Presentation on theme: "First Aid Unit5. first-aid-kit bandage an ambulance."— Presentation transcript:
First Aid Unit5
first-aid-kit bandage an ambulance
What words can you think of when you talk about accidents and first aid? Brainstorming Accident fall ill bleed choke bite sprain ankle burn/ catch fire wound poison electric shock …
What is first aid? help, fall ill, injured, quickly _______ is the first kind of ____ given to someone who suddenly ______ or gets ______ before a doctor can be found. Often the illness or injury is not serious, but there are other times when giving first aid ______ will save ones life. First aidhelp falls ill injured quickly
Discuss in groups about the following pictures a snake bite bleeding a sprained ankle choking a broken arm a bloody nose
A snake has bitten him on the leg. Lay the person down and keep him still. Do not wash the venom off the skin. Apply pressure to the bitten part with your hands. Do not move him until the doctor comes. a snake bite
She has cut her arm with some broken glass and is bleeding badly. bleeding Put a bandage on the wound and apply pressure to reduce the bleeding
He has badly sprained his ankle. a sprained ankle Get him to sit down and then put some ice on his ankle to reduce the swelling. Get him to put his foot up on a chair and bandage his ankle up firmly.
She is choking on a piece of food. choking Bend her forward and give her four quick, hard slaps between the shoulder bladeswith hand.
She has broken her arm. a broken arm Do not move the broken bone if possible. Keep the arm still using a bandage. Call for help immediately.
His nose is bleeding. (He has a bloody nose.) a bloody nose Sit down and bend forward slightly. Squeeze his nose just below the bridge () until the bleeding stops.
What has happened? What sort of injuries the child will have? What kind of first aid would you perform? Pre-reading
Place burns under gently running water for about 10 minutes.
Take clothing off the burned area unless it is stuck to the burn. Take off other clothing and jewellery near burns.
Place cool, clean, wet cloths on burns until the pain is not so bad.
If the injuries are second degree or third degree burns, get the victim to the doctor or hospital at once.
Fast reading 1. What do they tell you about the passage? the purpose of skin, causes, types, characteristics of burns and first aid treatment for burns.
2. In which order are these topics covered in the text? Number them from 1 to 5. ____ the three types of burns ____ what to do if someone gets burned ____ the purpose of skin ____ the symptoms of burns ____ how we get burns
Careful reading Read the passage carefully and finish the tasks for every part.
Part 1. The purpose of skin: 1)Protect you against, and ; 2) Keep you or ; 3) Prevent you from ; 4) Give you. losing water sense of touch warmcool diseasespoisons the suns harmful rays
You can get burnt by : ____________________________ Part 2 Causes of burns 1. hot liquids 2. steam 3. fire 4. radiation 5. the sun 6. electricity and chemicals
Part 3 Types of burns Part 3 Types of burns There are _______ types of burns depending on which _______ are burned. _______________ affect only the _____ layer and should feel better within _______________. ________________ affect both the _____ and the _______ layer. These burns are _______ and take ______________ to heal. ________________ affect all ______ layers and any ______ and ______ under the skin. They are very _______ injuries and the victim must get to a ________ at once. three layers First degree burns top a day or two Second degree burnstop secondserious a few weeks Third degree burnsthree tissueorgans severehospital
Part 4 Characteristicsof burns Part 4 Characteristics of burns B A C Extremely painful Mildly swollen Tissue under them often can be seen. second degree burn first degree burn third degree burn
First degree Burns Second degree burns Third degree burns 1. Get the victim to the doctor or hospital 3. Place cool, clean, wet clothes on them until the pain is not so bad. 2. Keep cloths cool by putting them back in the cold water; squeezing them out and placing them on the burned area over and over again for about an hour until the pain is not so bad. Part 5 First treatment
1. aid (=help) 1. offer/do/perform/conduct/carry out first aid 2. come to ones aid with the aid of sb. in aid of be a great aid to 3. hearing aid teaching aids 4. aid sb. … … to do… in doing… with/in sth.
2. fall ill fall+ adj. ill sick asleep silent His wife suddenly _______ ________ last week. She has _______ ________ for a week. fell ill been ill fallen
3. injury (n.) injury to sth. do sb. an injury injury to ones reputation/pride/fame. an injure to the head hurt injure wound
He got _________ in the fighting. He was badly _______ in a car accident. Her words ________ me deeply. I _____ my back when I fell. My feet _______. wounded injured hurt
4. get burned /burnt get hurt get paid get lost get separated get drowned get caught in get changed get dressed get damaged get killed get married get injured
5. for a moment (=for a short time) for the moment (=for now) not for a moment ; in a moment (=very soon) at the moment (=at the present time; then). the moment (=as soon as) …… One moment (=Wait a moment)! !
6. over and over again over and over again and again once and again many times many a time time after time from time to time now and then now and again sometimes at times on occasion
7. in place, out of place, in place of in ones place take ones place take the place of sb. take place,, ()
1.Why should you put cold water on a burn? 2.Why doesn t a third degree burn hurt? 3.Why do you think clothes and jewellery near burns should be removed? 4.If someone has a third degree burn, why might you see tissue?
1. Why should you put cold water on a burn? 2. Why doesn t a third degree burn hurt? Because the cold water stop the burning process, stop the pain and reduces the swelling. Because in a third degree burn the nerves are damaged. If there are no nerves, there is no pain.
3. Why do you think clothes and jewellery near burns should be removed? 4. If someone has a third degree burn, why might you see tissue? Because this may break any blisters and the wound may get infected. Because these affect all three layers of the skin and any tissue and organs under the skin.
30The classroom is big enough, but well have to move if we have more students. Afor the momentBon the moment Cin a moment Dfor a moment