Presentation on theme: "(1) UH Dorm Energy Competition: System Design Philip Johnson Collaborative Software Development Laboratory Information and Computer Sciences Dept. University."— Presentation transcript:
(1) UH Dorm Energy Competition: System Design Philip Johnson Collaborative Software Development Laboratory Information and Computer Sciences Dept. University of Hawaii Honolulu, HI
(2) Design Goals in a Nutshell (1) Provide energy data: Near real time feedback (~10 seconds) Floor-level granularity (2) Improve student energy literacy Increase knowledge, improve attitudes, change behavior Achieve (1) and (2) via behavioral change motivators: Personalized information (individual, floor, dorm...) Public commitments Achievable goals Social reinforcement Constant, contextual feedback Financial incentives
(3) Examples of dorm competition websites
(11) Basic issues with current sites Lack of real-time feedback Energy data updated once per week or less. Incentives not tied to data Commitments not related to energy data Energy data feedback not contextual Global dashboard
(12) How can we do better? Provide localized, near-real time energy data Updates every ~10 seconds Floor by floor metering Provide highly contextualized information The system is initialized with users and their locations - + Frears Hall #402 Commitments and data tied together Login to specify commitments, these are now associated with a dorm location and energy usage.
(13) How can we do better? Support energy literacy improvement Provide incentives for watching videos and passing simple quizzes about energy. - Points for dorm - Badges for individuals Connect local to global Provide commitments/data about university, city, state, nation as well as dorm. - HECO grid carbon data in real-time Support reusability, extensibility, external involvement Open source licensing Service oriented architecture Mix and match components Multiple display modes (webapp, kiosk, iPhone, etc.)
(14) Basic Architecture
(15) Enhanced Architecture WattDepot and HowDepot decouple presentation from information.
(16) Thank You
(17) System Component status WattDepot: Available; needs real-time enhancements Kukui Cup Website: Mockups of UI available HowDepot: Not started Initial steps: REST API, initial impl. Meter sensors: Not started Dormitory meters: Availability and status unknown