We think you have liked this presentation. If you wish to download it, please recommend it to your friends in any social system. Share buttons are a little bit lower. Thank you!
Presentation is loading. Please wait.
Published byNathan Stack
Modified over 4 years ago
Unit 3 – U. S. History Disunion, Civil War, and Reunion Jeopardy Review
1. Under this 1850 law, those helping escaped slaves could be fined or imprisoned.
What is the Fugitive Slave Law?
2. Best-selling novel that raised awareness about the conditions of Southern slaves
What is Uncle Toms Cabin?
3. 1854 law that repealed the Missouri Compromise, created two new territories in the Louisiana Purchase area, and allowed settlers in those territories to vote on slavery.
What is the Kansas-Nebraska Act
4. Americans attached this nickname to Kansas after violence broke out there between pro- and anti-slavery settlers.
What is Bleeding Kansas?
5. His speech in the Senate chambers attacking a pro-slavery Southern Senator earned him a canning.
Who is Massachusetts Senator Charles Sumner?
6. This Supreme Court decision ruled that a slave taken to free territory was still property, and slaves had no right to sue in courts of law.
What is the Dred Scott decision?
7. This was Lincolns position on slavery.
What is he was a free-soiler: He opposed the expansion of slavery.
8. His plan was to seize the federal arsenal there, distribute the weapons to neighboring slaves, and start an uprising
Who is John Brown at Harpers Ferry, VA?
9. This event convinced many Southerners that the North was ready to use violence to stamp out slavery.
What is John Browns raid on Harpers Ferry?
10. In this year, Lincoln was the first president elected from this party.
What is the Republican Party in 1860?
11. South Carolina was the first state to secede from the Union in this year.
What is December 1860, after the election of Lincoln?
12. Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas, Tennessee, Florida
What are the 11 states that seceded from the United States and formed the Confederate States of America?
13. Missouri, Kentucky, Maryland, Delaware
What are slave states that remained faithful to the Union?
14. Fort Sumter, near the entrance to the harbor of Charleston, South Carolina.
Where were the first shots of the Civil War fired?
15. Most of the battles of the Civil War were fought in this region of the U.S.
What is the South?
16. This side in the Civil War could claim naval superiority.
What is the North?
17. This side in the Civil War produced more food and manufactured goods and had a larger fighting-age population.
What is the North?
19. They planned to fight a defensive war until the other side gave up.
What are the Southerners?
20. They planned to control the Mississippi, blockade ports, and capture the capital to win the war.
What are the Northerners?
21. This former Mississippi Senator was elected president of the Confederate States of America.
Who was Jefferson Davis?
22. This side won the first real battle of the Civil War at Bull Run, VA
What is the South?
23. Richmond, VA
What was the capital of the Confederate States of America?
24. George McClellan
Who did Lincoln put in charge of the Union army and later remove for not being aggressive enough?
25. He refused Lincolns offer to command the Union army and instead took command of the Southern army.
Who is Robert E. Lee?
26. The Income Tax Act of 1861.
What law did Congress pass to help finance the Norths war expenses.? It taxed three percent of earnings over $800.
27. The Battle of Antietam, Sept. 17, 1862
What was the bloodiest single- day battle of the Civil War and the first major battle on Northern soil.
28. The Emancipation Proclamation.
What did Lincoln do in January 1863 to turn the Civil War into a crusade against slavery, making it morally more difficult for England to support the South?
29. Bloodiest battle and turning point of the Civil War?
What is Gettysburg?
30. After his capture of Atlanta in Sept. 1864, William Tecumseh Sherman left this mark on the south.
What is his army destroyed everything in its path on its march to Savannah, GA?
31. The dedication of a cemetery at Gettysburg was the occasion of this memorable oration.
What is Lincolns Gettysburg address?
32. This widely publicized assault demonstrated that African Americans could fight with skill and courage.
What is the unsuccessful attack of the 54 th Massachusetts regiment on Fort Wagner, SC?
33. Appomattox Court House
In what oddly named Virginia town did Robert E Lee surrender to Ullysses S. Grant in April 1865, ending the Civil War?
34. John Wilkes Booth
Who is a famous American actor and the assassin of Abraham Lincoln on April 14, 1865 at Ford Theater in Washington, D.C.?
35. Restore the South to the Union and protect the rights of former slaves.
What were the goals of the Reconstruction plans hatched by the North at the end of the Civil War?
36. His plan required 10 percent of voters to swear allegiance to the Union before a state could rejoin the Union.
Who is Abraham Lincoln?
Their Reconstruction plan was harsh and punitive
37. Their Reconstruction plan was harsh and punitive What is Congress?
38. A deal in 1877 to resolve a disputed presidential election ended this phase of Southern history.
What is Reconstruction?
39. The 13 th Amendment
What is the Constitutional amendment that ended slavery and involuntary servitude in the United States.
40. The 14 th Amendment
What is the Constitutional amendment that recognized everyone born in the U.S. or naturalized as a U.S. citizen and guaranteed them equal protection.
41. The 15 th Amendment
What is the Constitutional amendment that prohibited voting discrimination based on color, race, or previous servitude?
42. Congress took this action after Andrew Johnson fired his Secretary of War in violation of the Tenure of Office Act.
They impeached him.
43. Only the commander of the Andersonville Prison Camp was hanged and Jefferson Davis was imprisoned for two years, then released on bail.
What actions did the North take against Southern rebel leaders after the Civil War?
44. The Freedmens Bureau
What was an agency created by Congress in 1865 to provide food, clothing, medical supplies and schooling to former slaves and poor whites after the Civil War?
45. Forty acres and a mule
45. Forty acres and a mule. What were Black families initially promised in the South after the Civil War, but it never materialized?
What contemptuous name was applied to Northerners who came moved to the South after the Civil War to supposedly take advantage of the South?
47. Black Codes
These laws replaced the former slave codes in the South and restricted the mobility and freedom of African Americans.
What is a cashless work arrangement between landowners and tenants that became widely used after the Civil War and returned many Blacks to a state of virtual slavery?
Final Jeopardy Category: Reconstruction
The best known group of white racists that organized after the Civil War to intimidate Black Americans to keep them away from the voting booth and in their place.
Who are the Ku Klux Klan?
Jeopardy Q 1 Q 2 Q 3 Q 4 Q 5 Q 6Q 16Q 11Q 21 Q 7Q 12Q 17Q 22 Q 8Q 13Q 18 Q 23 Q 9 Q 14Q 19Q 24 Q 10Q 15Q 20Q 25 Final Jeopardy Civil War/Reconstruction.
Notes for Final Exam. Dred Scott-Slave who claimed he was free because he lived on free soil. Supreme Court said no, and declared the line of the.
The Civil War War Between the States.
The American Civil War Underlying Issues: Sectionalism States Rights Slavery.
The Civil War.
Civil War – Year by Year.
AHSGE Standard IV. Prelude to War o What congressional solution made California a free state and gave popular sovereignty to the New Mexico and Utah territories?
Chapter 9 Section 3 Troubles Build. 1) The debate over slavery was turning ________________________. Senator __________________________ of Massachusetts.
Civil War Unit Test Review
Civil War Review Civil War Review. What happened when the Southern states seceded?
A Mighty Avalanche-Issues Chart Causes of the Civil War.
FINAL EXAM REVIEW.
Dred Scott Decision, March 1857 Dred Scott was a slave who moved from a Missouri a slave state to free states Illinois and Wisconsin In 1846 Scott sues.
4 TH NINE WEEK EXAM EXAM REVIEW. Rural In the south most people lived in ___ areas and on small farms and plantations.
Jeopardy Leaders WAR! Reconstruction Key People Vocabulary Q $100 Q $200 Q $300 Q $400 Q $500 Q $100 Q $200 Q $300 Q $400 Q $500 Final Jeopardy.
The Civil War
The American Civil War.
Strategy and Battles of the Civil War
Civil War UNIT FIVE. From the NORTH or SOUTH? William T. Sherman.
© 2018 SlidePlayer.com Inc. All rights reserved.