Presentation on theme: "1. What is a climate zone? 24 zones in the region from the Rocky Mountains to the Pacific Ocean. Each zone has certain temperatures, rainfall amounts,"— Presentation transcript:
1. What is a climate zone? 24 zones in the region from the Rocky Mountains to the Pacific Ocean. Each zone has certain temperatures, rainfall amounts, snow amounts, and weather patterns that effect plant growth.
HOW ABOUT WE CAR POOL?
2. Latitude The further you go from the equator, the longer and colder the winters are.
3. Elevation Higher elevation means longer, colder winters, intense sun, lower night temp.
4. Ocean influence Mild, moist weather blows in from the Pacific ocean.
5. Continental Air Influence Inland weather. Colder winter, hotter summer, rain throughout the year, can be windy.
6. Mountains, Hills, and Valleys These change the influence of the marine air that comes in from the ocean.
7. Microclimates The local terrain can change the climate in a zone. Hillsides, slopes, lowland – all affect the climate.
8. What is the climate zone for Battle Ground?
9. How long is the growing season in the Portland area?
10. What does maritime climate mean? Climate influenced by the ocean. Milder temperatures, plentiful rainfall.
11. Why is it important to know the climate zone you live in? Determines which plants can grow there.
12. List a tree with red foliage (leaves) that can grow in BG. List common and sci. name. Japanese Maple Acer palmatum
13. List a tree that tolerates shade that can grow in BG. List common and sci. name. Dogwood Cornus sp.
14. What is the scientific name for the Pansy? (Genus and species) Viola wittrockiana
15. How much sun does the Pansy need? Look under P, like an encyclopedia. Varies by species
16. Is the Pansy an annual or a perennial? Perennial, but usually grown as an annual.
17. The pansies are listed as V. species, (V for Viola).The main species we grow is wittrockiana. What zones will this species grow in? All Zones