Presentation on theme: "ESS Architecture TF 30 January 2013 ITEM 1 - Context."— Presentation transcript:
1ESS Architecture TF30 January 2013ITEM 1 - Context
2ObjectivesUpdate on the context related to ESS EAOpen discussion and exchange of views
3Outline:DIME/ITDG discussion on ESS EA and AS IS reviewSponsorship and ESSnet on StandardisationESS.VIP programmeSchenvening discussions and Vision 2.0 TFCSPAITDG IT principles…
41) DIME/ITDG discussion on ESS EA Presentation and discussion in DIME plenary Feb 2013Vision principles and strategic direction for implementationNeed of business architecture as a reference modelTo be state conceptual modelFederated approach of architectureLevel of integration (autonomous, standardisation, sharing tools, sharing process )TF on ESS EACountry visitsRecommendationsThe level of abstraction remains too high; it requires an articulation between National and European business architectures to deal with diversity among MS;The level of integration has to be elaborated. The current “to be state” gives the impression of a fully federated system. The desired level of integration should depend on the process step and take subsidiarity into account (might need political blessing).
51) DIME/ITDG SG discussion on ESS EA and ESS.VIP in Dec 2013 Presentation and discussions onVision 2.0 processESS.VIP statusNeed for "as is review "and questionnaireProposal to set up a TF with focused mandate"As is" analysisIdentification of architecture building block in NSIsRecommendationsIn the short term, need of description of landscape of international and European modernisation initiatives, check consistency and rationaleReview what happens in the countries (as-is situation and on-going modernisation initiatives)After May ESSC meeting, DIME/ITDG should be involved in study of feasibility of implementation of Vision 2.0 and roadmap to the "to-be state"Creation of TF to prepare the as-is studies using as a framework EA and start networking.
61) Discussion DIME/ITDG SG Dec 2013 – PROS and CONS of ESS EA 1. Detect modernisation projects at national level – Eurostat to visit NSIs to identify needs for formulating objectives relevant at national and European level2. Assessing what is the situation in the countries (implementation of standards in countries and Eurostat)3. Exchange methods and tools (focus on our competences) – Vision 1.0 principles – inventory of methods and tools (e.g. role of SERV – do not postpone key relevant projects serving the original objectives of the Vision 1.0)4. Use results of the sponsorship on standardisation5. Re-use available "things"6. Be pragmatic – start already now the work in selected domains (e.g. exchange microdata in tourism, migration – but consider legal/privacy national frameworks)7. Inventory of what has been done and what has to be finalised – to answer how and what we need to move towards the targets – capitalise on work done in the last years (e.g. harmonisation, streamlining actions, integration, standards, metadata)8. Differentiate the strategy (on the basis of informed decisions)9. DIME/ITDG could facilitate by drawing the whole picture – organise information, initiatives, explain rationale10. Continue to develop tools and standards and do not wait for the Vision 2.0 "to be state"11. DIME/ITDG could help validate the roadmap from "as is" towards "to be" state – but it is paramount to understand quickly where we are today12. What is necessary to be ready for a modular organisation of production processes – work at global level – help to facilitate the global process13. Share information on on-going initiatives – focused collection of information inside and outside ESS (links) – global viewCons1. Wait for the outcome of the TF Vision 2.0 (get clear notion on what the Vision will be)2. Legacy, domain oriented experts, difficulties to integrate the output of3. Decisions are required at high level (directors general, politicians) before starting4. Complexity: how to combine all elements (constraints, international initiatives, needs, …)5. Lack of a clear "to be state" from Vision 1.06. Unknowns – "to be state" Vision 2.0; "as is"7. Vision 1.0 "to be state" too integrated/centralisedIssues1. Vision 2.0 horizon 2020 / 5 year statistical programme / long term objectives2. Scope: integrate dissemination, quality assurance and competitiveness ESS3. Collaboration: domain dependent, different stages of production (GSBPM), sharing (tools, methods but in a more systematic way, people, financial resources - or human expertise, activities/tasks – centres of competence) – already advanced in some areas, less in others – collect info to populate a matrix on potential collaboration/exchange4. Cooperation with other statistical actors (private, …)5. Level of collaboration: output / processes / exchange data and tasks / responsibility for statistics in Europe6. Emphasis on users' needs7. Requirements: flexibility, timeliness, rapid answer, global aspects
72) Sponsorship and ESSnet on Standardisation Sponsorship on Standardisation pillar II : frameworksDefinition of a standardStandardisation process and RASCI analysisReference Business architecture and integration levelsSWOT framework to measure impact of standardsSponsorship on Standardisation recommendations and follow upArchitectural frameworkAdopt an architectural framework for standardisationFurther work done by the ESSnet on Standardisation I.DIME1 has decided to establish a Taskforce on architecture and in the ESS.VIP program several architecture-related activities are defined, especially in the cross-cutting projects.All of these initiatives will need to be coordinated at ESS level and, to be most effective, coordination at global level should also be pursued. A special effort should be made to explain architectural concepts to a wide audience to avoid that it remains a toy for specialists onlyOrganise who is responsible for what on architectural framework (the ESSnet will not have a leading role)
82) Sponsorship and ESSnet on Standardisation Sponsorship on Standardisation recommendations and follow upInteroperability and applicabilityEmphasise interoperability aspects of standards and other normative documents and assure their applicability through clear interfaces and harmonised metadata.The necessary interfaces and harmonised metadata should be developed. Preferably, a general approach for interface description is developed and a corresponding metadata language is put in place.Priority is for standard setting (no further specific action needed)ESSnet on Standardisation I et IIESSnet I : WP2 Del 3 : Proposal for a business architecture (draft)ESSnet II : promotion and communication on architecture
93) ESS.VIP programme Nov 2012 – May 2013 ESS.VIP.BUS ESSC endorsed the ESS.VIP programme4 business projects launchedSIMSTATESBRsValidationICT3 business projects under preparationPRIXADMINNAPSESS.VIP IT TF dealing with IT issues related to ESS.VIP2 meetings dedicated to SIMSTATJun 2013 – Sept 2013ESS.CRCDIME ITDG SG discussion on CRC issuesIMSESDENSERVDWTwo phase approach discussed with PGPoC , studiesPlanning and ExecutionSept 2013DGINS retreat in ScheveningenESSC decisionTask Force on Vision 2.0Need for Infrastructure limited to 4 BUS requirementsAlignment of the ESS.VIP with the visionCoordination with the on-going international initiativesAs of todayESS.VIP.BUSTF on ESS validation endorsed by ESSC Nov 133 remaining projects frozen (PRIX, NAPS-S, ADMIN)ESS.VIP.CRCESDENNetwork for SIMSTATFS for other networksSERVPoC of CSPAGuidelines for service (CSPA)FS platformsIMSstudies on best use of existing data and metadata standards
104) Vision 2.0 TF process Step 1 Nov 13 Inception Work programme 4 groups/tracks for reflectionStep 2Nov – Dec 13DiagnosisSWOT analysisVision 1.0TrustGovernanceScenariosDGINS retreat (Prague)ScopeIssuesTest casesLevel of ambitionsStep 3Jan - Apr 14ElaborationNew topicsNeeds and driversQuality assuranceNew data source (BD)Dissemination and commFramework for identifying opportunity and prioritiesDGINS retreat (Rome)Step 4 : ESSC MayReport TF Vision 2.0Next steps ?Detailed "to be state"ESS.VIP roadmap revisitedNew business cases formation and project prioritisation
115) CSPA : Common Statistical Production Architecture UNECE HLG Project in 2013CSPA V1.0 released end December 2013To serve as an industry standard architecture for statistical organizations.Provides principles and guidance to standardize and combine the components of statistical production, regardless of where the statistical services are builtProof of Concept: "wrapping" existing solutionsUNECE HLG Project in 2014Development of CSPA ServicesRegistry of serviceTraining and documentation (guidelines and hands-on)
126) ITDG : ESS IT principles Discussion in SISAI 2013 on IT principlesReview of 3 type of principles (governance, business, IT)The targeted ESS IT principles are only a part of an ESS EA and it would beneficial to develop them in synergy with a ESS business architectureThe ESS IT principles should focus on principles that can impact IT solution design at ESS level and not focus on "nice to have" principlesThe level of granularity of the principles should be adapted to the scopeNo further work since then