Presentation on theme: "County Farm North. Site History 1917 The county farm site, located on North Liberty Street, included a poorhouse where needy people could live and work."— Presentation transcript:
Site History 1917 The county farm site, located on North Liberty Street, included a poorhouse where needy people could live and work if they were physically able. The first county-operated tuberculosis hospital ($10,000) in North Carolina at the county farm. Reports from 1919 stated that the tuberculosis hospital was full at all times.
Site History 1927 September County Commissioners purchased approximately 700 acres of land from over twenty private property holders for County Home purposes. The site was located off Rural Hall Road/Highway No. 66. 1927 December The County Commissioners selected the site for the New (second) Tuberculosis Hospital/Sanitarium.
Site History 1928 The County commissioned the architecture firm of Northup and O’ Brien to draw plans for the second tuberculosis hospital ($250,000) to be built on Shattalon Drive’s north Side near Rural Hall Road. 1930 The Tuberculosis Hospital began serving white patients and accommodating 148 adults and 24 children. The children were housed in a separate building and attended school on site. 1931 African American patients remained at the North Liberty Street location until October 1931, when the Shattalon Drive children’s ward was repurposed for their care. 1939 A bequest from the Bowman Gray Jr. Family provided for the construction of a larger building for African American patients’ treatment at the new hospital campus.
Historic uses of the County Home/Farm Site Known existing structures on site at the time of purchase: Plunket Home used for the care of dependent and neglected children – Child Relief Home (June 4, 1928) Will Moore Home (December 5, 1932) Various sheds, barns, and other unidentified buildings County Farm Tuberculosis Hospital Institutional Cemetery Reformatory (December 3, 1928) Prison (Convict) Camp for Whites (December 7, 1931) Prison Barracks designed by local architect Hall Crews (September 19, 1929) Crib and Granary (January 5, 1931) Asphalt Tank (September 6, 1932) County Home for the Indigent and Infirm (January 15, 1936) Six Car Garage and Storage Building (January 21, 1937) County Laundry (1937) Dairy Farm. (January 17, 1935) Farm Demonstrations on 40 acres of land west of TB Hospital - including: truck farming; fruit trees, grasses etc. planting that can be adapted to the County, animal and machine sales; and more. (February 11, 1933)
Forsyth County Home for the Indigent and Infirm was opened in 1937.
County Home for the Indigent and Infirm, 1942. This facility was later used for the Nature Science Center.
Site History 1955 State hospitals assumed the care of tuberculosis patients. 1955-1959 the Shattalon Drive complex was vacant. 1959 The complex was opened as a county-managed nursing home named after Dr. Paul Yoder, the Tuberculosis hospital’s former director. 1961 The County leased the operation to Forsyth Home, Inc. and the facility became known as Knollwood Hall. 1970s Forsyth Home, Inc. removed the original tuberculosis hospital buildings. 1975 New complex constructed.