Presentation on theme: "O REGON S PATIAL D ATA L IBRARY M ETADATA U PLOAD T RAINING Marc Rempel."— Presentation transcript:
O REGON S PATIAL D ATA L IBRARY M ETADATA U PLOAD T RAINING Marc Rempel
O VERVIEW OF OSDL
B ACKGROUND Partnership/funding with State of Oregon Department of Administrative Services Geospatial Enterprise Office Purpose: to provide a front-end to the GEO A-Z list that enables searchable results, user defined downloads, distributed data extraction. scalable to add other repositories. Built on the ESRI GeoPortal Toolkit 9.3
A DVANCED S EARCHING Filter by: Content type Data category Modified Date
S EARCH R ESULTS Dynamic footprint highlighting. Icon based identification Ability to download, add to map, see metadata, zoom to map to extent depending on content type. See results through REST API with various output formats.
M AP V IEWERS Three map interfaces Built on ArcGIS Server map services
D OWNLOADING - C LIP, ZIP AND SHIP
C ONTRIBUTE YOUR METADATA Register
S TEPS TO A DD M ETADATA R ECORDS TO OSDL Four ways to add metadata to the OSDL 1. Manually create through admin login on Administration tab. 2. Upload individual xml metadata files through admin login on Administration tab. 3. Setup repository through Repositories tab. 4. Through ArcCatalog Download CSW client tool and highlight desired files and run utility. or Connect to as an ArcIMS server and select the Publish_GPT_Metadata service.http://spatialdata.oregonexplorer.info:8080
1. L OADING M ETADATA : M ANUALLY Login to the OSDL (http://spatialdata.oregonexplorer.info/GPT9/catalog/identity/login.page )http://spatialdata.oregonexplorer.info/GPT9/catalog/identity/login.page Username: geo_user Password:
1 A. L OADING M ETADATA : M ANUALLY Select ADMINISTRATION tab -> Create link Choose metadata standard (FGCD Best Practice or ESRI ISO) most likely.
1 B. L OADING M ETADATA : M ANUALLY Fill out as many of the fields as possible. Then press submit metadata registration button at the bottom of page.
2. L OADING M ETADATA : U PLOAD XML Login to OSDL (see 1. Loading Metadata). Select ADMINISTRATION tab-> Upload link Browse to xml (FGDC xml) file to upload. See Preparing Metadata steps below for using ArcCatalog to prepare the xml file for upload. Press Upload button.
3. L OADING M ETADATA : R EPOSITORY H ARVESTING Login to OSDL (see 1. Loading Metadata). Select REPOSITORIES tab-> Create link Select type of repository. Fill out the required fields to connect to repository. Press Submit button. Requires a working repository service setup on publisher’s end.
4. L OADING M ETADATA : A RC C ATALOG Two options: 1. Install the GPT Publish Client tool for ArcCatalog. 2. Connect to the OSDL MetadataServer as an ArcIMS service and drag metadata into service.
4. L OADING M ETADATA : A RC C ATALOG V IA T OOLBAR Download Run the installation wizard on machine with ArcCatalog (9x). Open ArcCatalog. Choose Tools->Customize In the Customize dialog, select “Commands” tab. From Categories list, select “GPT Publish Metadata Tool”. Drag the “Publish Metadata” icon to a toolbar on ArcCatalog.
4. L OADING M ETADATA : A RC C ATALOG V IA T OOLBAR Navigate in ArcCatalog to a folder with xml metadata to publish. Select the folder then press the Publish Metadata icon Metadata Server: Metadata Service: GPT_Publish_Metadata UserName: geo_user Password: Press Publish button.
4. L OADING M ETADATA : A RC C ATALOG V IA A RC IMS C ONNECTION D RAG & D ROP
Drag an xml record to UO_Publisher folder. It will appear similar to the AdminBoundaries folder when successfully imported. Xml metadata
E DITING METADATA IN A RC C ATALOG In ArcCatalog, verify that FGDC Editor is selected Tools > Options > Metadata tab > Editing metadata > Metadata Editor
P REPARING M ETADATA In ArcCatalog locate your desired spatial dataset
A RC C ATALOG FGDC M ETADATA E DITOR
P REPARING METADATA TO BE PUBLISHED Minimum required fields for FGDC metadata publishing. 1. Title 2. Abstract 3. Content type 4. Publisher 5. Keyword 6. Bounding coordinates Desired additional field but not required for application to accept publication. 1. Browse Graphic (thumbnail).
P REPARING M ETADATA - T ITLE Identification > Citation> Citation Title entry box REQUIRED TIP: Value corresponds to search result heading.
P REPARING M ETADATA - A BSTRACT Identification> General> Abstract REQUIRED TIP: Value corresponds to search result description text.
P REPARING M ETADATA - C ONTENT T YPE Distribution tab > General > Resource Description REQUIRED TIP: Values must match valid options below for result icons to display. Live Data and Maps Downloadable Data Offline Data Static Map Images Other Documents Applications Geographic Services Clearing House Map Files Geographic Activities Icons
P REPARING M ETADATA - C ONTENT T YPE For Downloadable Data, Live Data and Maps content types to have active links in search results: Identification > Citation> Details> Online Linkage The first online linkage entry (1 of x) will point to the website for more information. The second entry (you may need to hit the + sign to add another entry) will be the link for data download ideally a link to an FTP download or HTTP download resource or to the web map service (ie. vices/HydroServiceP/MapServer/WM SServer). vices/HydroServiceP/MapServer/WM SServer
P REPARING M ETADATA - P UBLISHER Identification tab > Citation tab > Details > Series/Publication Info/ Publisher entry field. REQUIRED Tip: Put who made the data as the publisher. If unknown, then put U of O.
P REPARING M ETADATA - K EYWORDS Identification> Keywords> Theme> Keyword Thesaurus value should be: ISO TIP: At least one keyword must match an ISO theme category : boundaries farming climatologyMeteorologyAtmosphere biota economy planningCadastre society elevation environment structure geoscientificInformation health imageryBaseMapsEarthCover inlandWaters location intelligenceMilitary oceans transportation utilitiesCommunication REQUIRED
P REPARING M ETADATA - B OUNDING C OORDINATES Identification> Spatial Domain> Bounding Coordinates and G- Polygon> Bounding Coordinates in Lat/Long (WGS84) REQUIRED Tip: For the search results footprint to be highlighted on search maps, values must be valid Lat/Long decimal degrees. ArcCatalog will automatically generate the bounding coordinates based on the dataset extent. If you need to modify or change, you can use the create metadata link in the Administration tab to draw your area of interest and copy the values.
P REPARING M ETADATA - B ROWSE G RAPHIC (N OT REQUIRED FOR PUBLISHING, BUT DESIRED ) Identification > Browse Graphic> Filename: Tip: Thumbnail must be a web accessible graphic to display in search result.
B ROWSE G RAPHIC : H OW TO CREATE THUMBNAIL Preview layer in ArcCatalog and hit the create thumbnail button In the description metadata view, you should see the new thumbnail. Right click and copy image.
B ROWSE G RAPHIC : H OW TO CREATE THUMBNAIL In Adobe Photoshop or similar photo processing software: File>New Accept the preset clipboard width and height (200 x 133) Press OK Control V to paste the image into new Photoshop image. File>Save For Web…> Give it a meaningful name and save it to a web accessible location. Other thumbnails in OSDL are in.GIF format.
E XPORT METADATA Once all required and desired fields have been populated select the Metadata view of the layer in ArcCatalog and select the export metadata button. Save metadata as FGDC CSDGM (XML) format to a logical location on your computer/network.
P UBLISH M ETADATA Drag an xml record to UO_Publisher folder in the ArcIMS metadata server connection. It will appear similar to the AdminBoundaries folder when successfully imported. If you have missed a required field, you will receive an error message stating what is missing. Xml metadata
F INAL S TEP Once a document has been published to the metadata service, its status will be set as “Posted”. For a document to be available for searching, the status has to be “Approved” which can only be done via an Administrator account. After completion of publishing records, notify us and we can set the status to approved.
A DDITIONAL R ESOURCES Publishing metadata in ArcCatalog metadata.pdf GPT Publish Client tool for ArcCatalog PublishClient.zip This powerpoint L_MetadataLoading_training_UO.ppt