Presentation on theme: "Being the Change you want to see in Maternity Care Gillian Duffey Head of Midwifery Associate Director of Nursing."— Presentation transcript:
Being the Change you want to see in Maternity Care Gillian Duffey Head of Midwifery Associate Director of Nursing
Is change a friend? In the 1500s, childbirth was viewed as one of the “diseases of women”. During the 18th century midwifery became respectable as a profession for men, due to William Hunter ( ).
Is change a friend ? 1830: Augustus Granville - founder of the Obstetrical Society of London said that women were “unsuited by nature for all scientific mechanical employment”. 1840: Several medical schools and colleges added midwifery to the curriculum. 1850: Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons award diplomas in midwifery for the first time. Many obstetricians believed they would never receive rightful status and many were still untrained.
Change can be a friend!- Need and Value I don’t need to change I am dissatisfied My dissatisfaction is increasing I need to do something about it Development of need
Awareness of value I ought to do something I can see the value if I do The value outweighs the cost I will do something The development of awareness of value
Five key principles to consider: 1.Different people react differently to change 2. Everyone has fundamental needs that have to be met 3. Change often involves a loss 4. Expectations need to be managed realistically 5. Fears have to be dealt with
1. Different people react differently Spectrum of change Stability Change
2. Fundamental needs Need for control Need for inclusion Need for openness
3. Change often involves a loss S- Shock A- Anger R- Rejection A- Acceptance H- Healing
4. Expectations need to be managed realistically Don’t make promises you can’t keep Be honest
5. Fears have to be dealt with What does change mean for individuals What impact will it have on their personal lives Understanding the reason for change
Set yourself values and beliefs Listen and hear Be honest Be consistent in how you apply your values
Is change a friend ? “We must learn to look on change as a friend – one who presents us with an opportunity for growth and development”