3… … bleed choke fall ill Accident poison wound sprain ankle BrainstormingWhat words can you think of when you talk about accidents and first aid?bleedchokefall illbiteelectric shockAccidentburn/ catch firepoison… …woundsprain ankle
4What is first aid?help , fall ill , injured , quickly_______ is the first kind of ____ given to someone who suddenly ______ or gets ______ before a doctor can be found. Often the illness or injury is not serious, but there are other times when giving first aid ______ will save one’s life.First aidhelpfalls illinjuredquickly
5Discuss in groups about the following pictures a snake bite bleeding a sprained anklechoking a broken arm a bloody nose
6a snake biteA snake has bitten him on the leg.Lay the person down and keep him still.Do not wash the venom（毒液） off the skin.Apply pressure to the bitten part with yourhands. Do not move him until the doctor comes.
7She has cut her arm with some broken glass and is bleeding badly. Put a bandage on the wound andapply pressure to reduce the bleeding
8He has badly sprained his ankle. a sprained ankleGet him to sit down and then put some ice on his ankleto reduce the swelling. Get him to put his foot upon a chair and bandage his ankle up firmly.
9She is choking on a piece of food. Bend her forward and give her four quick,hard slaps between the shoulder blades （肩胛）with hand.
10She has broken her arm.a broken armDo not move the broken bone if possible.Keep the arm still using a bandage.Call for help immediately.
11His nose is bleeding.(He has a bloody nose.)a bloody noseSit down and bend forward slightly.Squeeze his nose just below the bridge (鼻梁)until the bleeding stops.
12Pre-readingWhat has happened?What sort of injuries the child will have?What kind of first aid would you perform?
13Place burns under gently running water for about 10 minutes. wash
14Take clothing off the burned area unless it is stuck to the burn. Take off other clothing and jewellery near burns.take off
15Place cool, clean, wet cloths on burns until the pain is not so bad. cover
16If the injuries are second degree or third degree burns, get the victim to the doctor or hospital at once.send
17Fast reading 1. What do they tell you about the passage? the purpose of skin , causes, types, characteristics of burns and first aid treatment for burns.
182. In which order are these topics covered in the text 2. In which order are these topics covered in the text? Number them from 1 to 5.____ the three types of burns____ what to do if someone gets burned____ the purpose of skin____ the symptoms of burns____ how we get burns35142
19Careful readingRead the passage carefully and finish the tasks for every part.
20Part 1. The purpose of skin: Protect you against , and;2) Keep you or ;3) Prevent you from ;4) Give youdiseasespoisonsthe sun’s harmful rayswarmcoollosing watersense of touch
21Part 2 Causes of burns You can get burnt by : hot liquids steam fire ____________________________hot liquidssteamfireradiationthe sunelectricity and chemicals
22Part 3 Types of burns which _______ are burned. There are _______ types of burns depending onwhich _______ are burned._______________ affect only the _____ layer andshould feel better within _______________.________________ affect both the _____ and the_______ layer. These burns are _______ and take______________ to heal.________________ affect all ______ layers andany ______ and ______ under the skin. They are very_______ injuries and the victim must get to a ________at once.threelayerstopFirst degree burnsa day or twoSecond degree burnstopsecondseriousa few weeksThird degree burnsthreetissueorgansseverehospital
23Part 4 Characteristics of burns first degree burnAExtremelypainfulsecond degree burnBMildly swollenCTissue underthem oftencan be seen.third degree burn
24Part 5 First treatment First degree Burns Second degree burns Third degree burns1. Get the victim to the doctor or hospital2. Keep cloths cool by putting them back in the cold water; squeezing them out and placing them on the burned area over and over again for about an hour until the pain is not so bad.3. Place cool, clean, wet clothes on them until the pain is not so bad.
261. aid (=help)1. offer/do/perform/conduct/carry out first aid2. come to one’s aidwith the aid of sb.in aid ofbe a great aid to3. hearing aidteaching aids4. aid sb.为了帮助…对…有很大的帮助助听器教学用具to do…in doing…with/in sth.
272. fall illfall+ adj.illsickasleepsilentfell illHis wife suddenly _______ ________ last week.She has _______ ________ for a week.been illfallen
283. injury (n.) injury to sth. do sb. an injury injury to one’s reputation/pride/fame.an injure to the headhurtinjurewound肉体，精神上的伤害（一般用语），疼痛意外或事故而受伤指外伤（刀、枪、剑伤）
29woundedHe got _________ in the fighting.He was badly _______ in a car accident.Her words ________ me deeply.I _____ my back when I fell.My feet _______ .injuredhurthurthurt
315. for a moment (=for a short time) 片刻 for the moment (=for now) 暂时；目前not for a moment 决不; 从来没有in a moment (=very soon) 不久，一会儿at the moment (=at the present time; then).此刻，就在那时the moment (=as soon as) 一…（就…）One moment (=Wait a moment)! 等一下!
326. over and over again“多次”over and overagain and againonce and againmany timesmany a timetime after time“有时”from time to timenow and thennow and againsometimesat timeson occasion
337. in place 在适当的位置上,准备就绪 out of place 位置不当,不得体 in place of in one’s placetake one’s placetake the place of sb.take place 发生,进行代替,替换(介词短语)代替,替换(动词短语)
341.Why should you put cold water on a burn? Questions1.Why should you put cold water on a burn?2.Why doesn’t a third degree burn hurt?3.Why do you think clothes and jewellery near burns should be removed?4.If someone has a third degree burn, why might you see tissue?34
351. Why should you put cold water on a burn? 2. Why doesn’t a third degree burn hurt?Because the cold water stop the burning process, stop the pain and reduces the swelling.Because in a third degree burn the nerves are damaged. If there are no nerves, there is no pain.35
36Because this may break any blisters and the wound may get infected. 3. Why do you think clothes and jewellery near burns should be removed?4. If someone has a third degree burn, why might you see tissue?Because this may break any blisters and the wound may get infected.Because these affect all three layers of the skin and any tissue and organs under the skin.36
3730．The classroom is big enough , but we’ll have to move if we have more students. A．for the moment B．on the moment C．in a moment D．for a moment