Values from middle class: * Independence and Self-Reliance * Introversion * Collegiality and Social Capital * Critical Thinking and Future Visioning * Strong Scheduling and Tracking Skills * Self-Motivation * High Pace of Learning Stephens et al. (2012) and Becker et al. (2009)
* Cohort Model * 2 semesters of first year * 4 courses (11.5 units) each semester * STEM Service learning project * Weekly sponsored lunches for LC faculty, staff, and leadership * Spring debriefing retreat * Summer Bridge * Family orientation * Peer leaders * Supplemental Instruction * Peer model students * Study Lounge * STEM Faculty Mentor * 2 Peer Mentor assistants * Career/Internship counselor * Parent coffees
Definitions: Culture and Intelligence CQ pillars were identified as personal development skills for cross-cultural managerial relationships (Early and Ang, 2003). This study shows their institutional application and effectiveness for supporting students’ success. CQ predicts success with cultural adaptation beyond higher education’s walls.
Four Pillars of CQ: 1. Metacognitive 2. Cognitive 3. Motivational 4. Behavioral
1. Awareness - STEM academia poses a culture and students may be new to that culture - Best practices, consultations, conferences 2. Planning - Data collection, review, and analysis 3. Checking - Focus groups, consultations - Student feedback, begin to develop outcomes data
1. General Knowledge - the nature of culture 2. Specific Knowledge - particular culture
* Learn to maintain and track enrollment records * Review class material and identify personal learning styles * Chunk manageable weekly study time/space * Develop critical thinking questions * Nurture relationships with students and faculty * Find family, faculty, staff, and student allies * Address feelings of guilt regarding less available family time * Affirm successes with rewards Valverde (2001)
1. Internal motivation - Enjoy the learning experience of culture 2. External - Active HSI STEM student recruitment - Graduation rates - Enhanced performance in coursework - Parental/community pride - Job/enhance salary expectations
Awareness and willingness to accommodate diverse behaviors - Express personal interest for students - Provide accessible/friendly study environments - Develop compromises or creative alternatives
FPU STEM-Liberal Arts Cohort increases academic success. fall semester
FPU STEM Cohort increases academic success especially for first generation Hispanic students.
1. Metacognitive - How can you enhance cultural awareness, planning, and checking? 2. Cognitive - What do you know about your culture? What is known about Minority or first generation culture? 3. Motivational - What motivates your staff? What is motivating your students? 4. Behavioral - What adjustment to verbal and nonverbal behaviors can enhance success in your domain?
Sub-Dimensions of the Four Factor Model of Cultural Intelligence: Expanding the Conceptualization and Measurement of Cultural Intelligence. Social and Personality Psychology Compass 6/4 (2012): 295–313, 10.1111/j.1751- 9004.2012.00429 Linn Van Dyne, Soon Ang, Kok Yee Ng, Thomas Rockstuh, Mei Ling Tan, and Christine Koh