Presentation on theme: "Firstly, what is a DNS ?. * We talk to people, but Phones work on Numbers... * We use a Phone Book to translate a person’s name to get the number to dial."— Presentation transcript:
* We talk to people, but Phones work on Numbers... * We use a Phone Book to translate a person’s name to get the number to dial * Web uses named URLs, but Internet works on Numbers. * We use a DNS (Domain Name Server) to translate a URL name into a numeric Web address.
Domain Name Server Trojan Operation Rogue DNS Rogue Server
* Scam Emails – don’t click on embedded link.. * Always type in Bank URLs (or Favourites/Bookmarks) * So, key in bank URL (anz.com.au) to ensure OK * BUT - Rogue DNS gives address of Rogue “ANZ” server * Can then easily capture ID and PSW, then on-forward to real bank acct.. * We are None the wiser.... till zero balance...
* Once discovered - A-V vendors updated, warned people & provided check tools (widely promoted in other countries.. eg AU ) * Used DNS Registration to “Hijack the Hijackers” *ie. Capture expanding rogue DNS IP addresses and re-route to a valid DNS * Needs considerable computing resources – so warning bypass to be shut down on Monday 9July...
* Every URL / link needs to be translated..... * Thus we may access a DNS many times / session * While DNS is usually provided by our ISP, there are many others available..... * Question is - are we using the BEST one ? ? * How can we test ? Process is “DNS Optimisation”
* DNS-Changer Trojan seems to be real threat ! * Easy to check and remove – before 9-July... * DNS maybe used many of times for EACH page * Google NameBench tool available ---- free * 30% improvement available for me..... * Overall WEB performance seems improved ! * Try it yourself.....