Presentation on theme: "1. I can name and identify the characteristics of the Five Themes of Geography. Movement – The transportation of goods, people, and ideas. Region – Geographical."— Presentation transcript:
1. I can name and identify the characteristics of the Five Themes of Geography. Movement – The transportation of goods, people, and ideas. Region – Geographical area that is defined by certain similar characteristics. Place - The physical and human characteristic of a place. Human / Environmental Interaction – How humans and the environment interact with each other. Location – Where something is found.
2. I can use longitude and latitude to identify a place’s absolute location. Philadelphia, USA Cairo, Egypt St. Petersburg, Russia Rio de Janeiro, Brazil Sydney, Australia (40°N, 75°W) (30°N, 31°E) (60°N, 30°E) (23°S, 43°W) (34°S, 151°E)
3. I can identify in which hemispheres a place is located. Philadelphia, USA Cairo, Egypt St. Petersburg, Russia Rio de Janeiro, Brazil Sydney, Australia Northern & Western Northern & Eastern Northern and Eastern Southern & Western Southern & Eastern
4. I can identify the imaginary lines that separate a globe into zones. The equator separates the globe in to Northern & Southern hemispheres. The prime meridian separates the globe into Western & Eastern hemispheres.
5. I can identify different map types (physical, political, climate, ect.) Political Climate Physical
6. I can identify the characteristics of the different government types. Monarchy – Power is passed down through family blood lines. They have absolute power. Dictatorship – The leader usually takes power by force and has a strong military background Democracy – The power is in the hands of the people and they vote for their leaders. Theocracy – The government is run according to religious text and rules.
Capitalism – All businesses are privately owned. Socialism – Some businesses are privately and publically owned. Communism– All businesses are publically owned. 8. I can identify the characteristics of the following economic systems:
8. I can understand the events that led to the tenth anniversary of 9/11. An Muslim extremist group called Al Qaeda (the base) hijacked several United States airlines and crashed them into the two World Trade Center towers and the Pentagon. A fourth plane crashed in Pennsylvania after the passengers thwarted the terrorist attacks. The person in charge of Al Qaeda is Osama Bin Laden who was recently found and killed in Afghanistan by the United States’ SEAL Team 6.
I can provide examples of businesses that are privately owned. McDonald’s and Burger King, Pepsi and Coca-cola, Microsoft and Apple, and Playstation and Wii are all examples of privately owned companies, which is part of the main principles of Capitalism.
I can identify businesses in America that are publically owned. Public schools, fire department, police department, and US Post Office.
11. Define barter: To trade something.
12. Define consumer: Someone who purchases goods or services.
13. Define producer: Someone who creates an item.
14. Define goods and services: Goods: physical item that someone can buy Service: an act provided for another individual(s)
15. Define interdependence: The result of specialization allowing for the world to depend on one another economically
16. Define specialization: pursuing a particular line of study or work
17. Define quota: A specific limit placed on imported goods.
18. Define tariff: A tax on imported goods.
19. Define supply and demand: Supply is how much of something you have and demand is the want there is for an item.
20. Define GDP: The total amount of money a country produces in goods and services in a year.
21. Define profit: The amount of money you make, minus the cost of producing the good.
Define opportunity cost: Choosing one good over another good. Example, you could choose item A. or B. You choose item A. so item B. was your opportunity cost.
What is an example of a country for each of the government systems? Democracy Theocracy Monarchy Dictatorship USA Vatican City Saudia Arabia North Korea
What is an example country for each economic system? Capitalism Socialism Communism USA Sweden Cuba
Where were the Summer Olympics held? They were held in London, England.