passage pupil completely shocked silence in silence recently take down terrorist n. 章节；段落 n. 学生 adv. 彻底地；完全地 adj. 惊愕的；受震惊的 n. 沉默；缄默；无声 沉默；无声 adv. 不久前；最近 拆除；往下拽；记录 n. 恐怖主义者；恐怖分子 Words & expressions
date tower at first truth Animal Helpline World Trade Center n. 日期；日子 n. 塔；塔楼 首先；最初 n. 实情；事实 动物保护热线 世贸大楼 ( 美国纽约 ) Words & expressions
Look at the pictures and title in the passage. What do you think the passage is about? Do You Remember What You Were Doing? 2a
2b Click it.
Read the passage and answer the questions. 1. What are the two events in the passage? 2. When did they happen? 1) Dr. Martin Luther King was killed. 2) The World Trade Center in New York was taken down by terrorists. Dr. Martin Luther King was killed on April 4, 1968. The World Trade Center was taken down on September 11, 2001. 2b
Read the passage again. Are the following statements true (T) or false (F), or is the information not given (NG)? __ 1. Everyone in American remembers who killed Dr. King. __ 2. Robert Allen was eating lunch when Dr. King was killed. __ 3. Robert’s parents were shocked to hear the news. __ 4. Kate Smith was watching a movie when a plane hit the World Trade Center. __ 5. Kate didn’t think her friend was telling the truth about the event. 2c F F F F T
Underline sentences from the passage with similar meanings to the ones below. 1. Not everyone will remember who killed him, but they can remember what they were doing when they heard that he got killed. 2d Although some people may not remember who killed him, they remember what they were doing when they heard the news.
2. No one said anything for the rest of dinner. 3. September 11, 2001 — the date alone means something to most people in the US. 4. I had trouble thinking clearly after that because I was very afraid. My parents did not talk after that, and we finished the rest of our dinner in silence. Even the date — September 11, 2001 — has meaning to most Americans. I was so scared that I could hardly think clearly after that.
1. She remembers working in her office near the two towers. 我会记得告诉她这件事。 I will remember to tell her about it. 你不记得昨天已经告诉过我了吗？ Don’t you remember telling me about it yesterday? remember to do sth. 表示 “ 记得去做某事 ( 还没做 )” ； remember doing sth. 表示 “ 记得做过某事 ( 已做过 )” 。 Practice
我忘记掉我昨天把门关了 ( 我关了门，但 是我忘了 ) I forget opening the door. 我昨天晚上忘记做作业了。 ( 实际上我没 有做 ) I forgot to do my homework last night. Practice 【链接】有类似用法的短语还有： forget doing sth. 忘记做过某事 ( 已做 ) / forget to do sth. 忘记做某事 ( 还未做 ) 。
People often ________ what they ________ when they _____ the news of important events in history. Robert Allen _________ dinner with his parents _____ he _____ the news that Dr. Martin Luther King died. Kate Smith ___________ in her office ____ the World Trade Center ______________ by terrorists. She was ________ that she could ______ think ______ after that. 根据课文内容填空。 rememberwere doing was eating heard when heard was workingwhen was taken down so scared hardlyclearly
1. It _______ heavily when I left the cinema. A. rains B. will rain C. is raining D. was raining 2. I ______ my clothes when the phone rang. A. wash B. washed C. am washing D. was washing
3. My brother came back home while I ______ homework. A. am doing B. were doing C. was doing 4. — Did you watch the football match yesterday? — Yes, I did. You know, my brother _____ in the match. A. is playing B. was playing C. will play
5. I ____ the charity show on TV when the telephone rang. A. watch B. watched C. am watching D. was watching