2The subjunctive to express hopes and wishes! You already know how to use the subjunctive with impersonal expressions (It’s good that).You also use the subjunctive to express a HOPE or a WISH, such as when you want someone else to do something.(want THAT someone else DOES something)
3Ex: My teacher wants me to study Ex: My teacher wants me to study. A lot of times in English we say we want someone“to do” something, but what we are really saying is thatwe want that the person does something. In English, this sentence should read:My teacher wants that I study.TWO SUBJECTS with these triggers =SUBJUNCTIVE!
4Mi maestro quiere que yo estudie. (he knows what he wants… Mi maestro quiere que yo estudie. (he knows what he wants…. but he is not sure whether I will actually study. So you can’t use “ESTUDIO” because that’s definite. The word “estudie” opens up the possibility of doubt or uncertainty because someone else wants you to do something)
5The receptionist suggests that Isabel visit the Prado museum. El recepcionista sugiere que …Isabel visite el Prado.(she might not!)
6The formation of the subjunctive is still the same: Yo form, drop O, add opposite ending 1. The man needs my brother to work tomorrow (Does the man need my brother? NO! He needs THAT HE WORK) ______________________________________________ 2.The children want to eat: Is this sentence subjunctive? ________________________________________ 3. The children want their grandmom to eat the cake. _____________________________________________
74. I insist that you answer the phone 4. I insist that you answer the phone! ___________________________________________________________________ 5. We prefer for you to take the pills now. ___________________________________________________________________ 6. My parents want my cousins to come to our house. ___________________________________________________________________
87. I wish for you to have a very happy birthday 8. My parents want us to vacuum the room. (think about what you are really saying) ___________________________________________________________________
99. The teachers want us to get good grades 9. The teachers want us to get good grades. ___________________________________________________________________ 10. I hope that you are prepared! ___________________________________________________________________ 11. We hope that you can attend (asistir)! ___________________________________________________________________
10Irregulars in the subjunctive: You will recognize these forms because they were also irregular in the ustedes commands.
12HABER = HAYA(I hope there is time = Espero que haya tiempo)
131. I insist that you give me the cell phone 1. I insist that you give me the cell phone! _______________________________________________ 2. We want you guys to give us a good grade! ________________________________________________ 3. They want us to go to the movies later. __________________________________________
144. We insist that you make me a sandwich. __________________________________________________5. I hope that they go to the doctor soon.____________________________________________________6.He wants us to know the truth.7. I suggest that you be blonde.___________________________________________________