11What were your feelings when you heard the news?
12Discussion Do you remember the news about Yang Liwei in October, 2003? How did you find out about it?(a) From TV/radio(b) From a newspaper/ magazine(c) From a person (friend, family,teacher).(d) From the Internet.
13Reading—New words Lieutenant (陆军）中尉（海军）上尉 Colonel 陆军上校, 团长 中校NASA: National Aeronautics and Space Administration(美国)国家航空和宇宙航行局secretary-general秘书长, 总书记
16Guess wordsA person who travels to outerspace.A Soviet astronaut.A Chinese astronautA person who directsan aircraft or a ship.宇宙astronautcosmonattaikonautnavigatoruniverse
17Fill in blanks with the words in the box astronaut cosmonautnavigator taikonaut universeA(n) __________ is a person who travels into space. The word comes from the Greek words astron (which means “star”) and nautes (which means “sailor”). A Russian astronaut is a (n) ______________ .astronautcosmonaut
18The Russian word kosmonavt comes from the Greek words kosmos, meaning _______ and nautes. A Chinese astronaut is sometimes called _______________, from the Chinese word taikong, which means “space”. Chinese newspapers use the expression yuhangyuan, which means “space________ ”.universetaikonautnavigator
19Macth the title with the correct partConversations in SpaceCongratulations from the WorldWhat happened onOctober 16th, 2003Part 2Part 3Part 1
20Scanning– True or False 1. The taikonaut was in space for 21 hours.2. One of the astronauts aboard the Inter-national Space Station was born in China.3. The other man aboard the Space Stationis a Russian cosmonaut.4. China received messages ofcongratulations from all over the world.5. Sean O’Keefe works for the UnitedNations.6. Kofi Annan thought that the flight wasvery good news just for China.FFTTFF
21Read the whole article and find out people’s reactions (反应) towards the Shenzhou V.PeopleReactionsThe Beijing Space Control Center“a complete success”
22offer his congratulations Premier Wen JiabaoRussian CosmonautSean O’keefe from NASAKofi Annanoffer his congratulations“I’m glad…It’s great work by…”“historical chievement and wish China continuing success”“a step forward for the whole world”
23Read the whole article and Choose the correct answer 1. The congratulation from UnitedNations Secretary-General Kofi Annanwas that _____A. the flight was a complete successB. The flight was a step forward for thewhole worldC. It’s great work by thousands andthousands of people from ChinaD. The flight was an importanthistorical achievementB
242. After Yang landed, all the following people offered congratulationsEXCEPT____.A. Premier Wen JiabaoB. Edward Lu and Yuri MalenchenkoC. Sean O’KeeD. Kofi Annan3. China has become the______nationto send a man into space now.A. first B. second C. third D. 438thBC
254. Who telephoned the Control Centre when Yang Liwei landed?Wen Jiabao. B. Edward Lu.C. Kofi Annan. D. Sean O'keefe5. How many people had traveled inspace before Yang Liwei?A B C D. 437AC
266. Which of the following is NOT right?Yang Liwei was in space for 21.5hours.B. The two cosmonauts in theinternational space were fromAmerica and Russia.C. Sean O’keefe works for the UnitedNations.D. Kofi Annan thought that the flightwas good news for the whole world.B
27Read the text carefully again and use your own words to retell the text1. At 9 am yesterday Yang 1.2. Travelling in space Yang 2.3. Orbiting in the capsule Yang3.4. This morning Yang4.
28SummaryChina’s first __________Yang Liwei landed safely back on ______ on 16th ,October He was in ______for 21.5hours and made 14______ of the earth. While he was flying in the small space_______, he took____________ of the earth with his camera.The _____ was a big success. While he was traveling. Yang spoke to Americantaikonautearthspaceorbitsphotographscapsuleflight
29________ Edward Lu and Russian __________Yuri, who were aboard theinternational____________. Now thatYang has been so successful, there areplans to continue the Chinese space____________, so as to travel furtherinto the __________.astronautcosmonautSpace Stationprogrammeuniverse
30Discussion Do you remember the news about Yang Liwei in October,2003? 2. Do you think China shouldcontinue with its space programme?
321.Yang was in space for twenty one and a half hours and made 14 orbits of the earth. Orbit n. 轨道, 势力范围, 生活常规,vt. 绕……轨道而行vi. 进入轨道, 沿轨道飞行, 盘旋make an orbit of … 围绕……转圈月亮绕地球旋转。The moon orbits the earth.The moon makes orbits of the earth.
332. When he was orbiting in the capsule, he took photos of the earth 2. When he was orbiting in the capsule, he took photos of the earth. take photographs of: 摄影, 照相拓展一take photographs of +宾语 =take photos of +宾语=take pictures of +宾语=photograph +宾语拓展二photograph----photographer----photography 摄影术
343. When yang landed, Premier Wen Jiabao telehoned the control center tooffer his congratulations.congratulation 祝贺，恭喜，贺词（常用复数）congratulate vt. 祝贺congratulator n. 祝贺者congratulate sb. On /upon 就……向某人表示祝贺congratulate oneself 庆幸convey/ give / offer Congratulations表示祝贺
35祝贺你有了新工作Congratulations to you onyour new job.我给你我衷心的祝贺。I offer you my heartycongratulations.我们祝贺他通过了驾驶考试.We congratulate him on hispassing the driving test.
36他祝贺我们结婚。He congratulated us on gettingmarried.你真该为自己的表现自豪，你太棒了。You really should congratulateyourself on your action; you arewonderful.
37辨析：congratulate / celebrate 宾语是表示 “事物” 的词（节日，生日，胜利，成功等），不可以是人。They held a party to _________hisbirthday.celebrate
384. When yang took off from Jiuquan in north west China at 9 amyesterday, China became the thirdnation to send a man into space.take off (飞机) 起飞飞机20分钟以后起飞。The plane is to take off in twentyminutes.
39(2) 脱掉，去掉，拿掉我昨天晚上忘了卸装。I forgot to take off my make-uplast night.(3) 减少，休假因为损坏他们减少了售价的百分之十。They took another $10 off thesale price because of the damage.今年五月我们休假两个周。We took two weeks off this May.
40(4) 取消, 停止这服务今年夏末就取消了。The service was taken off at the end of thesummer.take的其他短语：take after 与……相像take up 开始从事/ 占据take apart 拆开take in 收留/欺骗/吸收take over 接管take down 拿下/记下/拆卸/病倒
41序数词 + 名词 常可用不定式或that引导的定语从句修饰。谁是今天早晨第一个来的学生？Who was the first student to comethis morning?杨是第438个在太空中旅行的人。Yang is the 438th person to travelin space.
42He is always __________________ _________________ (第一个来，最后一个走) 。② Mary ___________________________________ (是我遇到的第一个外国朋友）when I was in America.the first to comeand the last to leavewas the first foreign friend thatI met
435. Yang is the 438th person to travel in space including astronsuts from32 countries.include 包括，包含。后接 n. / pron./doing这个价钱包括邮资在内。The price includes postage charges.你的责任包括哄孩子睡觉。Your duties will include putting thechildren to bed.
44辨析：included 为形容词，而including为介词，在句中作状语。比较两者用法：Take all of us, me _________.=Take all of us, _________ me.includedincluding
455. In total, these astronauts have spent more than 26,000 days in space.这些宇航员总共在太空呆的时间已经超过了26000天。total (1) n. 总数，全部 in total 总数，合计总数是多少？What does the total come to ?修理费用总共500美元.The cost of the repairs came to $500 intotal.
46(2) vt. 加起来，求得……的总数学生总数为3000人。The students totaled 3,000.(3) adj. 整个的，全部的。他出尽了洋相。He made a total fool of himself.(4) a total of 总共他的费用总数已达到100美元。His expenses reached a total of $100.
47Practice(1) 我的钱加起来只有10 美元。My money totals only $10.(2) 他对于我来说完全陌生的。He is a total stranger to me.(3) 城堡对外开放的第一天总共有2000学生来参观。A total of 2,000 students visitedthe castle on the first day it wasopen to the public.
486. While he was travelling in space, yang spoke to two astronauts aboardthe International Space Station.aboard (1) adv. 上船（车，飞机等）登机时间到了.It’s time to go abroad.(2) prep. 上船（车，飞机等）他们上了轮船。They went aboard the ship.辨析：abroad 在国外，去国外
497. “Welcome to space,” he said. welcome (1) interj. 欢迎光临欢迎回家！Welcome home！欢迎回来！Welcome back！欢迎光临北京！Welcome to Beijing.
50(2) vt. (welcomed, welcomed) “欢迎” welcome sb. to some place (欢迎某人来某个地方), 不能用为 welcome sb. to dosth. (欢迎某人干某事)。她热情地欢迎来访者。She welcomed the visitors warmly. 翻译：欢迎您来我校参观。Welcome you to our school. （√）Welcome you to come to ourschool. （×）
51(3) adj. 表示“受欢迎的”，作定语或作表语。 我们感到在会上是不受欢迎的。We had the feeling that we were notwelcome at the meeting.(4) be welcome to sth./ to do sth. “可随意取用某物或做某事”。欢迎你任何时候用我的钱。You are welcome to the use of my moneyat any time.
52注意：You are welcome ! 常用来回答 Thank you very much! 表示 “别客气；没关系”。(5) C. 欢迎，款待我们受到了热烈的欢迎。We received a warm welcome.
538. I’m glad there is somebody else in space with us.else adv. 另外，其他（常加在疑问代词，疑问副词，或不定代词之后）他还说了什么？What else did he say?还会有谁去那儿？Who else will be there?
54拓展：else的所有格是 else’s ; or 他们不会来，不然他们就打电话了。They can’t be coming or elsethey’d have called.
55Practice:(1) You mustn’t tell_________ ----it’sa secret between you and me.A. anyone B. anyone elseC. no one D. someone(2) Since the key is neither yours normine, ________could it be?A. whose B. whose else’sC. who else D. who else’sBD
569. ...an important historical achievement and NASA wishes China continuing success with its space flight programme.wish to do:希望做……例如: 我希望可以见到经理。I wish to see the manager.wish sb to do:希望某人做……例如: 我希望你今天晚上来。I wish you to come here tonight.
58eg: 我希望我是一只鸟。I wish I were a bird.我希望我未告诉过他真相。I wish I had not told him the truth.我希望我可以在空中飞。I wish I could fly in the sky.wish+双宾语：祝你成功wish you success祝你旅途愉快Wish you a pleasant journey.
59success (1) n. (U) 成功他在生活中取得了巨大成功。He has achieved great success inlife.失败是成功之母。Failure is the mother of success.
60(2) n. (C) 成功的人或事这个计划大获成功。This plan is a big success.successful adj. 成功的 (常用于besuccessful in结构中) successfully adv.成功地 succeed v. 成功拓展：succeed in doing sth 成功的做……他成功完成了所有的任务。He succeeded in finishing all the task.
61historical historical Historical 历史的，有关历史的， 历史题材的，依据历史发展叙述的 This is a ____________ play.这是一部历史剧。He gave all his____________ papers tothe library.他将他所有的历史文献赠与了图书馆。historicalhistorical
62historic historic It was a _________ meeting between the two leaders. 那是两位领导人的具有历史意义的会见。November 11, 1918 is a __________day.1918 年11月11日是一个具有历史意义的日子。historichistoric
63achieve vt. (achieved, achieved, achieving) 达到(目的); 取得(胜利); 完成 achievement n. 完成, 达到；成就, 成绩 他希望尽快达到所有目标。He hopes to achieve all his aims soon.这个大学今年已经实现了所有的奋斗目标。The university has achieved all its goals this year.
64科学上的成就scientific achievement首次飞越大西洋是一个伟大的功绩。Flying across the Atlantic for the first time was a great achievement.
65program(me) n.节目, 程序, 纲要, 计划 vt. 规划, 拟……计划在这项计划中，少年和大人们共同制定规制度。In this program, the teenagers and the adults make the rules together.我看了一个有关农业的节目。I watched a program about farming.
66I like sports in general, and especially football. 10. United Nations Secretary- General Kofi Annan called the flight “a step forward for the whole world.”general adj.普通的, 一般的; 普遍的,总的, 全面的, 大概的, 大体的; (用于职务或官衔之后)首席的, 首要的 in general = Generally. 普遍地各种运动我一般都喜欢，尤其是足球。I like sports in general, and especially football.
67Secretary n. 秘书, 书记, 部长, 大臣Secretaries (pl)她做了二十年私人秘书。She worked as a private secretaryfor 20 years.
68HomeworkWrite a passage about your feelings when you heard the news about Yang Liwei. (try to use the words and expressions in the text)