Presentation on theme: "Discovering useful words and expressions Find the word from the text for each of these meanings. 1._________ action of defending oneself against an enemys."— Presentation transcript:
Discovering useful words and expressions
Find the word from the text for each of these meanings. 1._________ action of defending oneself against an enemys attack. 2._________ might happen or probably will be true. 3._________ European country that is shaped like a boot. 4._________ small restaurant provided by a school for its students or by a company for its employees. 5._________ to be chosen to speak or act in place of someone defence likely Italy canteen represent
Find the word from the text for each of these meanings. 6. _________ to run or travel somewhere in a great hurry 7 _____________ to come nearer to something or someone from a great distance 8 _______________ group of people organized for a special purpose 9 _________ either side of the face below the eye 10 _________ the act of flying, especially scheduled on a plane dash approach association cheek flight
approach cheek contrary curiously dash Jordan misunderstand Joan was sitting in the park. A tall, dark woman _________ her, singing loudly. She looked as if she was from a Middle Eastern country, maybe _______. After a minute, the woman stopped and started hitting her own _________. Joan watched _________, thinking that the woman seemed a little crazy. Suddenly, the woman saw Joan and ____________ over to her. Joan then realized that she had ________________ the womans actions – she wasnt crazy. She was, on the _________, asking for help to kill a bee! approached Jordan cheekcuriously dashed Complete the passage with the words below in their proper forms. misunderstood contrary
Julia was at ________________. She had just graduated from university and was ready to begin life as an Independent ____________. She had already received some great job offers from several ___________ companies and was very excited about the opportunities. While cleaning out her ____________ room on her last day at university, she received an unexpected phone call. The caller _________ crossroads adult major dormitory greeted adult crossroads major greeted flight spoken dormitory association Colombia curious presenting Use words from the box to complete the paragraph below.
her in careful English and then introduced himself as ____________ an international _____________. He had met Julie a few weeks ago at a job fair and was impressed with her ____________ English. The only difficulty was that his company was in the country of ___________. Julie was _____________ to find out more, so after talking with her parents that evening, she booked a _______________ to South America. representingassociation spoken Colombia curious flight
Discovering useful structures
V-ing 1. V-ing, 1)-ing......, -ing A swimming pool = a pool for swimming 1. V-ing, 1)-ing......, -ing A swimming pool = a pool for swimming
A sleeping car = a car for sleeping 2) -ing......, A sleeping child working people the rising sun
Eg.In the following years he worked even harder. The man speaking to the teacher is our monitor's father.
in the following years in the years that followed; the man speaking to the teacher the man who is speaking to the teacher.
Practice: (1)____ dogs seldom bite. A.Bark B. To bark C. Barked D. Barking (2) The wolf spoke in a _____ voice and Mr. Dongguo felt______. A.frightening; frightened B. frightened; frightened C. frighten; frightening D. frightening; frightening D A
(3) Its pleasure to watch the face of a ____ baby. A.asleep B. sleep C. sleeping D. slept (4) The ____ buildings showed us that an earthquake was coming. A. shaking B. shook C. shaken D. shake C A
V-ing being V-ed having V-ed having been V-ed
E.g. Hearing the bell, the students began to enter the classroom. The building being built now is our new library. being built Having done the work, he went home.
Walking in the street, I came across an old friend of mine. (=When I was walking in the street, I came across an old friend of mine.) While waiting for the bus, he read a copy of China Daily. (=While he waswaiting for the bus,he read a copy of China Daily.) 1
2) Being ill, he didnt go to school. (=as he was ill, he didnt go to school.) Being a student, you should study hard. (=Since you are a student, you should study hard. Thinking he might be at home, I called him. (As I thought he might be at home, I called him.)
3) E.g. He sat on the sofa, watching TV. (=He sat on the sofa, and watched TV.)
__________________, they went into the classroom. (lean) He stood leaning against the wall.( He stood and leaned against the wall.) Laughing and talking
4) E.g. Her mother died in 1990, leaving her with her younger brother. (=Her mother died in 1990, and left her with her younger brother.) The song is sung all over the country,_____________________________ making it the most popular song
5) Using your head, you will find a way. (=If you use your head, you will find a way.) ______________, you will see a white house. Walking ahead
(6) I waiting for the bus, a bird fell on my heard All the tickets having been sold out, they went away disappointedly. Time permitting, we'll do another two exercises.
with (without) + + With the lights burning, he fell asleep. (7) Judging from(by) his appearance, he must be an actor.
Attention Please -ing, Time permitting, I will pay a visit to the whole city. ( time, I,,, )
the British lady the Columbian the Japanesethe Canadian You see her step back appearing surprised. His nose touches Mr. Cooks moving hand.
You see her step back appearing surprised. = You see her step back and she appears surprised.
They also express their feelings using unspoken language. =They also express their feelings by the way of using unspoken language. His nose touched Mr. Cooks moving hand. =His nose touched Mr. Cooks hand which is moving.
= They are visitors who come from several countries. They are visitors coming from several countries. = This is an experience which is exciting. This is an exciting experience.
1. When he approached Ms Smith, he touched her shoulder and kissed her. ______ ___________ Ms Smith, he touched her shoulder and kissed her. Rewrite the following sentences. When approaching 2. The person who is translating the songs can speak seven languages. The person _________ ___ ______can speak seven languages. translating the songs
3. The boy standing there is reading a book about body language. The boy ____ __ ________ there is reading a book about body language. who is standing 4. Because he comes from Jordan, he moves close to ask you a question. _______ _____ Jordan, he moves close to ask you a question. Coming from
5. She sat at the desk and did her homework. She sat at the desk ______ ____ __________. doing her homework
Grammar work 1. Not ________(know) his address, I couldnt go to see him yesterday. 2. Look out for cars when _______(cross) the street. 3. Not _________________ (invite) to the party, Mary was greatly hurt. knowing crossing having been invited
4. He dived into the water, ______ (leave) only his face exposed. 5. When I got back home I saw a message pinned to the door, _______ (read) Sorry to miss you; I will call later. 6. _______ (take) a deep breath, they dived into the water. 7. ____________ (close) the windows and the door, the students left the room. leaving reading Taking Having closed
Grammar quiz 1. When _____ different cultures, we often pay attention only to the differences without noticing many similarities. A. compared B. being compared C. comparing D. having compared C
2. Whenever he was asked why he was late for class, he would answer carelessly, always ______ the same thing. A. saying B. said C. to say D. having said A
3. There are hundreds of visitors _____ in front of the Art Gallery to have a look at Van Goghs paintings. A. waited B. to wait C. waiting D. wait C
4. ______, the more expensive the camera, the better its quality. A. General speaking B. Speaking general C. Generally speaking D. Speaking generally C
5. You cant catch me! Janet shouted, _______ away. A. run B. running C. to run D. ran B
1. Having not seen the film, I cant tell you what I think of it. 2. The men worked for extra hours got an extra pay. 3. Seen from the top of the hill, we find the city more beautiful. 4. Generally speak, facial expressions are helpful communications, too. Not having working Seeing speaking
5. Cant you read? the man said, angrily pointed to the notice on the wall. 6. Knocking at the door before entering, please. 7. European football is played in 80 countries, made it the most popular sport in the world. pointing Knock making
1.Finish exercises on page Finish exercises on pages Homework