Presentation on theme: "If our class were an exact representation of the World, then….. 60% of the students would be Asian 14% of the students would be African 12% of the students."— Presentation transcript:
If our class were an exact representation of the World, then….. 60% of the students would be Asian 14% of the students would be African 12% of the students would be European 9% of the students would be Latin-American 5% of the students would be North American
1. Which continent has the largest population? 2. Which continent has the smallest population?
* Asia Birth Rate = 20/1000Death Rate = 7/1000 * Africa Birth Rate = 38/1000Death Rate = 15/1000 * Europe Birth Rate = 10/1000Death Rate = 12/1000 * Latin-America Birth Rate = 21/1000Death Rate = 6/1000 * North America Birth Rate = 14/1000Death Rate = 8/1000
*Asian Population, currently 3.9 billion, will double by *African Population, currently 924 million, will double by *European Population, currently 732 million, will not double. *Latin-American Population, currently 566 million, will double by *North American Population, currently 332 million, will double by *Total World Population, currently 6.5 billion, will double by *If growth rates continue as present, earths population will be 13 billion by 2066, of which only 500 million will be North American. (3.8%)
3. Which continent has the highest birth rate? 4. Which continent is not increasing in population?
CategoryAsiaAfricaEuropeLatin- America North America Literacy Rate 86% of Males, 73% of Females 72% of Males, 54% of Females 99% of Males, 99% of Females 91% of Males, 90% of Females 96% of Males, 95% of Females Number of Children per Woman Life Expectancy 68 years52 years75 years72 years78 years Access to Sanitation Facilities 74% of urban, 31% of rural 62% of urban, 30% of rural 98% of urban, 92% of rural 84% of urban, 44% of rural 100% of urban and rural
CategoryAsiaAfricaEuropeLatin- America North America Infant Mortality Rate 4.9 %8.4 %0.7 %2.6 %0.7 % Medical Doctor/# of People 1 out of 939 people 1 out of 1,791 people 1 out of 284 people 1 out of 585 people 1 out of 397 people Urban Dwellers 38 %37 %75 %76 %79 % Farm Land /Person 0.4 acres0.6 acres1.0 acres0.8 acres1.7 acres
5. Which continent has the highest literacy rate? 6. Which continent has the highest percentage of urban dwellers?
ContinentAverage Yearly Income per Adult Citizen Amount of Oil Used by Citizen per Year Asia$1,500 / year0.5 barrels / year Africa$500 / year0.2 barrels / year Europe$30,500 / year1.4 barrels / year Latin-America$4,000 / year1.2 barrels / year North America$42,000 / year22 barrels / year 1 Barrel = Approximately 42 gallons of gasoline
7. Which continent uses the least amount of gasoline? 8. Which continent makes the most money per average citizen?
Give at least two reasons explaining why North America, which has the smallest population of any continent, also is the richest continent and has the most powerful army.