Presentation on theme: "Chapter 7 Are there any fallacies in the reasoning?"— Presentation transcript:
Chapter 7 Are there any fallacies in the reasoning?
1. The purpose of identifying fallacies is 10 a.to discount or destroy someone’s argument b.sort out stronger arguments from weaker ones c.embarrass the author/speaker
2. Which is more important about reasoning fallacies? 10 a.understanding and using the process of locating them b. precisely naming and defining them
3. Attack ads against a political candidate in which their character is assassinated could be considered 15 a.mean b.ad populum c.ad hominem d. straw person
4. A reasoning fallacy that may keep one from making decisions and compromises in their personal life is 15 a.equivocation b.searching for a perfect solution c.wishful thinking d. none of the above
5. Which of the following reasoning fallacies is typically not used in TV commercials? 10 a.appeal to popularity b.appeal to emotions c.Red Herring d.glittering generalities
6. Fallacies serve to 10 a.distract by introducing that which is beside the point, such as explaining by naming b.distort by oversimplifying the point, such as a red herring c.both a and b d. neither a nor b