2Theme ScriptureAnd I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it. And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.” (Matthew 16:18, 19 NKJV)
3The Church Defined Greek translation :ek-klay-see'-ah Refers to a community or assembly of people called out by Christ to Establish his kingdom on earth.
4References to the Church as a community of believers Then the churches throughout all Judea, Galilee, and Samaria had peace and were edified. (Acts 9:31 NKJV)Now in the church that was at Antioch there were certain prophets and teachers:(Acts 13:1 NKJV)Greet Priscilla and Aquila, my fellow workers in Christ Jesus, who risked their own necks for my life, to whom not only I give thanks, but also all the churches of the Gentiles. Likewise greet the church that is in their house. (Romans 16:3-5 NKJV)Greet the brethren who are in Laodicea, and Nymphas and the church that is in his house. (Colossians 4:15 NKJV)to the beloved Apphia, Archippus our fellow soldier, and to the church in your house: (Philemon 1:2 NKJV)
5Definition of A Cell Group The Cell is a unit of the body of Christ in a particular geographical location.The Cell as a unit of the body of Christ is a spiritual entity. It is not a social or human organization
6As such it can only grow and be sustained by spiritual energy and life Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. (John 15:4, 5 NKJV)
7Purpose of a Cell Group1.To help its members Grow in Relationship With GodCell Groups provide an effective place to learn about God and grow in our relationship with Him.Seeking Jesus in a Cell Group also gives us the opportunity to learn from others.
82.To Develop Relationships With Others. It is often very difficult in our society to develop trust with other people.Vulnerability is often met with hurt and betrayal.Small groups offer a safe opportunity to form strong, lasting friendships.They help us open our hearts to one another, begin to share honestly with one another, and learn to trust once more.
94. To Provide Support and Healing 3. To Equip and TrainGood teaching and modelling on how to develop and use spiritual gifts in a small group provides an atmosphere where people can take risks and even fail without feeling embarrassed.4. To Provide Support and HealingEveryone needs support or healing at some time in their lives. We all face emergencies, illness and personal crisis. It is within the Cells that this takes place as we gather around those in need, loving, supporting and praying for them as a group of friends.
105. To Provide Adequate Pastoral Care It is impossible for the Pastors to adequately care for over 1000 people. Cell Groups are a place where we can know others and be known.6. To Develop New LeadersSmall groups provide a way to train new leaders. Through the cells, people are discipled and led through a programme of training that will not only mature them in their faith, but prepare them for leadership roles in the community.
118. To bring people to Jesus 7. To Reach Out to Others.A significant focus of cell groups, should be reaching out to others with the Gospel and the practical love of Jesus.Putting a child through school, supporting a local HIV/Aids home for children and visiting an Old Age Home are some examples of what cell groups should be doing.Members should be trained to be other-centred rather than self- centred..8. To bring people to JesusCell Groups are the primary tool for evangelism.A person searching for answers to their life's questions, will find it easier and less intimidating to attend a small group than a large and impersonal church service.Cell members should be encouraged to invite visitors to their Cell as well as to regular Cell social events ..
123 Characteristics of an Effective Cell Group HealthGrowthMultiplication
131. HealthA. The most obvious element of group health is a noticeable presence of GodThis the major key to group health and it gives birth to the other elements of group health.People come not because there friend is there but because God is there.
14B. People really care for each other C. Guest are welcomed. D B. People really care for each other C. Guest are welcomed. D. The Lord is fervently worshipped E. People hunger for Gods Word and how to apply it to their lives F. Members feel loved and accepted G. Relationships are developed H. Spiritual growth occurs and lives are changed
152. Growth 3. Multiplication A highly effective group increases in numbers.The law of nature is that living, healthy cells grow.Attendance increase and members remain faithful and committedUnchurched Christians join and the lost are one to Christ .3. MultiplicationA highly effective group leader will help develop new leaders and new groups
16How to build an effective Cell group The key to success in building an effective Cell Group or any endeavour in life in general can be traced to our habits, what we do or do not do on a daily basis.A Cell Group will always reflect the habits and character of its leader per time.
17Why do some small groups grow and multiply while others do not? Is there some activity or set of activities a small group leader can do to increase the probability of the group growing and multiplying.Some of us think that the answer lies in having the right personality or getting the group to be more fun.While these ideas may be helpful, the real key to growing and multiplying a small group lies in the practice of eight personal godly habits.
18THE EIGHT HABITS OF EFFECTIVE GROUP LEADERS 1. DREAM: 2. PRAY 3. INVITE 4. CONTACT 5. PREPARE: 6. MENTOR 7. FELLOWSHIP 8. PERSONAL GROWTH
191. DREAM: Dream of Leading a Healthy, Growing, Multiplying Group You can never go further than you see.Having a Dream Positively Predicts the Future mark 11:24Having a written down specific dream will release the required motivation and power to bring it to pass: Habakkuk 2: 2-3
20Three Dreams of a Highly Effective Small Group 1. Group Health2. Group Growth in Numbers3. Group MultiplicationThe highly effective group leader will developNew leaders and new groups.Multiplication is in two foldsA. Number of leaders you want to raiseB. The time and date you plan to birth a new cell
212. PRAYA. Prayer is the most important activity of the small group leader.If a small group leader could do any one thing to make the group more effective, that one thing would be to pray.It has been revealed that leaders who spend 90 minutes or more in daily devotions multiply their groups twice as often as those who spent less than half an hourSuccess here will make success in other habits much easier. Failure here will make success in the other habits nearly impossible.
22B. Prayer Saves TimeThe biggest obstacle to prayer is that we are overwhelmed by our daily tasks. We never seem to have enough time.One of the biggest excuses made for not praying enough is being too busy. We think that it is a waste of time. We may not admit it, but by our actions it shows.Prayer allows God to do things in short periods of time that we could not accomplish without Him in months or even years of work.Prayer is a powerful time saver.
23C. Prayer is Omnipresent and Omnipotent It invites God to work in people’s lives even when the group is not meeting.You can’t meet with all of your small group members 24 hours a day, but God can.You can’t go with all of your small group members to their homes or with them to work, but God can.D. Prayer Makes Everything BetterNo one ever comes to the end of their life saying, “I prayed too much.”But many come to the end of their lives saying, “I prayed too little.”
24We can recognize the right person to recruit as a future leader. E. Prayer Gives Needed InsightWhen we listen in prayer, God gives us insight into important matters. Suddenly, we have new understanding of our members’ needs, strengths, struggles, and potential.We can recognize the right person to recruit as a future leader.F. Prayer is our Greatest Spiritual WeaponTwo of the things Satan fears most are prayer and multiplication, both are in the DNA of effective small group life.When we pray, we walk in power. We can fight Satan successfully from our knees.Only one weapon will hold him off and push him back. It is the weapon of prayer. This is why we must pray without ceasing
25Invite New People to Visit the Group Weekly 4. CONTACT:Contact Group Members Regularly5. PREPARE FOR GROUP MEETINGS:A Preparation Gives God Room to Work.Many leaders do not take the time to prepare the bible discussion topic they are leading.Members can tell how important the group is to the leader by how much he has prepared for it.When they find it empowering and interesting they will look forward to future gatherings.
26B Preparation Increases Confidence and Faith When a leader is well prepared, God has greater opportunity to work in the group.B Preparation Increases Confidence and FaithPreparation is the key to approaching the group meeting with confidence.C. Preparation Builds CredibilityWhen a leader is prepared the members will be more likely to follow his lead.They are also more willing to invite other guests. They will also respect the leader even more.
27D. Preparation Increases Quality Ninety-nine percent of the time, the prepared leader will lead better than the unprepared one.If a leader does not make it a priority to prepare, the members will not make it a priority to attend.Preparing today is the secret of success tomorrow6. FELLOWSHIP:Plan Group Fellowship Activities1. Social Gatherings Increase Excitement, Interest, and Involvement. It helps to strengthen the relationship amongst members2. Social gatherings attract new people.3. Social gatherings help knit new people to the group and the church
28Be Committed to Personal Growth A. Personal growth is the source of group change and growthWhen you improve yourself the situation will improve.When you grow as a leader, you allow God to grow your group and your people through you.The key to changing the group is changing the leader. Grow the group by growing the leader.B. Personal growth is the key to staying sharp and effectiveC. Personal growth is a life-long process, not a short-term commitmentD. Personal growth is the product of daily habitE. Your personal growth enables you to help your group members achieve their own personal growth
29A. Demonstrate What You Hope to Reproduce 8. MENTOR:Mentor an Assistant LeaderA. Demonstrate What You Hope to ReproduceThe person who raises up highly effective small group leaders who will live the eight habits is the leader who lives the eight habits himself.B. Discover Potential LeadersC. Deepen Your Relationship with Potential LeadersTwo of the best ways to deepen relationships:Pray together. Nothing knits people closer together than quality time spent around the throne of God.Play together. Capitalize on every opportunity to spend time together outside of small group ministry settingsD Describe the Vision