Presentation on theme: "A STUDY ON TEACHING SCIENCE USING ENGLISH TO STUDENTS OF RSBI SCHOOLS"— Presentation transcript:
1A STUDY ON TEACHING SCIENCE USING ENGLISH TO STUDENTS OF RSBI SCHOOLS Researched by : Titien SumarniPresented by : Ujang Sulaeman
2Outline Background Underlying Theory Aim of research Subject Setting Data collection TechniqueResearch MethodologyResearch ProcedureResult and DiscussionConclusion
31. BackgroundThe high school graduates are not capable enough to have active and passive English competences.The high school graduates have difficulties to compete in international level for mathematics and science.Bilingual Program has become a significant way to use of English for mathematics and science.
42. Underlying Theory.PP 19/2005 states “ National standard of education at least has one International standard school”.Thomas & Collier (1997) claimed English is used to teach math and sciences as a native language to strengthen concept of cognitive challenge.Marsh (2000) argues since CLIL (Content and Language Integrated Learning) is about using the language to learn and learning to use languages.
53. The aim of the researchTo describe the teaching of Mathematics and Science by using English .To produce graduates whose command of English is high and have competence in several subjects
64. SubjectThe subjects were the students and the teachers from SMAN 1 Probolinggo.10 students of eleventh grade of SMAN 1 Probolinggo6 teachers ( 1 mathematics, 2 biology, 1 chemistry and 2 physics )
75. SettingThe research was conducted at SMAN 1 Probolonggo as one of RSBI schools
97.Research methodologyA descriptive study by using quantitative data taken from respondents (Descriptive quantitative method )A descriptive statistics by using percentage form(Questionnaire Distribution )
108.Research ProcedureThe classroom observation in teaching and learning process on mathematics and science teachers at SMAN 1 ProbolinggoAfter the class, the students and the teachers were given questionnaires by purposive sampling method.Finding and discussion
119.Result and DiscussionFrom the data analysis It can be concluded that : Teacher’s perspective on teaching of math/science at SMAN 1 Probolinggo has positive attitude using English as a medium of teaching. Students’ perspective on learning math/science at SMAN 1 Probolinggo has two alternative interpretations using English and Indonesian language as a medium of teaching.
1210.ConclusionBoth teachers and students of SMAN 1 Probolinggo have positive attitude towards the teaching of math and science by using English as a medium of teaching in their school.Both teachers and students of SMAN 1 Probolinggo showed their agreement on teaching math and science by using English in an RSBI school since it provides an opportunity of acquiring a wide of knowledge through education or experience in an academic setting.