Words related to law 1. a dishonest, violent, or immoral action that can be punished by law. Last night a woman was murdered, and the _____ was committed by a male. 2. someone who has been attacked, robbed, or murdered. In most sexual offences the attacker is known to the ______. crime victim
3. an official organization whose job is to make sure that people obey the law, to catch criminals, and to protect people and property. Someone was heard fighting in the restaurant and I dialed 110; several ____________ arrived 5 minutes later. police officers
4. a police officer whose job is to discover information that will result in criminals being caught. She hired a ________ to find out where her husband was going after work. detective
5. an official attempt to find out the reasons for something such as a crime, accident, or scientific problem. The government is to launch a full- scale ___________ into the crash which claimed over 150 lives. investigation
evidence offence 6. facts, objects, or signs that make you believe that something exists or is true. The _______ was enough to prove him to be guilty. 7. an illegal action or a crime Driving while drunk is a serious _______.
interview suspicious 8. to ask someone questions to find out something The police ________ some local people and find some evidence. 9. thinking that someone might be guilty of doing something wrong or dishonest, without being sure. His behavior that day made the police _________.
10. someone who sees a crime or an accident and can describe what happened Police have appealed for ________ to come forward and help them find the murderer. witnesses
11. if the police arrest you, they take you away because they think you have done something illegal. The man was _______ for breaking the law. arrested
12. someone who is involved in illegal activities or has been proved guilty of a crime The man giving a lecture at the hall was a _______, who was being purchased by the police. criminal
13. someone who is thought to be guilty of a crime. Two _______ were arrested today in connection with the robbery. 14. to do something wrong or illegal Women ______ fewer crimes than men. suspects commit
15. having done something that is a crime He was found _____ of murder in the court. 16. to state officially that someone is guilty of a crime The man they arrested last night has been _______ with murder. guilty charged
17. a building or room where all the information concerning a crime is given so that it can be judged. The witness was required to appear in _____. court
18. a legal process in which a court of law examines a case to decide whether someone is guilty of a crime. Brady was on ____ for robbing an old man of his money. trial
B. Flow chart about the stages of the legal process.
C. Read the passage and finish it Answer: 1. police station 2. crime 3. trials 4. arrested 5. charged 6. investigation 7. lawyers 8. witnesses 9. guilty 10. sentenced 11. prison 12. victims
D. Match words with their definitions 1. a. 2. b. 3. c. 4. d. 5. e. 6. f. 7. g. 8. h.
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.