We think you have liked this presentation. If you wish to download it, please recommend it to your friends in any social system. Share buttons are a little bit lower. Thank you!
Presentation is loading. Please wait.
Published byDanna Bledsoe
Modified over 2 years ago
CHARACTERISTICS OF LIVING THINGS
1. Living thing Are Made of Cells1. Are made up of cells and organisms can be a. Unicellular – one cell; single cell b. Multicellular – many-celled.
2. Living things reproduceA. Asexual – new organism has a single parent. B. Sexual – two cells from different organisms. unite to produce 1st cell of new organism. (most common form)
3. Living things are based on a universal genetic code3. Is based on a universal genetic code (DNA) that determines inherited characteristics of every organism on Earth
4. Living things grow and developat some point increase in size organisms change (develop) over the course of their lifetime
5. Living things obtain and use energy5. Obtain and use materials and energy need these to just stay alive. need constant supply of energy and metabolism.
Metabolism Definition: Metabolism – combination of all chemical reactions in the body that builds or breaks down materials as it carries out its life function.
6. Living things respond to their environmentOrganisms detect and respond to stimuli in their environment. Definition: stimuli – a signal to which an organism responds Can be external or internal.
7. Living things maintain a stable internal environmentProcess to do this is known as homeostasis. Often involves internal feedback mechanisms.
8. Living things change over time8. Taken as a group organisms change over time; these changes are small at any one time but over long periods of time can be significant.
Levels of Organization
Welcome Back! Find your name tent and sit in the same seat as last class! AGENDA Discuss and turn in Living vs Non Living Lab Review lab safety procedures.
1. Are made up of cells and organisms can be a. Unicellular – one cell; single cell b. Multicellular – many-celled.
Characteristics of Living Things
Characteristics of Life
CHARACTERISTICS OF LIVING THINGS
Characteristics of Living Things Chapter 1-3. There are 8 characteristics that apply to all living things. If one or more doesn’t apply, it’s not truly.
Characteristics of Living Things. Characteristics of ALL Living Things.
Characteristics of Living Things What does it mean to be alive?
CHARACTERISTICS OF LIVING THINGS. 1. Made up of Cells Unicellular – made of one cell (ex. Ameba) Multicellular – made of many cells (more than one – ex.
Studying Life: What does it mean to be alive? Objectives: 1. Describe some characteristics of living things 2. Explain how life can be studied at different.
Characteristics of Living things (8) Biology: the study of life Organism: any living thing 1) DNA: all living things have DNA (Deoxyribonucleic acid) in.
Characteristics of Life Regents Biology Unit 1 “The Living Environment” The living environment is essentially a biology course Biology- the study of.
Is It Alive?? 1. Living Things Are Made Up of Cells Unicellular organisms are made of 1 cell Multicellular organisms are made of more than 1 cell Cells.
CHARACTERISTICS OF LIFE BIOLOGY: the study of life.
Characteristics of Life Chapter 1.3 Studying Life.
Studying Life. Characteristics of Living Things Many characteristics constitute living Are cars living because the move? Is a fire alive because it.
Chapter 1 Section 3: Studying Life. Characteristics of Living Things Made up of cells Reproduction Based on universal genetic code. Growth and Development.
What is Biology?. Biology is the Study of Life Biologist study the interactions of life. Entomologist Anthropologist Ornithologist Etc…
Characteristics of Living Things The word BIOLOGY means “the study of life.” Biology seeks to understand the living world. Biology is part of everyday.
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_r608nDoqo. CHARACTERISTICS OF LIFE BIOLOGY: the study of life.
Copyright Pearson Prentice Hall
Biology is defined as “the study of the living world”. One of the most important base concepts of biology is deciding what is living, and what is.
Made up of Cells 1. Background Need for materials and energy 5. Reproduction 2. Based on genetic code 3. Grow and Develop 4. Response to environment 6.
Studying Life Chapter 1.3.
Studying Life 1-3. Biology Means study of life Science that seeks to understand the living world In order to be considered alive, organisms must meet.
The Study of Life Biology is the scientific study of living organisms.
What is life?. Characteristics of Living Things. Mr. Hanczyc.
Characteristics of Life. What are the characteristics of life? 1. All living things are made up of cells. a. Cells are the basic units of living things,
Exploring Life Miss Napolitano & Mrs. Haas, CP Biology.
Characteristics of Living Things. Levels of Organization: CELLS → TISSUE → ORGAN → ORGAN SYSTEM → ORGANISM.
What makes something alive??
Characteristics of Life 1) are made of cells 2) reproduce 3) are based on genetic code of DNA 4) grow and develop 5) obtain and use materials and energy.
Biology How Scientists Work. Designing an experiment Asking a question ◦ How do new living things, or organisms, come into being? Forming a Hypothesis.
The characteristics of living organisms. All living things are made of cells. have DNA obtain and use energy. Excrete wastes grow and develop. reproduce.
Characteristics of Life. Biology Biology is the study of life. A biologist seeks to understand the living world. “Bio” = life “ology” = study of.
Lesson Overview Lesson Overview Studying Life 1.3 Studying Life.
Characteristics of Living Things Period 4. -organization:is the high degree of order within an organism’s internal and external parts and in its interactions.
Objective: You will be able to differentiate between living and nonliving things. Do Now: Read the introduction on top of page 16 Define biology.
It’s Alive!!! What all living things have in common.
Studying Life Section 1.3.
Introduction to Biology Chapter 1 August 26, 2015.
Introduction to Biology What are the characteristics of living things?
1 Study of Biology copyright cmassengale. 2 What is Biology? Biology is the study of all living things Living things are called organisms Living things.
Chapter 1 Section 3 Studying Life. Biology Biology is defined as the study of living organisms and the processes they undergo.
© 2017 SlidePlayer.com Inc. All rights reserved.