Presentation on theme: "1870-1894. 1. Machines eliminate old jobs, and reduce the need for higher skilled workers. 2. More women are entering the workforce because of machines."— Presentation transcript:
1. Machines eliminate old jobs, and reduce the need for higher skilled workers. 2. More women are entering the workforce because of machines. 3. Immigrants get low paying, unskilled jobs in factories.
1. Founded in 1866 2. Included Skilled and Unskilled Workers with over 600,000 members. 3. Excluded: Women, African Americans, and Chinese Immigrants. 4. Fights for: Higher Wages, Safe Working Conditions, 8 Hr. Work Day, Right to Negotiate Contracts. 5. Ended during the Depression of the 1870’s.
1. Known as the “Noble and Holy Order of the Knights of Labor.” 2. Starting in 1869, the KOL became a political group on behalf of labor in the 1880’s. 3. Leader: Terence V. Powderly 4. Goals: A. Higher Wages B. 8 Hr. Work Day C. Safer Working Conditions D. Favors the Chinese Exclusion Act
1. 5/4/1886 2. Knights of Labor clash with Police. 3. Labor blamed for the death of Police Officers when a bomb is thrown in to the crowd. 4. Knights collapse 5. Gov. Altgeld pardons the Knights found guilty of the bombing.
1. Founder: Samuel Gompers 2. Founded: 1886 3. Excludes: Unskilled Labor, Women, African Americans, and most Immigrant Groups. 4. Goals: A. Higher Wages B. Fewer Working Hrs. C. Safer Working Conditions D. Demand “Closed” Shops 5. The AFL DOES NOT care about : Social Reforms