Presentation on theme: "NORMA J. STUMBO, PH.D., CTRS, FALS PRESIDENT, EDUCATION ASSOCIATES *ORIGINALLY CREATED WITH KARI KENSINGER, PH.D., CTRS Resources You Can Use!*"— Presentation transcript:
NORMA J. STUMBO, PH.D., CTRS, FALS PRESIDENT, EDUCATION ASSOCIATES *ORIGINALLY CREATED WITH KARI KENSINGER, PH.D., CTRS Resources You Can Use!*
Today’s Topics 2 What is a Resource? Professional Organizations Publishers Journals Agencies/Web Sites Research and Journal Databases Listservs Job Searching Sites Your Turn!
Resource…. According to the CTRA website: re·source: 1 a : a source of supply or support, an available means -- usually used in plural b : a natural source of wealth or revenue -- often used in plural c : computable wealth -- usually used in plural d : a source of information or expertise
Information Needs? 4 Are you looking for new, innovative interventions? client-specific or general information? state or national statistics? other professionals? justification for your services? new job?
Evaluating Your Needs Best source for my needs? Availability to me? How often will I need it? How soon do I need it? How much will it cost (time, energy, money)? How much do I trust it?
Accessing Information Personal communication Networking and Mentorship Professional organizations Mass communication Publications Journals, Books, Games, Assessments Internet Life experiences
Today’s Resources 1. Professional Organizations 2. Publishers 3. Journals 4. Agencies/Web Sites 5. Research and Journal Databases 6. Listservs 7. Job Searching Sites
1. Professional Organizations Group of professionals who have similar interests and professional aspirations Local, Provincial, Regional, and National Promotion and Advocacy Social Support and Networking Information Dissemination Job Opportunities Publications Continuing Education
1. Professional Organizations American TR Association ATRA Chapter Affiliates State TR Organizations National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (certification only; not membership)
2. Publishers Most publishers offer multiple types of publications Journals, Trade Magazines, Books, E-Books Each publisher has a unique focus or niche What are your needs? Publisher catalogs/web sites Most have on-site conference discounts
2. Publishers Venture Publishing Sagamore Publishing Addison-Wesley/Benjamin Cummings Human Kinetics Elsevier, Health Sciences Division Aspen Lippincott, Williams, and Wilkins Routledge Mental Health Hopkins Technology, LLC Health Communications
3. Journals Most focus on “data-based” research Systematic reviews Practice perspectives Guidelines for submission Becoming a reviewer
3. Journals Therapeutic Recreation Journal Annual in Therapeutic Recreation American Journal of Recreation Therapy Australasian Journal of Diversional Therapy Journal of Leisurability
4. Agency Websites Commercial Advocacy Groups Non-Profit Organizations Professional Organizations Governmental Organizational Educational
4. Agency Web Sites Types of websites Commercial (****.com or ****.biz) Typically product oriented. Aim is to make money from advertising or product sales Governmental (****.gov, ****.gc.ca) Operated by government agencies. Information about grants, statistics and facts about research/services Organizational (****.org or ****.info) Typically operated by non-profit organizations and provide information about services they provide to stakeholders Educational (****.edu) Typically operated by colleges, universities and other institutions of learning. Information about course offerings and services provided by specific agencies
Examples - Web Sites for TR National Institutes of Health Department of Education Health Canada - Sante Canada Canadian Health Network Canada Health Portal Coalition for Active Living Active Living Alliance Lifestyle Information Network NewsRx Centers for Disease Control Institute on Medicine Therapeutic Recreation Directory
5. Research and Databases Publishers Organizations Universities Libraries Evidence-Based Research Clinical Practice Guidelines Best Practices
5. Research and Databases www.scholar.google.co m www.guideline.gov www.findarticles.com www.cochrane.org www.clinicalevidence.co m www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov www.samhsa.gov www.ahrq.gov www.bmj.com www.MedScape.com www.jstage.jst.go.jp www.doaj.org
6. Listservs Listservs Email postings delivered to many people at once Websites Warehouse of information. Most have information about the organization, services, publications, products, FAQs, external links, contact information Bulletin Boards/Forums/Micro Sites Section of website for post question for other people to read and respond - either through bulletin board or private email Chat rooms (Instant Messaging) Section of website for live interaction with other people
6. Listservs ATRAnet America On-Line RT Discussion Group Assistive Technology and Therapeutic Recreation Benefits Online ChRec-L Child Life Florida Therapeutic Recreation Network (FLTRNET) Naspe LINKEDIN LinNews Sportime- PETalk + TheraTalk + AdaptTalk Therapeutic Recreation Listserv TR Study Group
7. Job Searching Sites www.atra-online.com www.recreationtherapy.com www.simplyhired.com www.indeed.com www.careerbuilder.com www.glassdoor.com www.monster.com www.ihiretherapy.com https://www.facebook.com/p ages/Get-Recreational- Therapy- Jobs/220644641534 www.mycareeratva.va.gov www.usajobs.gov Agency web sites Chapter Affiliate web sites University web sites Agency Facebook pages ATRA Chapter FB pages University Facebook pages