Presentation on theme: "The Poffle 630 - 726 Princes Highway, Tempe. The Poffle & Rugby School 1837 Lesslie Duguid purchases and built his house. Duguid loses his job & files."— Presentation transcript:
The Poffle & Rugby School 1837 Lesslie Duguid purchases and built his house. Duguid loses his job & files for insolvency, sells The Poffle to Australian Trust Company. 1847 The Poffle House & land changed hands a number of times & finally purchased by Reverend William Saviginy. The land was reduced to 4 acres and converted to a school called ‘Rugby’. 18561862 Reverend William Saviginy becomes ill & allows Reverend William Scott to take over. 1865 School was closed & the land was offered for subdivision of 5 sections. (No evidence that the land was sold).
Bayview Asylum 1868 Site purchased by Dr George Alfred Tucker formerly a partner of Cremorne Private Lunatic Asylum in Melbourne. He renamed The Poffle to ‘Bayview House’ & established his own private Asylum. Tucker was able to accommodate only 9 patients & therefore requested assistance from the government. 186918711874 Numbers of patients have risen to 100 which helps economically as it reduces over-crowding in State institutions. 1879 Sydney News highlights the excellent conditions of the grounds by placing a sketch in the public arena. This sketch displayed the mansion, other good features such as trees, shutter windows & patients playing croquet on manicured lawns. Bayview House gets excellent accolades publicly via Sydney Morning Herald. Ex- patient wrote about abundant fruit trees & shrubs, comfortable beds, large well ventilated apartments & hot & cold baths.
Bayview Asylum (cont) 1880 Tucker increased the grounds to 23 acres (larger than the original Poffle). 188518941943 Aerial photographs display 3 large buildings, including the original house built by Duguid & 1894 extensions. 1946 Closure of the Asylum & the site is purchased by WD & HO Wills & renamed to Caxton House which is run as a hostel for young women moving to the city. The Bayview Asylum & Vause were subjected to a Royal Commission as complaints were received of bad treat- ment towards patients. Vause survives the inquiry. Sold the Asylum to Dr Arthur Vause (who ran the Asylum during Tucker’s busy schedules). 1914 Grace Wilson purchases the Asylum & continues to operate.
Caxton House/Penfold 194619531959Present Proposed Development Application for an IKEA department store. Site purchased & subdivided by Drug Houses of Australia & Penfolds Wines Closure of the Asylum & the site is purchased by WD & HO Wills & renamed to Caxton House which is run as a hostel for young women moving to the city. Penfolds uses the site as a warehouse & distributions Centre (using only 1 building from the Asylum for administration purposes). They created a new modern industrial Centre with a prominent clock tower which was designed by architects Ross A Lightfoot & Stanton of Sydney. Also a new warehouse was built to be used by Westpac.