Presentation on theme: "Unit 1 Can We Help You eading Dulcie Butler is good at helping people with their problems. If you need advice about 1 something difficult in your life,"— Presentation transcript:
Unit 1 Can We Help You eading Dulcie Butler is good at helping people with their problems. If you need advice about 1 something difficult in your life, 2 write to her. It can be a big problem or a small one. Dulcie will have some advice for you. Tip: Find out the characters’ problems and the advice given.
1. something difficult difficult 修飾前面的不定詞 something 。 此用法亦適用於 anything/everything/ nothing/anybody/someone/anyone 等其他不定代名詞。 There is nothing wrong with his car.
2. write 表「寫信」時，有以下幾種用法 (1) Write us a letter/Write (a letter) to us as soon as you reach New York. ( 寫信給某人 ) (2) Ron wrote (me) that he got a new job last week. ( 寫信告知‧‧‧ ) (3) Sam wrote thanking us for the birthday present. ( 寫信以達到某種目的 )
Dear Dulcie, I am fifteen and I have to share a room with my 1 nine-year-old sister. She is very untidy and I have to clean up her mess all the time. She never 2 leaves my things alone and keeps opening my drawers and looking at everything inside.
3 Nothing I have is private. Also, I’m not allowed to do 4 what I want to do. Mom says I must turn my radio off at night because the noise keeps my sister awake. What can I do? Linda Questions
1. nine-year-old 當形容詞用，修飾 sister 一字。 2. leave my things alone (1) 此為 S + Vt (leave/keep/find/make) + O + OC (adj.) 的句型。 (2) leave…alone 在此指「不觸碰」。 3. Nothing I have is private. Nothing 、 something 、 anything 、 everything 等不定代名詞當主詞時， 皆視為單數，其後接單數動詞。 Everything has a price.
4. what I want to do what + S + V 形式所構成的 名詞子句，在此為受詞用法， 另外也可當主 詞用： (1) 當作受詞的用法，參考本課句型解析 2 You can’t take away what you haven’t paid for. (2) 當作主詞時，動詞通常為「第三人稱單數」 What you did was right.
Q1. Whom does Linda share her room with? She shares her room with her nine-year- old sister. Q2. What does Linda complain about her sister? Q3. Why does Linda have to turn her radio off at night? Her sister is untidy, and she never leaves Linda's things alone. Because the noise keeps her sister awake.
Dear Dulcie, I have a problem. My parents always talk to me about studying. 1 What they want me to do is study, study, and study, so I can get into a good college. I know schoolwork is very important, but my parents put too much pressure on me. Please 2 help me explain to them that I need some free time. Adam Questions
1. What they want me to do is study, study, and study.... All they want me to do is study, study, and study.... 此為 what 關係代名詞子句為主詞的句型。此句 型中若以不定詞片語為受詞時，多會省略 to 另 外 what 可以與 all 互換。 2. 以 help 表示「幫助別人 ( 做 ) 某事」時，用法： Helen helped her sister (to) take care of the baby. Can you help me with my homework?
Q1. What is the problem with Adam? Q2.What does Adam ask Dulcie to help him? His parents always talk to him about studying. He asks Dulcie to help him explain to his parents that he needs some free time.
Dear, This is a common problem for 1 people of your age. 2 Try talking to your parents about how you feel. Let them know you respect them. Perhaps you can make a deal with them. 3 For example, 4 ask them for a day off each week to do what you want to do. Dulcie Questions
1. people (of) your age 意指「與你同 年齡的人」 ， of 在此可以省略。 2. try talking... try + V-ing 表示「嘗試‧‧‧」之意 If you can’t sleep, try taking a hot bath. 另外， try + to V 則表示「努力試圖達成某 種目的」的意思： I tried to get up early, so I could get to work on time.
3. for example 意指「例如、比如說」，類似 的片語尚有 for instance 。 The farmer raises a lot of animals. For example/For instance, there are 250 cows and 400 chickens on his farm. 4. ask someone for something 向某人要求 They asked John for US$5,000 to repair the car.
Q2.What advice does Dulcie give to Adam? She advises Adam to talk to his parents and make a deal with them. Teenagers don't have much free time. Q1. What is the common problem for teenagers?
Dear, 1 It can’t be easy to share a room with a messy little nine-year-old. I think 2 she’s old enough to tidy her own things. Why don’t you and your mother 3 show her how to put her things away neatly?
Perhaps you could 4 get a box with a 5 lock and key to lock your very special things away. If you have the right kind of radio and enough money, you could buy some earphones for it.
Then your little sister won’t be disturbed 6 at night. Finally, 7 don’t forget that when little sisters 8 grow up, they can become good friends with their older sisters. Dulcie Questions
1. It can’t be easy to share a room with a messy little nine-year-old. Sharing a room with a messy little nine-year- old can’t be easy. To share a room with a messy little nine-year- old can’t be easy. (1) It 為虛主詞，代表後面的不定詞 片語 (to share a room...) 。 (2) can’t 此為「不可能」之意，為加強語氣 A boy can’t grow 5 inches within one day!
2. be + adj. + enough to V He is tall enough to play on the basketball team. 3.... show her how to put her things away neatly. how 引導名詞片語，當動詞 show 的受詞。
4. get a box with a lock and key get a box which/that has a lock and key 5. lock...away 將 ‧‧‧ 上鎖保管好 (= lock...up) When you are not at home, you’d better lock your jewelry away/up.
6. at night 在夜間 7. don’t forget that... 記得 = remember that... Don’t forget that I’m waiting outside. Remember that I’m waiting outside.
8. grow up 長大 I want to be a teacher when I grow up. Mr. Lin grew up in Tainan and moved to Taipei when he was 18 years old. 另外， bring up 為「將‧‧‧撫養長 大」的意思。例： The widow brought up four children by herself.
Q1: What does Dulcie advise to deal with a messy nine-year-old sister? Q2:What advice does Dulcie give to Linda to have privacy? Q3:What can Linda do to enjoy listening to the radio at night? She advises Linda to show her sister how to put her things away neatly. She advises Linda to get a box with a lock and key to lock her special things away. She can buy earphones.
Post- eading Reading Comprehension I. Write down Linda’s and Adam’s problems and find out Dulcie’s advice for them. Problem Dulcie’s Advice Linda Adam sharing a room with her little sister Teach her little sister how to tidy up her own things; put things in a box with a l ock; use earphones not having enough free time have a talk with his parents and make a deal with them
II. Choose the correct answer to the following statement. ( ) The reading is mainly about. (A) making plans (B) getting attention (C) complaining about one’s life (D) asking for and giving advice D
(A)… is nine years old. (B)…gives people advice. (C)… always talk to him about studying. (D)…complains about having her own room (E)…hopes to have more time III. Match the items on the left with those on the right based on the reading. 1. Dulcie... 2. Linda... 3. Linda’s sister... 4. Adam... 5. Adam’s parents... Topics for Discussion
I. What do you think about Dulcie’s advice? What advice would you give Linda and Adam?
II. People of your age usually have some common problems. List as many problems as you can. What are the top five problems in your class? What advice would you give about them?
Basically, I agree with Dulcie’s advice, but I also have my own solutions to Linda’s and Adam’s problems. I have the following alternative solutions for Linda: (1) She could talk to her sister first. If she is nice to her sister, I believe her sister will be nice to her, too.
(2) She could talk to her parents to see if it is possible to have her own bedroom. (3) She could teach her sister to clean the bedroom. If her sister does it right, she could give her little gifts or candies to encourage her.
As for Adam, I think he should: (1) show his parents that he can do very well without their pressure; (2) concentrate more while studying and work harder than before; (3) discuss with his parents and make a schedule that includes study hours and free time;
(4) talk to his parents and tell them that he has grown up, and that he will take responsibility for his own future. I hope my advice will be helpful for Linda and Adam.
ProblemsAdvices having too much homework doing homework during the recess instead of taking all of it home not having enough free time learning to organize time better not having enough money looking for a part-time job not being treated as an adult trying to be more responsible
ProblemsAdvices being overweighteating less and exercising more being too shortplaying basketball having trouble communicating with parents trying to be more patient and understanding not using time wellmaking a daily schedule