Presentation on theme: "Pre-visit information for primary school teachers."— Presentation transcript:
Pre-visit information for primary school teachers
Thank you for booking your visit to ZSL Whipsnade Zoo This resource is designed to give you all the information you need for your visit and is structured into the following sections: 1.Before your visit – a checklist to ensure you are prepared for your day 2.How to get to the Zoo – arriving by coach 3.On the day of your visit 4.Information to help prepare your students 5.After your visit to ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
1. Before your visit to ZSL Whipsnade Zoo Have you: Received your confirmation letter from ZSL Whipsnade Zoo? Print this to bring with you on the day Used the visitors’ map to plan your route around the Zoo? static.zsl.org/images/originals/whipsnade-zoo-spring-2013-map-with- hullabazoo jpg static.zsl.org/images/originals/whipsnade-zoo-spring-2013-map-with- hullabazoo jpg Planned which free talks and shows to attend on the day? Printed free self-guided activity sheets you could use with your class? Checked out the information for your risk assessment?
2. Getting to the Zoo – arriving by coach Only 20 minutes from the M25 (junction 21), ZSL Whipsnade Zoo is signposted from the M1 (junction 9 and junction 12) and all major roads - just follow the elephant on the above map. Coach parking Coach parking is free for schools during term- time. Coach entry Coaches are not able to enter ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, however a free Safari Bus provides transport once visitors are inside the Park. Coach driver benefits Coach drivers accompanying a group to ZSL Whipsnade Zoo are eligible for free entry into the Zoo and a meal voucher.
3. On the day of your visit to ZSL Whipsnade Zoo Enter the Zoo through the Main Entrance and show your confirmation letter to the gate staff. If you need to be invoiced – the gate staff will organise this for you You are welcome to bring packed lunches with you, or there are various catering outlets throughout the Zoo where you can buy lunch The first aid and lost child point is the Estates Office near the Discovery Centre. If anyone goes missing, please alert a staff member or call our reception on It may be helpful to have the Zoo phone number in your adult helpers’ mobile phones during the visit. Supervision ratios - It is Zoo policy that all children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult, therefore all school groups must be supervised throughout their trip. If any group is unsupervised, teachers will be contacted and asked to re-join their group.
4. Helping your students prepare for their visit This section is designed to help your students prepare for their visit. It covers: A.When you arrive at the Zoo B.Places to see in the Zoo C.A session with a Discovery & Learning Officer D.Free talks and shows to see E.Some extra information F.When you leave the Zoo If you choose to display this pdf in viewing mode in a presentation to your students, please refer to the pages that are relevant to your visit.
A. When you arrive at the Zoo You will enter ZSL Whipsnade Zoo through the Main Entrance
B. Places around the Zoo At ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, we have over 200 different kinds of animal for you to see!
Cheetah Rock Meet Dubai, our mum of five cubs! Check out some amazing Cheetah fast facts: whipsnade-zoo/exhibits/cheetah- rock/cheetah-facts,858,AR.htmlwww.zsl.org/zsl- whipsnade-zoo/exhibits/cheetah- rock/cheetah-facts,858,AR.html
Rhinos of Nepal Come face to face with Jamil our baby rhino (born in December 2012), his mum Behan and dad Hugo.
In with the Lemurs Did you know a group of lemurs is called a troop? We have two troops at Whipsnade: altogether we have 11 boys and 6 girls. Can you count them all on your walk through?
Amur Tigers Come and see these majestic big cats
Wild Wild Whipsnade From moose to honey badgers, wolves to bears, there are some amazing animals to see at Wild Wild Whipsnade
Lions of the Serengeti We have seven lions in our Whipsnade pride. The lion with the mane (Dad) is called Spike. We have cubs called Max, Kia, Kato and Tato who are now seven years old. When you are in the zoo keep your ears ready as you may hear the roar of our lions!
Discovery Centre Snakes, lizards, frogs and bugs are all waiting for you to find in the Discovery Centre!
Chimpnasium Come and visit our chimpanzees in their fantastic enclosure. The indoor gymnasium or ‘chimpnasium’ provides the group with a variety of opportunities for swinging, playing and even sleeping in the high level hammocks!
Giraffes / Climb the stairs to meet our giraffes face-to-face! Did you know, giraffes have the same number of neck bones as humans? We both have seven bones in our necks – but theirs are much bigger!
Common & Pygmy Hippos Common HippoPygmy Hippo Come and see our two hippo species. Can you believe they are more closely related to whales and dolphins that any other mammals?!
Jumbo Express express,268,EV.html express,268,EV.html Take a ride on our steam engine through the habitats of some of our animals! The Jumbo Express has restricted running hours during the year so please check the website to make sure it is available on the day of your visit School groups of at least 40 pupils must pre- order by phone. Groups of less than 40 pupils must purchase tickets from the ticket booth at the platform. The train journey takes 10 – 15 minutes
C. A session with a Discovery & Learning Officer You may have the chance to meet one of our Discovery & Learning staff for an activity. These are lots of fun - you may get to touch real objects from the natural world or even meet a live animal.
Your activity will be delivered in a room like this!
There are lots of talks and events happening around the Zoo you may wish to see. Maybe you’ll go to see the Elephant talk, or the Birds of the World display show. D. Free talks and events
Eating lunch If it is sunny you can eat your lunch outside on the grass. If it is not so warm you can eat lunch in one of the covered areas around the Zoo E. Some extra information Remember to put your litter into a bin – or even better, a recycling bin!
When you are visiting the animals Our animals are fed special, balanced diets. Make sure they don’t get any extra food from visitors as it can harm them. To see the animals and watch them behaving naturally, you need to be quiet so the animals don’t feel scared
If you get lost… Make sure you know the adult who is with your group on the day. If you get lost, find one of the zoo workers (wearing a green uniform) – they’ll take you to an office where your adults will come and meet you. Estate Office for First Aid & lost property
F. When you leave the Zoo At the end of the day it’ll be time to say goodbye to the Zoo and go back to school – remember to come back and see us soon!
4. After your visit to ZSL Whipsnade Zoo We greatly appreciate any feedback from teachers, so please fill out the online questionnaire at: For your next visit, make sure you check out the ZSL What’s On calendar If you need to get in touch, us at If you would like to keep up to date with learning news and events at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, make sure you sign up to receive the ZSL education e-news at up-for- swww.zsl.org/zsl-whipsnade-zoo/schools/sign- up-for- s