2The importance of friendship Emphasis : Learning skills Chuck’s FriendTeaching aims:The importance of friendshipEmphasis : Learning skillsTeaching methods:Communicative & task-based teaching / learningTeaching aids : ComputersLanguage skills:Listening, speaking & reading
3Task 1 Free talkThink out some adjectives to describe a five-star friend.loyalfriendlykinda 5-star friend(qualities)a 5-star friend(qualities)helpfulwisefunnyhandsomesmart
41. Someone who is _________ about something is completely truthful about it and does not hide anything.2. Someone who is _________ is willing to do something dangerous.3. Someone who is ________ is true to their friends, or their country.4. Someone who is ________ is able to use their experience and knowledge to make right decisions.5. A man who is good-looking is _________.6. Someone who is _________ is pleasantly neat(整洁) and clean in appearance.honestbraveloyalwisehandsomesmart
5Make sentences about your own friends, using the given adjectives. Example:My friend Jack is He never tells lies.honestMy friend Alan is He once saved the life of a little girl who had fallen into a lake.braveMy friend Bob is He wouldn't talk to Charles whom I don't like at all.loyal
6My friend David is . He always gives me the best advice. wiseMy friend George is a handsome boy, but he doesn't like to study and always dreams of becoming a model.handsomeMy friend Harry is a smart student. He always asks good questions in class.smart
7Say something about your best friend. I have a good friend. He is always dressed neatly and cleanly.He looks like Zhou Runfa. He never tells lies, or he is always ready to help. He is not afraid of danger or difficulty. He always has very clever ideas when others do not know what to do.
8What do you need if you want to Task 2 Pre-readingWhat do you need if you want tomake a fire ?see your own face?cut a pencil?hear news?cook some cookies（煎饼）?shoot（击中）a running animal?cut wood?to be away from the rain?tie the hands of a thief?know the directions（方向）?
9Suggested answers:1. I think a knife would be the most useful item, because I could use it to kill animals and cut the meat. It could also be used to cut wood.2. I also think a box of matches would be useful because I could use the matches to make fire. If I had a fire, I could cook food, stay warm and keep wild animals away. More importantly, if someone saw the fire, they would come and save me.
103. I think a book would be more useful than a radio, because you don't need batteries to read. And when I read, I would learn about life and the world and forget my loneliness.
11Task 3 ReadingEnjoy some wonderful pictures from the famous film Cast Away!
20What do you want to know from the film? The film Cast Away, starring Tom Hanks, describes a man’s struggle with loneliness and his journey towards self-knowledge. The film shows us how Chuck, a busy manager who never has “enough time,” ends up on an island with nothing but time. He manages to survive on the island and he realizes the importance of friends and friendship. The text, describes his experience and the lessons he learns from his unusual friend, Wilson.
21Guess, skim (略读) and answer: 1）Who is “my friend Wilson”？ 2）Why did Chuck Noland treat Wilson as his friend？A volleyball he calls Wilson.He feels very lonely when he is alone on the deserted island. In order to survive, he develops a friendship with an unusual friend — a volleyball he calls Wilson.
22Scan（查读）and answer:1）What is Cast Away?2）Where does the story take place？3）How many people stay there？4）How long does Chuck stay there？5）What does Chuck do in order to survive？6）What does Chuck learn about himself when he is alone on the island?The name of a film.On a deserted island.No one.Five years.He learns how to collect water, hunt for food, and make fire. More importantly, he learns to live without friends.
236）What does Chuck learn about himself when he is alone on the island? He learns a lot about himself when he is alone on the island. For example, he comes to realize that friendship is important in his life, that he hasn’t been a good friend, and that he should care more about his friends.
24Careful reading and understanding the text 1. Tom Hanks _____________.A. is a successful businessmanB. doesn't have much free timeC. is the main actor in the movie Cast AwayD. had a plane accident over the Pacific2. A deserted island ____________.A. has no post office on itB. lies in the middle of the Pacific OceanC. is an empty place where nobody livesD. is a place where plane crashes are most likely to happen
253. To be short of is what makes it most difficult for Chuck to live on the island. A. volleyballs B. fresh water C. friendship D. enough food4. After 5 years alone on the island, Chuck would probably disagree that _________.A. a good friend should never think about himselfB. people can make friends with some unusual things like animalsC. friends are the people who can share your happiness and sorrowD. as a good friend, you must give as much as you take
265. Which can be learned from the last paragraph of the passage? A. Everyone need an unusual friend.B. Friends can learn from each other.C. A friend in need is a friend indeed.D. Animals and things can make better friends than human beings.
27C C 1. Tom Hanks _____________. A. is a successful businessman B. doesn't have much free timeC. is the main actor in the movie Cast AwayD. had a plane accident over the Pacific2. A deserted island ____________.A. has no post office on itB. lies in the middle of the Pacific OceanC. is an empty place where nobody livesD. is a place where plane crashes are most likely to happenCC
283. To be short of is what makes it most difficult for Chuck to live on the island. A. volleyballs B. fresh water C. friendship D. enough food4. After 5 years alone on the island, Chuck would probably disagree that _________.A. a good friend should never think about himselfB. people can make friends with some unusual things like animalsC. friends are the people who can share your happiness and sorrowD. as a good friend, you must give as much as you takeCA
29B 5. Which can be learned from the last paragraph of the passage? A. Everyone need an unusual friend.B. Friends can learn from each other.C. A friend in need is a friend indeed.D. Animals and things can make better friends than human beings.B
30Student-centered vocabulary learning: 1) Make a list of words and expressions from the text that you want to learn.2) Try to understand the words or expressions (either by using clues（线索）, pair work, or group discussion).
31What is the text about?Cast Awayplaysurvivedesertedchallengeshareunusualsuch as
32What is the text about?The picture shows a man who lives like a wild man, alone. He has to take care of himself. The title says that the text is about Chuck’s friend.Guess by using clues（线索）
33Cast AwayThe words are in italics（斜体）, so I know that it must be the name of a film or a book. I can probably skip the word and look it up in the dictionary later. If I read the text I will learn that the film is about a man who has to live alone on an island, away from his friends, because of an accident, so I can guess that “Cast Away” refers to the man in the story and his situation. The dictionary says to be left alone on an island after your ship has sunk.clues (form) + skip + clues (context) + look up
34playTom Hanks is a famous actor. He “plays” a man named Chuck Noland in the film Cast Away I can guess that plays means acts.context （上下文）
35surviveWhen airplanes crash (fall down), most people die. If, like Chuck, they don’t die, they go on living, so I can guess that to survive means to go on living.context + world knowledge
36desertedcontextThe text tells me that Chuck lands on a deserted island. The text also tells me that there are no people on the island, so I can guess that a deserted place means a place where there are no people.
37challengecontextThe text tells me that there are different challenges in Chuck’s life — he has to collect water, hunt for food, and learn to survive without friends. I can guess that a challenge is something difficult that you have to do.
38sharecontext + look upI know that I like to talk to my friends when I am happy or sad. If I am sad, talking to a friend makes me feel better. I can guess that “to share” happiness or sorrow means something like “tell others about how I feel” or “make others understand how I feel”. The dictionary says that share means to have the same interest or feeling as someone else.
39unusualformI know that usual means “something that happens all the time” or “normal.” If I know that the prefix “un-“ means not, I can guess that unusual means not normal or strange.
40such ascontextA lucky pen and a diary are examples of favourite objects, so I can guess that such as means for example or “like.”
41Summary1 Chuck Noland, a successful businessman, lands on a deserted island after a plane crash.2 Chuck has to learn basic survival skills on the island. In order to deal with his loneliness, Chuck develops a friendship with a volleyball he calls Wilson.
423 Five years’ life on the island teaches Chuck the importance of having friends and being a good friend. Wilson may just be a volleyball, but their friendship is real and in some ways better than Chuck’s friendships in the past.4 Human friends and unusual friends are important in our life. Friends and friendship help us understand who we are and what we should do for each other.
43Task 4 Post-reading1) If you found yourself like Chuck, suddenly alone on that island, would you try to kill yourself?If so, after how long?2) What would be harder?The physical（物质的）challenge of getting enough food and water, or the emotional (情感的) challenge of being alone all the time?
443) What would be the hardest part about being out of touch with society (社会)? 4) The text talks about giving and taking. How do friends give and take?5) What does friendship teach us?Having no friends / being lonely.We must give as much as we take.Friendship teaches us who we are and what we should do for each other.