Presentation on theme: "Imperialism Focus Question: How and why did the United States take a more active role in world affairs?"— Presentation transcript:
1ImperialismFocus Question: How and why did the United States take a more active role in world affairs?
2Warm up, Happy Friday! # your paper 1-5 Please read the following scenarios. Decide what the U.S. should do in each situation. Be ready to explain why you feel this way!*Note: you may choose more than one solution as long as you justify your choices!
31. What should the U.S. do if. . .A natural disaster strikes another country?a. Send our national guard to helpb. Send $$ by the U.S. governmentc. Ignore it. . . Not our problemd. Send a private organization like the Red Cross
42. What should the U.S. do if. . .A deadly Civil War is happening in another country?a. Send the U.S. army right awayb. Send $$ to help the side we support buy weaponsc. Ignore it. . . Not our problemd. Get President Obama to have the two sides over for a peace talk at the White House
53. What should the U.S. do if. . .Another country has a dictator that the U.S. doesn’t like or support?send the U.S. army to overthrow himGive financial support ($$) to the oppositionIgnore it. . . Not our problemInterview the people living in the country to see if they would like a change
64. What should the U.S. do if. . .A smaller country has an abundance (a lot of) a natural resources that America needs or wants?Send the U.S. army to take it!Try to strike a deal with the country where we can have access to the resources for a very low priceNothing- they aren’t our resources to take!Give the smaller country something of ours that they may want- try to create a fair trade.
75. What should the U.S. do if. . .Mexico and Canada get in a war with each other?Send the army to help one side right away!Secretly give $$ to one side so they can buy supplies but the other won’t know about itIgnore it! Not our problem. . .Poll the U.S. public to see which side they would like to support.
8Washington on Foreign Policy Warned AGAINST getting involved in foreign affairsWe start to see a CHANGE in foreign policy…
9What is imperialism?The idea that a stronger nation should control weaker nationsHow do you think Imperialism is going to affect the United States? How will it affect other countries?
10Causes of Imperialism Making $$$ Imperialists wanted the U.S. to get raw materials and natural resources from other countries.
11Causes of Imperialism Making our military stronger Alfred T. Mahan: wrote The Influence of Sea Power on HistoryWhy: If we have bases around the world, we could refuel and gather fresh supplies. He wanted the U.S. to be a world power and we needed a strong Navy to do this!
12Causes of Imperialism Belief that we are “better” Imperialists used ideas of racial, national and cultural superiority to justify imperialism.Rudyard Kipling’s The White Man’s Burden: white men have a responsibility to colonize other places and rule other people for their own benefitSocial Darwinists: survival of the fittest
13White Man’s Burden Poem by Rudyard Kipling 1899 “Take up the White Man’s burden– Send forth the best ye breed— Go bind your sons to exile To serve your captives’ need; To wait in heavy harness, On fluttered folk and wild— Your new-caught, sullen peoples, Half-devil and half-child”
16You Tell Me: Why doesthe United Statesbecome animperialist country?
17We Buy Alaska!Secretary of State, William Seward buys Alaska from RussiaJournalists nicknamed it Sewards’ Folly and Sewards’ Icebox.Why: They thought it was just snow and ice 1,000 miles north of our border.
20The U.S. gets HawaiiU.S. involved with Hawaii since the 1700s in the Sugar IndustryAmerican planters convinced Hawaiian King to amend the constitution so voting rights are limited to rich landowners (white planters)
21The U.S. Gets HawaiiHawaiian King died- his sister Queen Liliuokalani, took over.She resented the power of planters and abolished (ended) the constitution that gave power to white planters.
22The U.S. Gets HawaiiHow did Planters react? American Planters used violence to overthrow the Queen!President William McKinley annexes (adds) Hawaii in 1898.The U.S. now has all 50 states!
23U. S. View of HawaiiansHawaii becomes a U. S. Protectorate in by virtue of economic treaties.
24Theodore Roosevelt (Big Stick Diplomacy) The idea that America will control the world by policing it.“Speak Softly and Carry a Big Stick”
25Theodore Roosevelt (Big Stick Diplomacy) Roosevelt added the “Roosevelt Corollary” to the Monroe Doctrine.Now the U.S. will intervene with the military when necessary in Latin America to protect US interestsWhy do you think the Roosevelt Corollary was added?
26William Howard Taft (Dollar Diplomacy) Why do you think Dollar Diplomacy is important?The idea of increasing investments in Latin America and the Caribbean“substitute dollars for bullets”Designed to protect economic ($$) interests and increase U.S. power in the World
27Woodrow Wilson (Moral Diplomacy) Idea that U.S. must be a “friend to the world” and stop trying to take over places with conquest.Also called Missionary DiplomacyDesigned to promote human rights and democracy in other countries without using force.This doesn’t always happen… Sometimes even Wilson uses force!
282nd BlockLucky for you- we have a pep rally today during 4th block (my other US class)SO- you get the remainder of class to work on your project Use your time WISELY!