2Can I Avoid Sinning?There are those, even among our brethren, who teach that man cannot keep from sinning.Others think they cannot sin, and do not guard against temptation.David, however, not only knew that he could sin but that he could keep from sinning."Your word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You." (Psalm 119:11)
3How Can I Avoid Sinning?Spurgeon said that David, in Psalm 119:11 mentions the best thing in the best place for the best purpose!The Heart is:The Intellectual Center of Man – the MindThe Emotional Center of ManThe Ethical Center of Man – the ConscienceThe Volitional Center of Man – the Will
4The Intellectual Center of Man But Jesus, knowing their thoughts, said, "Why do you think evil in your hearts?" (Matt. 9:4)But immediately, when Jesus perceived in His spirit that they reasoned thus within themselves, He said to them, "Why do you reason about these things in your hearts?" (Mark 2:8)
5The Emotional Center of Man 'You shall not hate your brother in your heart. You shall surely rebuke your neighbor, and not bear sin because of him.' (Lev. 19:17)Since you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit in sincere love of the brethren, love one another fervently with a pure heart. (1 Peter 1:22)
6The Ethical Center of Man My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth. And by this we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before Him. For if our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and knows all things. Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence toward God. (1 John 3:18-21)Then those who heard it, being convicted by their conscience, went out one by one, beginning with the oldest even to the last. And Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. (John 8:9)
7The Volitional Center of Man But God be thanked that though you were slaves of sin, yet you obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine to which you were delivered. (Rom. 6:17)But this I say: He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver. (2 Cor. 9:6-7)
8How do I hide God's word in my ? 1. Desire to understand it.2. Strive to understand it.3. Appreciate its power.4. Hold it in high esteem.5. Store it up in your mind.6. Apply it to your life.
91. Desire to understand God’s word ....as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby (1 Peter 2:2).....and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie, that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness (2 Thess. 2:10-12).
102. Strive to understand God’s word Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth (2 Tim. 2:15).Therefore do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is (Eph. 5:17).
113. Appreciate the power of God’s word For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek (Rom. 1:16).For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart (Heb. 4:12).The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul; The testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple (Ps. 19:7).
124. Hold God’s word in high esteem Your word is a lamp to my feetAnd a light to my path (Psalm 119:105).Princes persecute me without a cause,But my heart stands in awe of Your word (Psalm 119:161).
135. Store up God’s word in your mind And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free" (John 8:32).
145. Store up God’s word in your mind Then Jesus, being filled with the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness, being tempted for forty days by the devil. And in those days He ate nothing, and afterward, when they had ended, He was hungry. And the devil said to Him, "If You are the Son of God, command this stone to become bread." But Jesus answered him, saying, "It is written, 'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.' " Then the devil, taking Him up on a high mountain, showed Him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time.
155. Store up God’s word in your mind And the devil said to Him, "All this authority I will give You, and their glory; for this has been delivered to me, and I give it to whomever I wish. Therefore, if You will worship before me, all will be Yours." And Jesus answered and said to him, "Get behind Me, Satan! For it is written, 'You shall worship the Lord your God, and Him only you shall serve.' " Then he brought Him to Jerusalem, set Him on the pinnacle of the temple, and said to Him, "If You are the Son of God, throw Yourself down from here. For it is written:
165. Store up God’s word in your mind 'He shall give His angels charge over you,To keep you,'"and,'In their hands they shall bear you up,Lest you dash your foot against a stone.' "And Jesus answered and said to him, "It has been said, 'You shall not tempt the Lord your God.' " (Luke 4:1-12).Psalm 91:11-12
175. Store up God’s word in your mind 'He shall give His angels charge over you,To keep you,'"and,'In their hands they shall bear you up,Lest you dash your foot against a stone.' "And Jesus answered and said to him, "It has been said, 'You shall not tempt the Lord your God.' " (Luke 4:1-12). "It is written again..." (Matt. 4:7).
186. Apply God’s word to your life But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man observing his natural face in a mirror; for he observes himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was. But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does (James 1:22-25)."But why do you call Me 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do the things which I say?" (Luke 6:46).
19How Will God’s Word - Hidden in My Heart - Help Me to Avoid Sinning? 1. By imparting counsel concerning sin2. By warning of punishment for sin3. By relating promises for overcoming sin4. By revealing God's love5. By enjoining practical duties6. By communicating spiritual strength
20By Imparting Counsel Concerning Sin Blessed is the manWho walks not in the counsel of the ungodly,Nor stands in the path of sinners,Nor sits in the seat of the scornful;But his delight is in the law of the Lord,And in His law he meditates day and night. (Psalm 1:1-2)
21By Warning of Punishment for Sin For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Rom. 6:23)
22By Relating Promises for Overcoming Sin Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. (James 1:12)
23By Revealing God's LoveIn this the love of God was manifested toward us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him. In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.... We love Him because He first loved us.... For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome. (1 John 4:9-10,19; 5:3)
24By Enjoining Practical Duties Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good. Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another; not lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord; [rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer; distributing to the needs of the saints, given to hospitality. Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep. Be of the same mind toward one another. Do not set your mind on high things, but associate with the humble. Do not be...
25By Enjoining Practical Duties ...wise in your own opinion. Repay no one evil for evil. Have regard for good things in the sight of all men. If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men. [Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, "Vengeance is Mine, I will repay," says the Lord.
26By Enjoining Practical Duties Therefore"If your enemy is hungry, feed him;If he is thirsty, give him a drink;For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head."Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. (Rom. 12:9-21)
27By Communicating Spiritual Strength Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the...
28By Communicating Spiritual Strength ...preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints-- and for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak. (Eph. 6:10-20)
29Hiding God’s Word In Our Hearts Will we truly be able to keep from sinning?Yes! This is the reason John wrote his first epistle.My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. (1 John 2:1)Will we be able to perfectly keep from sinning?Yes, if we perfectly apply these principles.