Presentation on theme: "( · ). Grammar and usage Unit 4 Verb-ed and verb-ing."— Presentation transcript:
( · )
Grammar and usage Unit 4 Verb-ed and verb-ing
Cars are the leading ( ) causes of air pollution in the world today. Realizing( ) how serious the problem has become, the government has been encouraging people to walk, cycle or make better use of the underground system. Read the following passage and identify of function of verb-ing. adj. adv.
2. It is an exciting match. Conclusion: it usually expresses an action that is going on, or what something is like. v-ing like an adjective 1.She sat beside the window, watching the falling leaves floating in the air.
Part one a v-ed or a v-ing like an adjective 1.The police found the stolen car. 2. There was a thick layer of fallen leaves on the ground. 3. Many excited people wanted to travel on the underground. differences express passive meaning refer to a finished action tell how we feel about something.
Have you read the book _________ to him? (relate) It is a book ________ by J.K. Rowling. Its an____________ book most teenagers like. (write, interest) related written interesting Will you feel ________ if Harry Porter is your teacher? (excite) excited
1. Realizing he would have to take two different trains, he decided to take a taxi instead. 2. Encouraged by the success of the Metropolitan Railway Company, Metropolitan District Railway opened another line in Part two a v-ed or a v-ing like an adverb. express reason or cause
3. Traveling through the tunnel, the man felt uncomfortable because of the noise. 4. When asked how old the underground system was, she made no reply. refer to time
5. The train headed for London, puffing and rattling. 6. He walked down the hill, singing softly to himself. express manner
7. Turning to the left at the crossroads, you will see the railway station on your right. 8. Given another chance, Ill do it much better. express condition
Please rewrite the following sentences with proper conjunctions. 1. Being ill, he didnt go to school. 2. Walking in the street, I met a friend. 3. He watched TV, drinking beer. 4. Given more time, I would finish the work on time. _________ he was ill, he didnt go to school.Because _______ I walked in the street, I met a friend.When He watched TV_______ drank beer.and 4. If I were given more time, I would finish the work on time.
______ the picture, I feel very funny. (see) The cat carried many things, _______.(sing) Seeing ______ more money, I would buy more presents for my wife. (give) Given singing ________so many things, the cat felt very tired. (carry) Carrying
1. The underground system being built in the city will be open next year. 2. Having seen the situation, a wealthy American businessman, Charles Yerkes tried to improve the system. 3. Having been developed over many years, the underground system is now able to transport millions of people effectively. being + done haivng + done having been + done Part three passive and perfect forms of v-ing
Please rewrite the following sentences. It is said that the second line of Nanjing Underground is being built and it will reach Ma Qun. After the government has realized how serious the financial crisis is, it has been taking many measures to help people out of difficulty. After the plan had been revised many times, it was carried out last month. It is said that the second line of Nanjing Underground being built will reach Ma Qun. Having realized how serious the financial crisis is, the government has been taking many measures to help people out of difficulty. Having been revised many times, the plan was carried out last month.
________ the differences between London Underground and Nanjing Underground, our government took some measures to improve the underground system. A. Having compared B. Compared C. Having been compared D. being compared
Do you think we can rewrite the previous sentence in this way? Having compared the differences between London Underground and Nanjing underground, some measures were taken by our government to improve the undergroud system. Having been trapped in traffic, he was late for work. Part four the subject of v-ing or v-ed clause The understood subject of v-ing or v-ed clause is the same as the subject of the main clause.
________ this public service advertisement, we think … (see) ________ on internet or other media, the public service advertisement can call on more people to… (show) Seeing Shown
Sometimes commercial advertisements can be useful. ___________ what to buy, consumers may turn to ads for information. That is to say, ______ ads, you will get a better understanding of each product. However, some consumers may also be cheated by __________ advertisements. _________ by these ads, they are likely to make wrong decisions. So what attitude will you take to ads? Not knowing reading misleading Guided mislead, know, guide, read