Presentation on theme: "Unit XX – Latin America Independence Movements (2 – 12) Yankee Imperialism (13-16) Copyright 2006; C. Pettinato, RCS High School, All Rights Reserved."— Presentation transcript:
Unit XX – Latin America Independence Movements (2 – 12) Yankee Imperialism (13-16) Copyright 2006; C. Pettinato, RCS High School, All Rights Reserved
1. Map of The Western Hemisphere
2. The Ideas Behind the Revolutions for Independence A. The Congress of Vienna A. The Congress of Vienna B. Goals of the conservatives of Europe B. Goals of the conservatives of Europe C. Liberal Ideas: C. Liberal Ideas: 1. liberal membership 1. liberal membership 2. written constitutions 2. written constitutions 3. separation of powers 3. separation of powers 4. election of rulers 4. election of rulers 5. universal manhood suffrage 5. universal manhood suffrage 6. laissez faire economic policies 6. laissez faire economic policies 7. autonomy 7. autonomy 8. Ideas of the Enlightenment 8. Ideas of the Enlightenment
3. Haiti’s Struggle for Independence A. Slave discontent on Haiti’s plantations B. Toussaint L’Ouverture C. Independence in 1804 D. Republic in 1820
4. Location of Haiti – Toussaint L’Ouverture
5. Independence in Mexico A. who was Miguel Hidalgo? B. What was El Grito de Delores? C. Who was Jose Morelos? D. When and why did Spain grant independence?
6. Miguel Hidalago and Jose Morelos
7. The Location of Mexico
8. Simon Bolivar – “The Liberator” and San Martin A. Revolution and Simon Bolivar in Venezuela A. Revolution and Simon Bolivar in Venezuela B. The failure of Gran Colombia B. The failure of Gran Colombia C. San Martin and Argentina C. San Martin and Argentina
9. Simon Bolivar and San Martin
10. Gran Colombia
11. A Different Story in Brazil A. How was the independence movement different in Brazil than in the Spanish counties? A. How was the independence movement different in Brazil than in the Spanish counties? B. Who was the leader? B. Who was the leader? C. What Enlightenment reforms did he immediately accept? C. What Enlightenment reforms did he immediately accept?
13. Yankee Imperialism A. What was the Monroe Doctrine of 1823? B. What did The Mexican – American War of 1847 gain for The United States? C. What was Yankee Imperialism?
15. The Panama Canal and Theodore Roosevelt A. The Roosevelt Corollary to the Monroe Doctrine 1. What was it? 2. Examples – the Dominican Republic, Cuba, Haiti, Mexico, Honduras, Nicaragua, Grenada, Panama B. The Panama Canal: 1. Teddy Roosevelt 2. Movement of the Navy and easy trade 3. Panamanian Revolt against Gran Colombia 4. Panamanian Independence 5. The Panama Canal C. Resentment of the United States
16. The Panama Canal
17. United States Control Under Teddy Roosevelt
18. Important Terms and People A. The Enlightenment A. The Enlightenment B. Congress of Vienna B. Congress of Vienna C. conservative C. conservative D. liberal D. liberal E. universal manhood suffrage E. universal manhood suffrage F. laissez faire economics F. laissez faire economics G. Toussant L’Ouverture G. Toussant L’Ouverture H. Miguel Hidalgo H. Miguel Hidalgo I. Jose Morelos I. Jose Morelos J. Gran Colombia K. San Martin L. Monroe Doctrine M. Roosevelt Corollary N. Mexican-American War O. Yankee Imperialism P. The Panama Canal Q. Ferdinand de Lesseps R. isthmus S. anti-Americanism