211. Strontium's highest occupied energy level is 5s2. To what group does strontium belong? a. Group 2 b. Group 5 c. Group 6 d. Group 8
32. In nature, the alkali metals occur as a.elements.b.compounds.c.complex ions.d.gases.
42 1. The most reactive group of the nonmetals is the a. lanthanides. b. transition elements.c. halogens.d. noble gases.
52. Compared to the alkali metals, the alkaline-earth metals a. are less reactive.b. have lower melting points.c. are less dense.d. combine more readily with nonmetals.
631. A measure of the ability of an atom in a chemical compound to attract electrons from another atom in the compound is calleda. electron affinity.b. electron configuration.c. electronegativity.d. ionization potential.
72. A negative ion is known as a(n) a. ionic radius.b. valence electron.c. cation.d. anion.
841. For each successive electron removed from an atom, the ionization energya. increases.b. decreases.c. remains the same.d. shows no pattern.
92. In Group 2 elements, the valence electrons are in sublevel a. d.b. p.c. s.d. f.
105 1. The number of valence electrons in Group 17 elements is a. 7. d. equal to the period number.
112. Among the d-block elements, as atomic radii decrease, electronegativity values a. remain constant.b. increase.c. decrease.d. drop to zero.
12Answers & Standards 1.1 – a sc4 1.2 –b sc4b 2.1 –c sc4b 2.2 –a sc4b 3.1 – c sc4a3.2 – d sc4a4.1 – a sc4a4.2 – c sc3b5.1 – a sc3b5.2 – b sc4a