Presentation on theme: "Tour of Historic Sites and Buildings in and around Lawrence."— Presentation transcript:
Tour of Historic Sites and Buildings in and around Lawrence
Pictures and text compiled by Lisa Harrod and Susan Niedenthal, Third Grade teachers at Deerfield Elementary School
Ice Age Rock The Ice Age Rock, also known as the Shunununga Boulder, is located on 6th and Massachusetts and has the names of the first 29 men to arrive in Lawrence on July 31, 1854. It was originally a Kaw Indian prayer stone.
Lawrence Depot The train depot has an excellent movie about Quantrill and the raid.
Pioneer Cemetery Pioneer Cemetery was the original resting place for 122 victims of Quantrill’s raid on Lawrence. In 1868 they were moved to Oak Hill Cemetery. There are still 4 gravestones at Pioneer Cemetery marking the graves of people killed in the raid.
South Park Bandstand South Park was dedicated in 1858, and the bandstand was built in 1906. On the evening of August 20, 1863, Lawrence citizens gathered to hear a band concert at the newly constructed bandstand. They were totally unaware that Quantrill and his men would strike the next morning.
South Park Lawrence’s oldest park, dedicated in 1854, is still enjoyed by Lawrence citizens today.
Douglas County Courthouse 1100 Massachusetts This is the first and only courthouse of Douglas County. It was designed by Frederick C. Gunn and John G. Haskell in 1903. It was saved from demolition in the 1960’s and renovated for use.
Watkins Community Museum 1045 Massachusetts The museum was originally the Watkins National Bank built in 1888 by Jabez B. Watkins. In 1929 the building was donated to the city and used as City Hall until 1970. Mrs. Jabez B. (Elizabeth) Watkins willed the land and building to the city.
Ernst Hardware 826 Massachusetts Ernst Hardware opened this store in 1905. Mary Barnes Dressmaking Factory originally occupied the building and built the floor to ceiling drawers the can still be seen on the South wall.
Mark’s Jewelers This is a 100 year old business in downtown Lawrence.
Sunflower 804 Massachusetts This was the first building to be rebuilt after Quantrill’s raid. In 1888, it became the Barteldes Seed Company. The seed store remained in this location until 1962.
Round Corner Drug Store 801 Massachusetts This building was built in 1865 and is the oldest building in Lawrence with the original name and location. It is considered the oldest drug store west of the Mississippi and was established in 1855 by B. W. Woodward. Mr. Woodward escaped Quantrill’s raid by hiding in a well.
House Building 729-731 Massachusetts This was a clothing store designed by John G. Haskell in the late 1850’s, and was one of two structures to survive Quantrill’s raid. Jacob House survived Quantrill’s raid by hiding in the basement.
Miller’s Hall 723-725 Massachusetts This building was built in the late 1850’s, for Josiah Miller, a Free State party activist and Lawrence’s First State Senator. A portion of this building survived Quantrill’s raid. It was home to the Kansas Free State, an abolitionist organization.
Eldridge Hotel 701 Massachusetts First built in 1855, it was burned in 1856 by pro- slavery Sheriff Sam Jones. A new 4-story hotel was rebuilt in 1857. Col. Shalor Eldridge, the hotels owner, vowed that every time the structure was destroyed, he would “rebuild and add a story to it.”
Eldridge Hotel Quantrill burned the hotel because it was considered the seat of Free-State activity but did not kill the occupants. Col. Eldridge immediately started building but was unable to keep his promise to add a story. In 1924 the hotel was demolished to make way for the present 5-story hotel, built by then owner, W. G. Hutson.
Liberty Hall 642 Massachusetts Erected on the cottonwood ashes of the anti-slavery newspaper, The Herald of Freedom. Originally it was an Opera house. It was rebuilt in 1911 as Bowersock Opera House after fire destroyed the original building.
Jayhawk in likeness of John Brown 6th and Massachusetts
Plaque on New Hampshire ( between 8th and 9th in grass by street) This site marks the area where about 20 unarmed recruits were shot and killed. The white recruits were killed but the colored recruits were not. All of these recruits were camped near where the Masonic Temple now stands.
Charles Robinson Section 8S Charles Robinson was the first governor of Kansas. He was born in 1816 and died in 1884. He was first elected governor in 1856. The Robinson Gymnasium on the campus of Kansas University is named after him.
Josiah Miller Section 2 Mr. Miller was a member of the first Kansas Senate. He suggested the State Motto “Add Astra Per Aspera”, while chairman of the Judiciary Committee. He harbored runaway slaves at his home located at 1111 E. 19th Street. He was born in 1828 and died in 1870.
John G. Haskell Section 3 John Haskell was the architect that designed many public buildings including the Kansas State Capitol in Topeka. He was born in 1832 and died in 1907. His brother Dudley C. Haskell was founder of Haskell Institute, now the Haskell Indian Nations University.
Jabez B. & Elizabeth M. Watkins Section 8N The Watkins were the owners of much property in Lawrence. They gave most of the land for the first buildings at Kansas University. The Watkins Community Museum is named after this family.
Forrest “Phog” Allen Section 13 Forrest Allen was a KU basketball player for James Naismith, who invented the game. Phog Allen followed James Naismith as the next KU basketball coach. Allen Fieldhouse is named after him and his statue stands in front of the building.
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.