4The New BirthJust as a physical birth was necessary for you to come into this world a spiritual birth is required for you to go to Heaven. To be born again means, “ to have experienced a spiritual birth, the new birth.” Being born again, or the new birth is also referred to as “ salvation” or having been “saved.” HE IS NO FOOL who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot loose Jim Elliot
5How To Have Eternal Life “These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life.” I John 5:13
6How To Have Eternal Life 1. The need for salvation. “Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned.” Romans 5:12 “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” Romans 3:23
7How To Have Eternal Life People who basically run their own lives, doing things their own way rather than God’s way are called _____ .Therefore they fall short of _______standard and ____________ themselves from ___________________.Who have sinned? _________________________sinners_God’sseparateHIMMan
8How To Have Eternal Life “For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Romans 6:23What are the consequences of sin? ______________What type of death is this verse referring to? ___________________________________DeathSpiritual
9How To Have Eternal Life Man is dependant on God for salvation. “No one can come to Me, unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day.” John 6:44
10How To Have Eternal Life Many are deceived into believing that they can work their way into heaven. Being a good person will not get you into heaven nor will church activities or church attendance. Salvation is a gift from God. “For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, that no one should boast.” Ephesians 2:8-9
11How To Have Eternal Life God has provided the Way to have an Eternal Relationship with Him. “For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will hardly die for a righteous man; though perhaps for the good man someone would dare even to die. But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
12How To Have Eternal Life continued. Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him. For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life. And not only this, but we also exult in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received the reconciliation.” Romans 5:6-11
13How To Have Eternal Life What was our status when God demonstrated His love to us? ________________________________Why do we need to be justified? __________________________________________How are we justified? __________________________________________HelplessTo be saved from the wrath of God for our sinsThrough the death/blood of Jesus
14How To Have Eternal Life “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.” John 3:16“Jesus said to him, “I am the way the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father, but through Me.” John 14:6
15How To Have Eternal Life God Himself came to earth as a human being to bring us back to Himself. If any other way would have worked, Jesus Christ would not have had to come. THE WAY is a Person!To become a Christian a person must make a willful decision to put his trust in Jesus as the only one that can save him from his sin. Our relationship to God is not restored by anything we do, but on the basis of what Jesus already did for us!
16How To Have Eternal Life Read Romans 10: What do these verses say you must do to be saved?“that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved; for with the heart man believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.” Romans 10:9-10_________________________BelieveConfess Jesus as Lord
17The Bridge Illustration: helps us understand the problem of sin and God’s plan for redemption. #1 Romans 3:2323 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,#2 Romans 6:2323 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.#3 Hebrews 9:2727 And inasmuch as it is appointed for men to die once and after this comes judgment,#4 Ephesians 2:8-98 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.#5 John 3:1616 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.#6 John 10:1010 "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.#7 1 Timothy 23 This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior,4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.#8 1 Peter 3:1818 For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit;#9 John 1:1212 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name,#10 Romans 10:9-109 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.#11 John 5:2424 "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and (1) believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and (2) does not come into judgment, but has (3) passed out of death into life.John 3:3
18QuestionsDo you know for certain that you will go to heaven? □ Yes □ No □ UnsureWhat would you say if God asked, “Why should I let you into heaven?” Answer__________________________________
19How To Receive ChristAdmit your need (“I am a _______ ”), and turn from your sin (_______). Acts 3:19Believe that Jesus Christ died on the _______ for you and rose from the ______. John 3:36Confess your _______ . 1 John 1:9Through prayer, invite Jesus Christ to come in and control your life through the Holy Spirit. (Receive Him as _______ and _______.) John 1:12sinnerrepentcrossgravesinsLordSavior
20How to Pray: Dear Lord Jesus, I know that I am a sinner and need Your forgiveness. I believe that You died for my sins. I want to turn from my sins. I now invite You to come into my heart and life. I want to trust and follow You as Lord and Savior. In Jesus’ name. Amen. “For whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved.” Romans 10:13
21NotesMemory Verse: “Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.” John 9:23
23Taking the Next StepBecoming a Christian is the beginning of a lifelong journey of obedience to Christ which transforms a person’s values and behavior. No one accepts Christ and is suddenly spiritually mature. Everyone begins the journey of spiritual growth at the same place—asking, what does it mean to follow Jesus? Discipleship is learning to be like Christ (Ephesians 4:20). Knowing Christ, instead of just knowing about Him, results in a spiritual transformation in life and heart, which reflects Christ to all we encounter. The call to discipleship is a call to transformation.
241. What is Christian Discipleship? Discipleship is a process that begins after conversion and continues throughout a believer’s life. Discipleship is not an option for a church or believer. Believers are to disciple each other as mandated in the Great Commission; this involves taking up one’s cross daily to follow Christ. Mature discipleship means that you are living for the Lord in all areas of your life and Christ is the center of your life.
251. continuedChristian discipleship is developing a personal, lifelong, obedient relationship with Jesus Christ in which He transforms your character into Christlikeness; changes your values into Kingdom values; and involves you in His mission in the home, the church, and the world.A disciple of Christ is someone who responds in faith and obedience to the gracious call of Jesus Christ. Being a disciple is a lifelong process of dying to self while allowing Jesus Christ to come alive in us.
262. What is required of a Disciple of Christ? “Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it. What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self? If anyone is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels.”Luke 9:23-26 (NIV)
272. continuedWhat are the three commitments given for every disciple of Christ?__________________What does Jesus mean when He says deny yourself and take up your cross?_____________________________________________ _____________________________________________DenyCrossFollowIt means to love the Lord more than any material possession and to have adesire to live a life pleasing to Him. It is to put His will over and above your own will.
282. continued“Large crowds were traveling with Jesus, and turning to them he said: If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be my disciple. And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.”Luke 14:25-27 (NIV)
292. continuedWhat are the conditions that Jesus lays down for being a disciple?________________________________________What does it mean to hate your own life?________________________________________ ________________________________________What does it mean when He says to follow Him?He must be first in our lives above anyone and anything else.It means that our desire is to be totally obedient to Him at the cost ofeven our own lives. Following Him with complete obedience is to be ournumber one priority.To follow Christ is to learn all that we can about Him and then endeavor to live as He lived.
30A disciple of Christ must have total loyalty to Christ. 2. continuedWhat does this show you about a disciple’s allegiance to Jesus Christ?_________________________________A disciple of Christ must have total loyalty to Christ.
312. continuedDiscipleship involves renunciation of yourself, it involves setting aside your own aims, goals, ambitions, and desires in life. It involves sacrifice for the sake of the Lord Jesus Christ. It involves setting aside your will and your rights and acknowledging that Christ has the right to be obeyed and the right to rule.
322. continued”Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Will he not first sit down and estimate the cost to see if he has enough money to complete it? For if he lays the foundation and is not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule him, saying, 'This fellow began to build and was not able to finish. Or suppose a king is about to go to war against another king. Will he not first sit down and consider whether he is able with ten thousand men to oppose the one coming against him with twenty thousand? If he is not able, he will send a delegation while the other is still a long way off and will ask for terms of peace. In the same way, any of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be my disciple.” Luke 14:28-33 (NIV)
332. continued Should following Jesus be taken lightly? ___ According to this passage, what must anyone do who wants to follow Jesus? __________What does this tell you about the place Jesus is to have in a disciple’s life? ___________NoCount the costHe is to be first
343. The Great Commission"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."Matthew 28:19-20
353. continued What does it mean to make disciples? ________________________________________Who is responsible for carrying out the task of making disciples?Who’s method should we use when discipling others?It means to go out and make imitators of Christ. Jesus expectsdisciples to reproduce themselves.All disciples, Christians, Children of GodJesus’
363. continuedThe Great Commission is not a special calling or a gift of the Spirit; it is a command – an obligation incumbent upon the whole community of faith. The Great Commission is a lifestyle that should encompass the life of every Christian.
373. continuedThe heart of the Great Commission focuses on the multiplication of disciples. A “disciple” who never becomes a disciplemaker is not what Jesus intended for His follower to be. To be a disciple in the sense that Jesus desires is to become a maker of disciples. We are commanded to become disciplemakers; the Christian who does not become a disciplemaker is living a life of spiritual rebellion. Disciples, like all living things, are made by God to reproduce themselves.
383. continuedMaking disciples is about the intentional training of people who voluntarily submit to the lordship of Christ and who want to become imitators of Him in every thought, word, and deed.“Be imitators of me, just as I also am of Christ.”I Corinthians 11:1
393. continuedAs Paul wrote to the church of Corinth he told them to follow him as he followed Christ. Paul lived in such a way that he was positive that if someone imitated him, he would lead them to Christ. Paul was an imitator of Christ and devoted his life to training and teaching others to become the same.Are you committed to being and reproducing committed followers of Christ?□ Yes □ No □ Unsure
40Worship/Intercession The Disciple’s CrossMinistry ofWorship/IntercessionPRAYEJohn 15:7Luke 9:23DenyCrossFollow1 Lord2 relationships3 commitments4 resources5 ministries6 disciplinesMinistryof ServiceJohn 15:13WitnessJohn 15:8FellowshipJohn 13:34:35Ministry ofEvangelismMinistry ofNurtureCHRISTJohn 15:5IJohn 8:31-32WORDA disciple of Christ is a person who makes Christ the Lord of his or her life. (Quote Luke 9;23 and write the reference and the three commitments in the upper right corner of the page; deny, cross, follow. )If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. Luke 9:23( Write John 15:5 under the word Christ in the circle and quote the verse from memory.) What can you do without abiding in Christ? Nothing!“I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. John 15:5LIVE IN THE WORDThe way to have life in Christ is to have His Word in you. (Write Word and John 8:31-32 on the lower cross-bar and quote these verses from memory.)To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” John 8: 31-32PRAY IN FAITHPart of life in Christ and of having a relationship with Him is praying in faith. (Write prayer and John 15:7 on the upper crossbar and quote the verse from memory. Point to the words Christ, Word, and prayer as you quote the corresponding parts of the verse. )If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. John 15:7FELLOWSHIP WITH BELIEVERSLife in Christ means that you live in fellowship with your brothers and sisters in Christ. (Write fellowship and John 13:34-35 on the right crossbar and quote these verses from memory.) Jesus said the way to show that you are His disciple is to love one another.A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” John 13: 34-35WITNESS TO THE WORLDLife in Christ includes witnessing to others. It involves following Him, another commitment of a disciple. Witnessing is sharing with others about Christ and your relationship with Him. (Write witness and John 15:8 on the left crossbar and quote the verse from memory.)This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples. John 15:8“This is to myFather’s glory, thatyou bear much fruit, showingYourselves to be my disciplesJohn 15:8“Greater love has no onethan this, that he lay downHis life for his friends.”John 15:13“A new command I give you:Love one another. As I have lovedyou, so you must love one another.By this all men will know that you aremy disciples, if you love one another.”John 13:35-35I am the vine; you are the branches.If a man remains in me and I in him,he will bear much fruit;apart from me you can do nothing.John 15:5If any man will come after me,let him deny himself, and take uphis cross daily, and follow me.Luke 9:23To the Jews who had believed him,Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching,you are really my disciples. Then you willknow the truth, and the truth willset you free.”John 8: 31-32If you remain in meand my wordsremain in you, askwhatever youwish, and it will be given youJohn 15:7Ministry ofTeaching/Preaching
41Summary What is the new birth? Explain in your own words. Explain why everyone needs salvation.Repentance is a very necessary part of the salvation. What does it mean to repent?Define Christian discipleship?
42SummaryIs it possible to be a Christian and not be a disciple of Christ? Why or Why not?What are the three commitments of every disciple of Christ? What does it mean to deny self? Take up your cross?7. What is the Great Commission? Are all Christians required to fulfill the Great Commission?