fall rides Where do you think they are?
1. theme: e.g. The theme for tonights talk is education. They played the theme song of the famous film. Language points a main subject or idea
2. fun: have fun: enjoy oneself for fun: for pleasure a lot of / much / no fun / (be) in fun The little cat is full of fun. Its no fun spending the weekend doing nothing. enjoyment; pleasure (U)
3. more than ……; …… This book is more than a grammar., more than happy/glad/willing, etc (to do sth) ( ) We are more than happy to show you around Beijing.
4.various There are various colors to choose from. There are various ways of getting to the stations from here.
variety n. The shopping center sells a variety of goods. At school we learn a variety of things. She made the children glad _________________ ( ). in a variety of ways
5. As you wander around the fantasy amusement park, you may see Snow White or Mickey Mouse in a parade or on the street.
1) wander (v.): to walk slowly across or around an area, usually without a clear direction or purpose We wandered around the shopping area for two hours. She doesnt like wandering the streets aimlessly.
2) amusement (n.) n. ( ) Chinas Cultural Theme Park offers its visitors all kinds of amusement. To her great amusement the actors wig( ) fell off.
amuse oneself The children amused themselves by playing hide-and-seek games. (detective) She amused herself by reading detective stories
6. With all these attractions, no wonder tourism is increasing wherever there is a Disneyland.
no wonder: used to say that you are not surprised by something ( ) No wonder youve got a headache – you drank so much wine.
This is their first time to Beijing – no wonder the children are so excited.
wherever (conj. & adv.): to or at any place, position or situation She is followed by that person wherever she goes., You can sit wherever you want.
whichever, whatever, whenever, whomever It has the same result whichever way you do it., Take whichever you want.
Whatever I have also belongs to you. Whatever happens, Ill always be on your side.,
If you have enough time and money, would you like to go traveling to see the natural beauty of the country or go to the theme park to enjoy yourselves?