The writer’s basic information I. Read for information: Age: ________ Occupation:______________________ Nationality: _______________ Destination:_______________________ Departure time: ____________________ Time to stay in Germany:________________ 20 English language assistant British/English Hagen in North-Rhein Westphalia, Germany, Monday 9th September Nine months
Sum up the main idea of each paragraph. Paragraph 1: Something I have never thought of became __________ Paragraph 2: Brief ___________ to the town Hagen. introduction reality reality Paragraph 3: Different ________when leaving Britain. emotions emotions Paragraph 4: ________ and preparations after arriving in Germany. Training Paragraph 5: My _____ that things will continue to be exciting in the next few weeks. hope II. Read for main idea:
1. What does the underlined word “this” in para 1 refer to? III. Read for details : “This “refers to living alone in another country, speaking a foreign language and teaching children English at the age of 20. 2. What are the things I hope to be exciting in the next few weeks in para 5? Things are settling into my new role as an English Language Assistant, setting up my new home and making lots of new friends Things are settling into my new role as an English Language Assistant, setting up my new home and making lots of new friends. getting used to / adapting to
Living alone in another country, speaking a foreign language and teaching children English at the age of 20 became reality. Settling into my new role as an English Language Assistant, setting up my new home and making lots of new friends. Settling into my new role as an English Language Assistant, setting up my new home and making lots of new friends will be exciting.
Hagen V_____ Hagen, t____ adventures there and e______ German life will be exciting. isitingaking njoying
3. We can infer from Para. 2 that _____. A ． The writer didn’t like the town at all. A ． The writer didn’t like the town at all. B ． The writer didn’t like the town at B ． The writer didn’t like the town at the very beginning. the very beginning. C ． The writer enjoys slow city life. C ． The writer enjoys slow city life. D ． The writer loves the town a little bit now. D ． The writer loves the town a little bit now. How do you know? Q: How do you know? The town is not initially what I wanted, as I prefer the hustle and bustle of city life, however, … at first / at the beginning busy and noisy
Emotions when leaving Britain Emotions when leaving Britain emotionsreasons worry and fear Not knowing what would happen … sadness leaving Mum and Dad excitement starting a new adventure The writer was feeling overwhelmed with the different emotions that were going through her mind.
4. How did the writer feel when she landed in Germany? A. Sad and comfortable B happy and disappointed C. relaxed and comfortable D. disappointed and happy This gave me plenty of time to sit in front of Cologne Cathedral with a cup of tea and take in my first sights of German life. Supporting information: As I quickly felt at ease.
5. I was definitely thrown in right at the deep- end, which was for the best, as I quickly felt at ease. This sentence means A. It is best for me to stay in the office alone and I felt happy. B I was completely in a strange and unfamiliar situation but I soon felt relaxed and I knew things would be better. C. I was asked to stay in the deep end of the office,which is the best thing they could do because I quickly felt happy.
6. What is the writer’s purpose in writing this passage? A. To share the emotions and experience of the writer’s adventure. B To explain the reason to go to Germany. C. To call on people to be a language assistant D. To show it is not easy to stay in a foreign country.
Upon arriving at … When landing in Germany, After being taken to school, Writer’s changes in emotions After settling down in Hagen at last, IV. Read for deep understanding : worried,fearful, sad but excited relaxed relieved, comfortable hopeful
A: You are going to England as an exchange student in spring festival. B: You are going to Fudan University to start you college life. What are your emotions if you have following adventures? Knowing that… I felt overwhelmed with different emotions; I feel…because …
Write down your own adventures according to following structure A:You went to Germany as an exchange student alone in this spring festival. B: You went to Fudan University to start you college life. Knowing that… I was overwhelmed with the different emotions were going through my mind; I feel…because … I also feel …because…
Homework: 1.write down your own adventure in about 100-150 words. 2.Recite paragraph 3.