Presentation on theme: "THE ADAMS ADMINISTRATION – 1797-1801 1.Under Washington, the 1 st Judiciary Act of 1789 was passed which established the Supreme Court, district courts,"— Presentation transcript:
THE ADAMS ADMINISTRATION – Under Washington, the 1 st Judiciary Act of 1789 was passed which established the Supreme Court, district courts, and circuit courts of appeals.
– The XYZ Affair – French were angered over Jay’s Treaty and began seizing ships. Adams sent delegates to France to avoid war. French leaders known as XYZ met with delegates and tried to bribe them to meet with the French Foreign Minister. Delegates refused to pay and tension increased between the U.S. and the French.
– The Alien & Sedition Acts – President gained the right to imprison or deport citizens of other countries. Anyone who wrote, published, or printed anything against the government could be jailed or fined. Naturalization Act – increased number of years needed to become a citizen.
– Virginia & Kentucky Resolution – Groups of Jeffersonian Republicans from these two states passed legislation that attempted to nullify federal law if it violated the Constitution – Gabriel Prosser’s Rebellion – Slave rebellion in Virginia. 6.Land Act of 1800 – To develop the new lands of the NW Territory, people could now buy land on credit.
– Revolution of 1800 – Election of 1800 that marked the 1 st peaceful transfer of power from 1 political party to another. Jefferson beats Adams due to domestic/foreign tension that developed under Adams. Election went to the House where Jefferson won on the 36 th ballot.
THE JEFFERSON ADMINISTRATION – Judiciary Act of 1801 – Decreased the number of Supreme Court judges and increased the number of federal judges to limit Jefferson’s appointments to the Supreme Court. Also done to appoint Federalists to federal judges such as William Marbury.
– Marbury v. Madison & Judicial Review under John Marshall – One of Adam’s “midnight judges” failed to get commission from Madison (Jefferson’s Sec. of State). Marbury sued and it went to Supreme Court. Marshall ruled that the Judiciary Act was unconstitutional. This was the first act of Judicial Review.
– Louisiana Purchase – Delegates sent to purchase valuable city of New Orleans. Seeking money to battle the English, Napoleon sold entire territory for 15 million. Cause another debate regarding strict vs. loose construction – Lewis & Clark Expeditions – Look for river routes to the Pacific, make contact with Native Americans, and gather info about natural resources.
– Chesapeake-Leopard Affair – British ship attacked the USS Chesapeake killing American citizens. Increased tensions between the US and Great Britain. 6.The Embargo of 1807 – Jefferson outraged by the attack placed an embargo on trade with all foreign countries instead of war. Backfired and only hurt the American economy. States in New England threatened to secede and the Embargo was repealed in Jefferson 2 nd term was ruined.