Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Thyroid and Parathyroid Glands

Similar presentations


Presentation on theme: "Thyroid and Parathyroid Glands"— Presentation transcript:

1 Thyroid and Parathyroid Glands
Patrick Ji, Kevin Samuel, Anthony Lee Period 1 HAP

2 Function & Importance of Endocrine system
Endocrine system - a collection of glands that secrete different hormones for the various functions and chemical reactions occurring within the body Maintain a stable environment within the body (homeostasis) Function & Importance of Endocrine system

3 Thyroid and Parathyroid

4 Location Thyroid glands located in neck
Close to first part of trachea Parathyroid glands protrude from the surface of thyroid glands Location

5 Function Thyroid glands: Parathyroid glands:
Controls rate which body produces energy from nutrients Secretes hormones that regulate energy high production can causes weight loss, nervousness Low production can cause slowing of bodily function Parathyroid glands: Control the level of calcium in blood Produces hormone PTH which raises blood calcium level Animation: t/chp42/ html Function

6 Thyroxin and Triiodothyronine

7 Thyroxin is the main hormone secreted into the blood stream by the thyroid gland.
It is inactive most of the time in the body until it become its active form of Triiodothyronine.  Animation: hill.com/sites/ /student_view0 /chapter46/mechanism_of_thyroxine_acti on.html Thyroxin

8 Triiodothyronine is the active form of the thyroid hormone thyroxin.
Approximately 20% of triiodothyronine is secreted into the bloodstream directly by the thyroid gland.  The remaining 80% is produced from conversion of thyroxin by organs such as the liver and kidneys. Triiodothyronine

9 Thyroxin and Triiodothyronine
Thyroxin plays a vital role in regulating the body’s metabolic rate, heart and digestive functions, muscle control, brain development and maintenance of bones. Too much thyroxin results in a tumor and goiter in the neck. Too little thyroxin results in autoimmune diseases and a decrease in metabolic rate. Thyroxin and Triiodothyronine

10 Goiters ~ A thyroid goiter is a dramatic enlargement of the thyroid gland. Goiters are often removed because of cosmetic reasons or, more commonly, because they compress other vital structures of the neck including the trachea and the esophagus making breathing and swallowing difficult. Hyperparathyroidism- No symptoms at all Confusion, foggy thinking Muscle cramps. A tingling sensation in the hands and feet. Loss of energy, always tired Trouble sleeping, waking up at night. Heredity. If other family members had hyperparathyroidism, you are at greater risk to develop the disease. Diseases

11 The thyroid is a small gland about the size of two joined cherries
The thyroid is a small gland about the size of two joined cherries. It is situated at the front of your neck, just below the larynx. The thyroid secretes (releases) three importanthormones – tri-iodothyronine (T3), thyroxine (T4) and calcitonin. Parathyroid All patients with hyperparathyroidism will develop osteoporosis There are no drugs that will make parathyroid disease better….None Interesting Facts

12 Concept Check 1. What is a symptom of Hyperparathyroidism? Sweating
Muscle atrophy Fatigue Loss of appetite 2. What trouble can a goiter cause? Headaches Muscle pains Hair thinning Difficulty breathing Concept Check

13 Concept Check 3. What happens when too little T3 and T4 comes out?
Sweating Hyperactivity Weight gain Weight loss 4. What is the function and importance of the Thyroid gland? The thyroid plays an important role in regulating the body's metabolism and calcium balance. The T4 and T3 hormones stimulate every tissue in the body to produce proteins and increase the amount of oxygen used by cells. Concept Check

14 Bibliography Works Cited
"Endocrine System Function." Buzzle. Buzzle, n.d. Web <http://www.buzzle.com/articles/endocrine-system- function.html>. "Parathyroid Disease." Cedars-Sinal. Cedars-Sinal, n.d. Web <http://www.cedars-sinai.edu/Patients/Health- Conditions/Parathyroid-Disease.aspx>. "Parathyroid Glands: Function." The American Association of Endocrine Surgeons. The American Association of Endocrine Surgeons, n.d. Web <http://endocrinediseases.org/parathyroid/parathyroid_ba ckground.shtml>. "Thyroid Gland Facts." House and Home. House and Home, n.d. Web <http://www.houseandhome.org/thyroid- gland-facts>. Bibliography


Download ppt "Thyroid and Parathyroid Glands"

Similar presentations


Ads by Google