Presentation on theme: "1. Write 3-5 goals for this school year.. 2. Which of the following is an interrogative sentence? a.Put the boxes of books in the living room until I."— Presentation transcript:
1. Write 3-5 goals for this school year.
2. Which of the following is an interrogative sentence? a.Put the boxes of books in the living room until I have time to unpack. b.I wonder if you could put the boxes of books in the living room for now. c.You need to just put those boxes in the living room. d.Can you please put those boxes in the living room?
3. The sentence below is an example of which type of sentence? We read about time travel, robots, and giant animals. A.Imperative B.Exclamatory C.Declarative D.interrogative
4. Which word in the sentence below is the subject? A ten-dollar bill is a nice birthday gift to give. A.ten B.bill C.gift D.dollar
5. Which is the verb in the sentence below? The team was winning the championship. A.was winning B.team was C.was D.playoff
6. Which pronoun should replace the underlined word in the sentence below? Chidori spent all afternoon completing Chidori’s research paper. A.hers B.she C.her D.she’s
7. What is the structure of the sentence below? Kyle worked at a restaurant, he wanted to pay for his truck. a.compound b.complex c.compound-complex d.simple
8. What is the definition of a noun?
9. How should the punctuation be corrected in the following sentence? Everyone, including me was surprised at how much money we raised. a.remove the comma after everyone b.add a comma after surprised c.add a comma after much d.add a comma after me
10. What is the definition of a pronoun? Give three examples
11. Jane needs to find another word for excitement. What resource would help her most? A.a dictionary B.a thesaurus C.a glossary D.an index
12. Mark is doing a presentation on the layers of the layers of the earth. What resource would give him information on temperature of the earth’s core. a.a dictionary b.an encyclopedia c.a world atlas d.“The Reader’s Guide to Periodical Literature”
13. Where would you look if you wanted to see the sources from the book you were reading from? A.glossary B.bibliography C.index D.table of contents
14. What is the purpose of the sentence below. I can’t believe you did this! A.make a statement B.ask a question C.make a request D.state a strong feeling
15. What is the simple predicate of the sentence below? Jaleel and his friend should have come to the party. a.come to b.should c.should have come d.to the party
16. Which verb BEST completes the sentence below? When you ____ please phone me and I will pick you up at the airport. a.arrive b.arrives c.will arrive d.have arrived
17. What is the structure of the sentence below? Tara got a new cell phone for her birthday, but she didn’t know how to use it. a.compound b.complex c.compound-complex d.simple
18. Which sentence below is a compound sentence? a.My mom and dad went to rallies and protested over twenty years ago. b.I have never been to Mexico, but I like tacos. c.Because my parents are short, I am afraid I won’t be able to play basketball. d.I played my best and I won the tournament.
19. Which sentence below is a compound sentence? a.The Beatles and the Monkee’s sang and recorded songs over twenty years ago. b.I have never played baseball, but I like to watch the games. c.Because baldness is inherited, I am afraid of going bald when I get older. d.It was a shock to everyone when I won the contest.
20. Which conjunction BEST completes the sentence below? Mia has only been here one week, ____she has already made lots of friends. a.while b.so c.though d.but
21. What verb tense is used in the sentence below? Tomorrow I will plant a rose bush in my grandmother’s yard. a.past b.past perfect c.present d.future
22. Which of the following sentences is a fragment? a.Marlene left. b.Dogs in my neighborhood barking all night long. c.the moon is full tonight. d.Michael and I are cleaning the garage this afternoon.
23. What is the adjective clause in the sentence below? Yesterday’s game, which lasted two hours, was played before the thunderstorm struck. a.Yesterday’s game b.which lasted two hours c.was played d.before the thunderstorm struck
24. A comparative adjective is a.used to compare and contrast two items. b.used as a modifier of a dependent clause. c.a word which compares the degrees of quality of many items. d.a modifier that identifies a verb.
25. Eddie Haskell, a brat who sits in the front row, has a _______ notebook than Wally. Which word BEST completes the sentence above? a.thick b.thicker c.most thick d.thickest
26. Use the following poem to answer the question Mother to Son Langston Hughes Well son, I’ll tell you Life for me aint been no crystal stair It had tacks in it, and splinters, and boards torn up, and places with no carpet on the floor- Bare But all the time I’se been a climbin’ on. and reachin’ landins’ and turnin’ corners and sometimes goin in the dark When the author writes, “Life for me aint been no crystal stair” this is an example of A.alliteration B.metaphor C.onomatopoeia D.personification
27. Use the poem to answer the question Mother to Son Langston Hughes Well son, I’ll tell you Life for me aint been no crystal stair It had tacks in it, and splinters, and boards torn up, and places with no carpet on the floor- Bare But all the time I’se been a climbin’ on. and reachin’ landins’ and turnin’ corners and sometimes goin in the dark The mother in the passage seems to be telling her son that life can be hard but a.try to keep your room neat b.laying carpet can be harder c.keep on trying the best you can d.you’ll have crystal stairs to climb.
28. Use the poem to answer the question What BEST describes the mother’s tone in this passage? a.encouraging b.disapproving c.grateful d.angry Mother to Son Langston Hughes Well son, I’ll tell you Life for me aint been no crystal stair It had tacks in it, and splinters, and boards torn up, and places with no carpet on the floor- Bare But all the time I’se been a climbin’ on. and reachin’ landins’ and turnin’ corners and sometimes goin in the dark
30. Use the poem to answer the question. The author uses all of these to represent life’s problems EXCEPT a.splinters b.corners c.tracks d.crystal Mother to Son Langston Hughes Well son, I’ll tell you Life for me aint been no crystal stair It had tracks in it, and splinters, and boards torn up, and places with no carpet on the floor- Bare But all the time I’se been a climbin’ on. and reachin’ landins’ and turnin’ corners and sometimes goin in the dark
When reading, we ought to hear the voice of words as well as remember their faces- just as you know voices on the phone as well as remember faces on the street. 30. In the sentence above, the author speaks of the “faces” of words to refer to the way a.words look on the page b.words sound when read aloud c.people appear on the street d.people spell word
31. What change should be made in the sentence below? One of the principals of yoga is that good health results from doing exercise routines and practicing breathing techniques. a.change principals to principles b.change is to are c.change exercise to exercize d.change practicing to practice
32. What change should be made to sentence 1? (1)In her speech on the power and danger of dreams, Dr. Madeline Weinstein made an illusion to Ralph Waldo Emerson. (2)She quoted his words, we do not like those who unmask our illusions.” a.change the power and danger of dreams to The Power and Danger of Dreams b.Delete the period after Dr. c.Change made to make d.Change illusion to allusion
33. What change should be made to sentence 2? (1)In her speech on the power and danger of dreams, Dr. Madeline Weinstein made an illusion to Ralph Waldo Emerson. (2)She quoted his words, We do not like those who unmask our illusions.” a.Change quoted to quote b.delete the comma after words c.insert a quotation mark before We d.Change We to we
34. What changes should be made in the sentence below? During the rain of Queen Victoria, Britain tightened its rein on India. A.change rain to rein B.change Queen to queen C.delete the comma after Victoria D.change rein to rain
35. Christopher is writing a persuasive essay about banning smoking in public places such as restaurants and elevators. What key words would be BEST to use to find information on the internet to support his argument? a.history of smoking b.smoking in restaurants c.public places d.smoking in public places
36. which of the following is a run- on sentence? a.The setting sun cast a long arm over the bay, and it seemed to reach out for miles. b.Many popular books are turned into movies; some are successful, while some are not. c.“My Side of the Mountain” is one of my favorite books I’ve read it at least six times. d.Armando likes to read tales of mystery and suspense since they keep him on the edge of his seat.
37. Hector has decided to write a research paper on his favorite author, Gary Paulsen. Which of the following would be the best source for him to use? a.a dictionary b.an atlas c.an almanac d.a biography
38. What is the structure of the sentence below? When you write a business letter, make sure you know the exact title and address of the recipient. a.simple sentence b.compound sentence c.complex sentence d.compound-complex sentence
39. Use the text below to answer the question. Which contains an error in punctuation? a.September 19, 2004 b.Rome, Ga. 30161 c.Mr. Sydney Jones d.Atlanta, Ga, 30303 September 19, 2004 148 Main Street Rome, Ga. 30161 Mr. Sydney Jones Feature Editor Atlanta Daily World 145 Auburn Avenue, NE Atlanta, Ga, 30303
40. Which of these sentences contains an error? A.For the party, they had board games to play, CDs to dance to, and videos to watch. B.A good sense of humor and a positive attitude will take you far. C.He wanted to swim in the ocean and canoeing on the lake D.Hard work and no play can be a recipe for disaster.
41. Which word is the subject of the sentence below? As a result of my experiences in baby- sitting, I would like to work as an intern in a day care facility. A.result B.baby-sitting C.I D.intern
42. What is the structure of the sentence below? After the clouds cleared, the sun came out and dried up all the rain. A.simple B.compound C.compound- complex D.complex
43. What is the “job” of conjunctions? A.Show action B.Connect words and phrases C.name a person, place or thing D.show relation.
44. Which of the following sentences does NOT contain an error in punctuation. A.After Jackson hit the ball he raced around the bases. B.Although we did our best to board up the house, the flood caused a lot of damage. C.“Thank you for your votes, Loretta said. D.Do you think that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.
45. What change should be made to the sentence below? Paige said, Don’t look back. something is behind you!” A.Delete the comma after said B.Insert a quotation mark before Don’t C.Delete the apostrophe in Don’t D.Change Don’t to don’t
46. What change should be made to the sentence below? After desegregation, Satchel Paige played with the Cleveland Indians and St Louis a.Change desecration to desegrasion b.Delete the comma after desegregation c.Change Cleveland Indians to cleveland indians d.Insert a period after St.
47. What is the prepositional phrase in this sentence? The cow jumped over the moon. a.The cow b.over the moon c.cow jumped over d.the moon
48. Which sentence contains the correct pronoun? a.Whom campaigned all week prior to the election? b.Who won the election? c.For who is the phone call about the over due library book? d.Whom, along with Sam, will clean the kitchen?
49. Which of the following sentence is correct? a.Me and Greg went to the game last night. b.John, Peter, and us went to the Red Hawks game. c.Jim, Clancy, and I went to the Braves game last night. d.Greg, Elizabeth and me went to the new stadium last night.
50. Which correction should be made to the sentence below? Me and the gang always worked well together on projects on the ball team. a.Me and them always worked well together on projects for the ball team. b.The gang and I always worked well together on projects for the ball team. c.I and the gang always worked well together on team projects. d.Them and me always worked well together on team projects.
51. Which of the following sentences uses the comma correctly? a.Green eggs, and ham don’t go together. b.I don’t like eggs, and you don’t like ham. c.The green eggs, and ham breakfast is ready to eat. d.I don’t like eggs or ham.
52. Where should the semicolon be placed in the sentence below? The large Asian Supermarket fascinated me I can find everything from frozen show mein to soybean sprouts in one place. a.after everything b.after me c.after from d.after supermarket
53. Which of the following sentences has correct capitalization? a.The picnic will be held on the fourth of july. b.Our newspaper the elk grove banner, is the most read publication in the area. c.President Johnson gave medals to Forrest Gump and Lieutenant Dan. d.The Washington D.C. area is beautiful in Spring.
54. What is the direct object in the sentence below? Our history class built a model of the Alamo. a.model b.history c.class d.Alamo
55. Which sentence contains an adverb clause that modifies the verb? A.Mike thinks that he will win the lottery. B.Why don’t you do your work? C.We waited for hours until the runaway dog came home. D.We offered whoever told the truth a lot of money.
56. Which of the following is NOT a complete sentence? A.Your necklace was placed in the window of the jewelry store. B.The man in the first car is the president of France. C.Where you go on vacation. D.Jennifer, where have you placed my old sweater?
57. Which word in the sentence below is the object of a preposition? Mrs. Little Feather will choose the lead actors during the rehearsal. A.choose B.actors C.during D.rehearsal
58. Leonard is doing research to find out what the planet Saturn’s rings are made of. Which key word should he use in his search for information? A.rings B.planet C.universe D.Saturn
59. Where does the phrase with the broken wheel belong in the sentence below? Please bring the bicycle to the repair shop with the broken wheel. a.before Please b.between Please and bring c.Between bring and the bicycle d.between bicycle and to the repair shop
60. Which sentence contains the correct pronoun? A.The teacher asked for who? B.Whom besides Mr. Tanner worked in the concession stand? C.Whom did Martha see at the game? D.Whom will attend the recital?
61. What correction should be made to the sentence below? Them sat behind me at the game. a.Them sat behind I at the game. b.Him sat behind me at the game. c.Them sat behind us at the game. d.They sat behind me at the game.
62. Which word BEST completes the sentence below? If ____ want to, Charles and Patricia can sit in the front row. a.they b.they’re c.we d.them
63. What are the descriptive words in the sentence below? Mr. Napier helped some students prepare for the algebra test. a.Mr. Napier, helped b.students, the c.some, algebra d.for, test
64. Which word in the sentence below is spelled incorrectly? I saw the benefits of our workout rootine, but Randy though it was merely an annoyance. A.benefits B.rootine C.merely D.annoyance
65. Where should the comma be placed in the sentence below. The cafeteria is serving meat loaf, fish sticks, macaroni and cheese and tomatoes and cucumber salad. a.after cafeteria b.after serving c.after cheese d.after tomato
66. Which sentence is written correctly? A.The mystery has been solved of the missing wallet. B.The missing wallet has been solved of the mystery. C.Of the missing wallet, the mystery has been solved. D.The mystery of the missing wallet has been solved.
67. Which of the following is a compound sentence? A.Swimming and diving require lots of practice. B.If Jackie doesn’t get here soon, I’m leaving. C.I painted the garage door, and it looks much better. D.Today’s newspaper is here, I read the headlines.
68. Which sentence is punctuated correctly? A.Chiku won her heat in the 100-meter dash; no one else on her team advanced. B. Chiku won her heat in the 100-meter dash, no one else on her team advanced. C.Chiku won her heat in the 100-meter dash no one else on her team advanced. D.Chiku won her heat in the 100-meter dash, no one else on her team, advanced.
69. In the sentence below, the underlined word is what part of speech? Play your trumpet in the basement so that we can watch TV upstairs. A.a noun B.a verb C.an adjective D.a preposition
70. What kind of sentence is the one below? Although Heather was nervous, she performed beautifully, and the band director asked her to play again next week. A.compound-complex B.complex C.compound D.simple
71. In the sentence below, which word is the subject Rashaun loaned Jason his notes on atoms for science class. a.Rashaun b.Jason c.atoms d.class
72. Which sentence is NOT a complete sentence? A.Your necklace was placed in the window of the jewelry store. B.The man in the first car is the president of France C.Where you go on vacation. D.Jennifer, where have you placed my old sweater?
73. Which words are the simple subjects and simple predicate of the sentence below? Tye, the kid who plays shortstop for the baseball team, found out that his family is moving next year A.kid, plays B.Tye, found out C.family, is moving D.who, shortstop
74. In the sentence below, which words are the complete subject? Andy, Shelia, and their dog Ralph were all caught outside in Saturday’s rain. a.Andy, Shelia, and Ralph b.Andy Shelia, and their dog Ralph all c.Andy, Shelia all d.Andy, Shelia, and their dog Ralph
75. What is the structure of the sentence below? Yesterday we went to the mall, and tomorrow we are going to the library. a.Simple b.Compound c.Complex d.Compound- complex
76. Which pronoun BEST fits in the sentence below? Jon told Jimmy and Eric to put away ___ tools before leaving the garage. a.hers b.their c.there d.they’re
77. Which of the sentences below is an imperative sentence? a.Shut the window before the rain blows in. b.Don’t open that door! c.Did it storm at your house last night? d.The lightning in the spring thunderstorms frightens me.
78. Which of these sentences is a declarative sentence? a.Who left this book on the library table? b.Robbie’s shoe fell off just as he jumped to shoot the basket. c.Drop that gum in the trash right now. d.Turn to page 413 in your literature book.
79. What is the structure of the sentence below? The elf kicked the ball right beside the goalie’s head to score, and the goalie didn’t see it. a.Simple b.Compound c.Complex d.Compound-complex
80. In the sentence below, what change should be made to correct the capitalization error? My brother attends Duke university in Raleigh, North Carolina, and my sister goes out west to Reed College in Portland, Oregon. a. Use a small letter c in Carolina. b. Use a capital W in west. c. Use a capital U in university. d. Use a capital B in brother and a capital s in sister
81. Where does the semicolon belong in the sentence below? Delores, my mother’s friend, married Bob, my father’s brother, and they moved to Seattle they are moving to the Southeast again to be closer to their families. a.after Seattle b.after again c.after brother d.after Bob
82. Which word in the sentence below is an adjective? Hurricanes are storms with extremely strong winds. a.storms b.With c.extremely d.strong
83. Which word in the sentence below has a spelling error? How often do blizzards and other violent weather systems occurr in this area? a.blizzards b.weather c.systems d.occur
84. In the sentence below, what kind of pronoun is the underlined word? That will be your seat. a.Relative b.Demonstrative c.Interrogative d.personal
85. What is the structure of the sentence below? A few species of crocodiles like to live alone, but most live in communities. a.Simple sentence b.Compound sentence c.Complex sentence d.Compound/complex sentence
86. Ana wants to look up the word lava in the dictionary. What pair of guidewords would appear at the top of the page? a.lace/lady b.lamb/land c.latter/lavender d.lay/lead
87. Millie is reading a book about Mexico. Where should she look to find the page number for a specific topic? a.The title page b.The table of contents c.The index d.The glossary
88. Use the screen shot below to answer the question Key word search 1.British Colony Policy 2.The Revolutionary Movement 3.The War of Independence 4.Post-Revolutionary America After doing a key-word search of the American Revolution, Kenji found the article topics on the right. Which topic would provide him with the MOST information about how America adjusted after the war? a.topic 1 b.topic 2 c.topic 3 d.topic 4 American Revolution
89. Which word should be capitalized in the sentence below? On the morning of october 12, 1492, a sailor sighted land. a.morning b.october c.sailor d.land
90. Which of the following sentences would be the BEST choice for the closing sentence in the paragraph below? John thinks he would be a good professional basketball player. He has been playing since he was eight years old. He has well-developed skills and handles the ball with ease. a.In addition, he is very tall and fast. b.Basketball is a very popular sport. c.John is also good at playing baseball. d.John’s father wants him to be a lawyer.
91. Which of the following sentence would work well in a paragraph that describes a party at your friend’s house? a.where to buy party favors b.how long it took to get to the house c.how to bake a cake d.who attended the party
92. You are doing a project on the automobile industry and need information on the first automobiles to be mass produced in the United States. Which chapter would help you the MOST with this information. Use the chart below. a.chapter 2 b.chapter 3 c.chapter 4 d.chapter 5 Automobiles in America Chapter 1.Early Models…………………………1 2.The Assembly Line is Born………...7 3.Planning and Making a Car………..12 4.Automobiles: A Growing Industry…17 5.Automobiles: Change our World…..20
93. Rachel is writing a report on comets. Which research question does NOT relate to the rest of the questions below and should not be used? a.What do comets look like? b.What various substances make up comets? c.What was the discoverer of Halley’s comet like? d.Where do most comets come from?
94. Which sentence below would make the BEST topic sentence for a paragraph? 1.Women’s sports are gaining recognition in the United States. 2.In other states, winter temperatures rarely fall below freezing. 3.First, gather all necessary materials. 4.After the movie ended, the children begged to see it again. a.Sentence 1 b.Sentence 2 c.Sentence 3 d.Sentence 4
95. Luis is writing a report on wheat as an important food source. Which subject below will stray from the topic and should not be included in his rough draft? a.History of wheat b.Uses of wheat c.Kinds of wheat bread d.Location of wheat crops
96. Mahalia Jackson was the singer most responsible for having gospel songs recognized as an art form. Which would be the BEST transition for the ending sentence above? a.Secondly, b.In summary, c.First, d.To begin with,
97. Which of the following is NOT a complete sentence? a.Tuesday is Shania’s birthday. b.She will be twelve years old. c.Some of her friends and relatives live out of town. d.Many of her gifts arrived in the mail.
98. What is the purpose of the sentence below? Open the window. a.ask a question b.make a command c.show excitement d.state a fact
99. Which detail could BEST be added to the paragraph below? a.The 749,268 acres of the Chattahoochee National Forest are in northern Georgia. b.Tourists should dress lightly in summer because the climate will be hot and humid. c.Spectators can applaud at the Atlanta Ballet or cheer the Braves. d.There are about 250 miles between Atlanta and Savannah. Georgia is a great state for tourists. History buffs can walk the 250-year-old streets of Savannah or view the civil war battlefields. Lovers of the outdoors can go swimming at the beaches or hike the trails of the Chattahoochee National Forest. Sightseers can view four states from atop Brasstown Bald or watch wildlife from a boat in the Okefenokee Swamp.
100. What is the complete subject of the sentence below? Large owls with bright eyes were hooting loudly in the forest. a.Large owls with bright eyes b.were hooting c.loudly d.in the forest
101. What word best combines the two sentence parts below? Matthew tried his best, ______ he didn't win the race. a.but b.and c.since d.or
102. In order to describe the team, which of the following could be added to the sentence below? The fans rushed onto the field to congratulate the team. a.at once b.in the rain c.with much excitement d.who had just won the game
103. What revision should be made to the sentence below? On vacation, Carla enjoys hiking in the mountains, Ricky prefers swimming at the beach a.mountains! Ricky b.mountains Ricky c.mountains- Ricky d.mountains. Ricky
104. Which choice correctly completes the sentence below? A redwood grows ____ than an oak. a.tallest b.most tallest c.taller d.more taller
105. How should the punctuation be changed in the sentence below? Joseph Cinqu was an African prince who was kidnapped and sold into slavery in Havana Cuba a.Add a semicolon after prince b.Add a dash after slavery c.Add a comma after kidnapped d.Add a comma after Havana
106. What word belongs in the sentence below? The infant was hungry, so his mother warmed the _____ bottle. a.baby b.baby’s c.babies d.babies’
107. Which word in the sentence below should be capitalized? Cumberland island parallels the Georgia coast just north of the Florida border. a.island b.coast c.north d.border
108. What change should be made to the sentence below? Oysters are becoming endangered because of spills near its breeding grounds. a.Change are to is b.Change its to it’s c.Change endangered to endanger d.Change its to their
109. How should the sentence below be punctuated? What do you want me to do a.With a colon b.With a period c.With an exclamation mark d.With a question mark
110. Which words BEST fill in the blanks in the sentence below? __________ in the group __________ impressed by the famous actor. a.Few/was or Many/was b.Few/were or Many/were c.Few/were or Many/was d.Few/was or Many/were
111. Computer lab
112. The boy _______ sits next to me in class is my best friend. Which word completes the sentence correctly? a.who b.whom c.whose d.which
113. Aaron wants to find out how far Augusta is from Savannah. Where should he look? a.an encyclopedia b.an atlas c.a thesaurus d.an almanac
114. Which of the following sources contains synonyms for the word revenue? a.an encyclopedia b.an atlas c.a thesaurus d.an almanac
115. Where would you look in a science textbook to find out who the publisher is? a.the table of contents b.the title page c.the index d.the glossary
116. Where would you look in a literature textbook to find out whether it contains any articles about Flannary O’Connor? a.the bibliography b.the title page c.the index d.the glossary
117. Herbie is looking for facts about writer Ernest Hemingway’s time in Paris, France. Which words should he use as key words to find this information? a.Hemingway writer b.Hemingway Paris c.Ernest Hemingway d.Ernest France
118. Which of the following websites would most likely contain reliable information about the Old West? a.an online bookstore that sells novels about the Old West b.the official website of the upcoming western film Saddle Shores c.a university website with links to the history’s department’s research on the Old West d.a personal website that traces the owner’s family tree back to the Old West outlaw Jesse James.
119. Ralph wants to find a word that means the same as the word sphere. Where should he look? a.an encyclopedia b.a dictionary c.a thesaurus d.an almanac
120. Which of the following sources contains a list of the ten most successful stocks of last year? a.an almanac b.an encyclopedia c.a telephone directory d.a thesaurus
121. Faith goes to the library to begin a report on the author Louisa May Alcott. The librarian leads her to a shelf where she sees the following book titles. Which book should Faith choose to learn about the childhood hobbies of Louisa May Alcott. a.Louisa May Alcott’s novel Little Women b.The Comprehensive Works of Louisa May Alcott c.Louisa May Alcott: A Biography d.Essays on the Novels of Louisa May Alcott
122. What step on the research process comes after deciding on a topic? a.read and take notes b.gather resources c.brainstorm for ideas d.write a rough draft
123. Use the table below to answer this question. Table of contents Chapter 1: The Discovery of Saturn ………… 4 Chapter 2: Saturn Statistics ………………….. 12 Chapter 3: Saturn’s Many Moons …………… 18 Chapter 4: Satellite Images of Saturn ………. 30 Brittany is writing a report on the planet Saturn. Which chapter should she read to find out the average temperature on Saturn? a.Chapter 1c. Chapter 3 b.Chapter 2d. Chapter 4
124. Kenneth has decided to write a research paper on the Cherokee Indians’ removal from Georgia along the Trail of Tears. Which one of the four questions below should he probably address in organizing his paper? a.Why was the train taken by the Cherokee called the “Trail of Tears”? b.What are some other Native American historical sites? c.What does the word Cherokee mean? d.Why did the Cherokee originally choose to live in Georgia?
125. Which word marks a transition in the paragraph below? In Gary Paulsen’s novel Dogsong, an Eskimo boy names Russell discovers his ancestors’ ways on a trip by dogsled to the Arctic north. Eventually, his journey leads him to a young woman who needs help. a.Paulsen’s b.named c.ancestors’ d.Eventually
126. Where does the phrase “decorated with flowers” belong in the sentence below? In the kitchen we ate yogurt and fruit decorated with flowers. a.before In b.between the and kitchen c.between kitchen and we d.between yogurt and and
127. Which sentence below is a run-on sentence? A.I solved the riddle; you’ll kick yourself when you realize how obvious it is. B.Our piano instructor loves peanuts he’d eat them everyday if his doctor would approve. C.Scott and Theresa kept sending emails to each other. D.Regardless of the situation, he is always polite and respectful.
128. What is the function of the underlined words in the sentence below? Have you ever walked by the river at night? a.a prepositional phrase b.a coordinating conjunction c.a verbal phrase d.an interjection
129. Which of the following is a sentence fragment? a.Are you hoping for a miracle? b.Oh my! c.Even after the rain had stopped and a rainbow stretched across the sky. d.Get out of there, Buckles!
130. Which word is the predicate adjective of the sentence below? The pictures from Zoo Atlanta were blurry. a.pictures b.Zoo Atlanta c.all d.blurry
131. In the sentence below, what part of speech is the underlined word? Having filled their bicycle tires with air, strapped on their helmets and put on their pads, Jessie, Dexter, and Riley were ready to hit the bike trail. a.linking verb b.indirect object c.subject d.predicate nominative
132. Choose the sentence that best supports the following topic sentence. Shania Twain has the “girl-next-door” appeal. a.Her parents died when she was twenty-one. b.She is moving to Switzerland to get some privacy. c.She has always stayed away from drugs, even coffee. d.Her success came after she married a well- known record producer.
133. Use the following paragraph to answer the question. (1) Nashville has found a lot of fault with Shania Twain. (2)She grew up in Canada, not the States. (3)She listened to the music of many country stars as she was growing up. (4)She doesn’t wear cowboy boots (though she can operate a chain saw). (5)Her lyrics are a little too proud. (6)She spends too much money making her albums. Which sentence does not belong in the paragraph? sentence 2 sentence 3 sentence 4 sentence 5
134. Use the following paragraph to answer the question. Choose the sentence that best completes the paragraph about Shania Twain. A.She likes to ride horses in her spare time. B.Her adoptive father was a full-blooded Ojibwa Indian. C.she is planning, however, to record another album early next spring. D.What bothers the Nashville critics the most, however, is that her albums are hugely popular despite their criticism. (1) Nashville has found a lot of fault with Shania Twain. (2)She grew up in Canada, not the States. (3)She listened to the music of many country stars as she was growing up. (4)She doesn’t wear cowboy boots (though she can operate a chain saw). (5)Her lyrics are a little too proud. (6)She spends too much money making her albums.
135. Which word is the simple subject in the sentence below? His first grade teacher, Mrs. Applebottom, who also taught him how to swim, will now be his tennis instructor. a.his b.teacher c.Applebottom d.instructor
136. Which word is the direct object of the sentence below? Clay outlined his views in a clear, thorough essay. a.his b.views c.clear d.essay
137. Which word is the direct object of the sentence below? Damian marinated the steaks in a lemon pepper glaze. a.Damian b.steaks c.lemon d.glaze
138. In which of the following sentences is telephone used as a verb? a.The telephone company is offering a discount to long-term customers. b.Please answer the telephone before the answering machine does. c.Telephone your cousin Bill and ask him when he is arriving. d.Have you seen the telephone book anywhere?
139. In which of the following sentences is romance used as a verb? a.Cindi’s mother reads romance novels all the time. b.Bob is going to romance Claire with flowers and chocolates. c.The new movie at the cinema is filled with love and romance. d.Brock’s sister studies Romance languages at the University of Georgia.
140. In the sentence below, the underlined phrase is misplaced. Where should it be put when revising the sentence? Cheerleaders were selling boxes of doughnuts to students with prizes in them. A.after the word cheerleaders B.after the word doughnuts C.before the word boxes D.before the word cheerleaders
141. Which sentence below is a compound sentence? A.When driving, be sure to not go over the speed limit. B.Whenever you eat at a restaurant, remember to tip. C.Motorcycles are very dangerous and scary vehicles. D.Jake and Julia went to Wisconsin for the summer, and then they decided to stay there permanently.
142. What kind of sentence is this? If you are coming to the party, please bring a healthy snack. A. compound-complex B. compound C. complex D. simple
143. Which change should be made in the sentence? Lakisha gave their speech before it was due. A. change gave to give B. change their to her C. change speech to speeches D. change due to do
144. Which organizational method is used in the paragraph? In early colonial days, women made quilts to keep their families warm. These quilts were hand-sewn and usually made from scraps of old clothing or bedding. Though some quilts today are made by hand, most are mass-produced and are sewn with machines. Homemade quilts may contain old pieces of fabric, but most modern quilts are made from new fabric. A. cause and effect B. chronological order C. question and answer D. compare and contrast
145. Which is the BEST supporting detail for the topic sentence? Good, well-prepared soil is one of the most important ingredients for a healthy garden. A. Before planting any seeds, the soil needs to be warm and all rocks need to be removed. B. If your clothes get dirty while working in the soil, be sure to wash them right away. C. Some plants are more popular in southern regions than in northern regions. D. Planting a garden can be a fun way for families to spend time together.
146. Which topic would be the MOST appropriate for a short report? A. The History of the Olympics B. Judging the Olympic Sports C. My Favorite Olympic Athlete D. Olympic Athletes Through the Ages
147. Which idea is repeated in the paragraph? For many years, Switzerland has been known all over the world for its cuckoo clocks, which are made out of wood. These timepieces are hand- carved from aged linden wood. Today these Swiss clocks come in all shapes and sizes. A. The Swiss people make clocks out of wood. B. The Swiss people carve their clocks by hand. C. The Swiss people are famous for their clocks. D. The Swiss people produce a variety of clocks.
148. Which sentence is written correctly? A. Hosea told me the score of the game. B. Hosea he told me the score of the game. C. Hosea himself told me the score of the game. D. Hosea he himself told me the score of the game.