Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Non Clinical Approach to Mental Health in the Workplace.

Similar presentations


Presentation on theme: "Non Clinical Approach to Mental Health in the Workplace."— Presentation transcript:

1 Non Clinical Approach to Mental Health in the Workplace

2 Context

3 Context and factors that should motivate ACTION and INNOVATION Only 41% of employees feel they can acknowledge an illness and still get ahead in their careers 45% of benefits managers and middle managers reported knowing little or nothing about depression as an illness Source: University of Michigan's Depression Center

4 “….. the longer someone is ill, the more treatment resistant their illness becomes…..” Source: Dr. Diane McIntosh (Psychiatrist) Context and factors that should motivate ACTION and INNOVATION...

5 Only 35% seek treatment while the remaining 65% do not. Source: Dr Richard Earle of the Canadian Institute of Stress Context and factors that should motivate ACTION and INNOVATION...

6 Disability represents anywhere from 4% to 12% of payroll costs in Canada Mental health claims (especially depression) have overtaken cardiovascular disease as the fastest growing category of disability costs in Canada Source: Global Business and Economic Roundtable on Addiction and Mental Health Context and factors that should motivate ACTION and INNOVATION...

7 Struck Down

8 Social Clinical Adaptive copingMild and reversible distress or functional impairment Clinical illnesses and disorders requiring concentrated medical care More severe, persistent injury or impairment HealthyReactingInjuredIll Set new paradigms

9 Stress Injuries Mental Health Mental Illness Set new paradigms

10 TRAUMA GRIEF FATIGUE Stress Injury MORAL CONFLICT MORAL CONFLICT

11 Before After Psychiatric History Childhood Abuse Trauma Severity Additional Stressors Lack of Social Support Other Prior Trauma During Journal of Consulting & Clinical Psychology - Brewin et al, 2000 Embrace the obvious

12 Clinical Care Friendship Peer Support Formal Informal Peer Support Future certified peer support workers Conceptual Peer Support Continuum Workplaces MH System

13 Peer Support “Blue Print” Code of Conduct Competencies KnowledgeExperience

14 Alone

15 [1] Creamer et al., Guidelines for Peer Support in High-Risk Organizations: An International Consensus Study Using the Delphi Method. Journal of Traumatic Stress April 2012 Vol 25 pages 134–141 [2] O'Hagan, M., Cyr, C., McKee, H., & Priest, R. (2010). Making the case for peer support: Report to the Mental Health Commission of Canada Mental Health Peer Support Project Committee. Calgary: Mental Health Commission of Canada. [3] Provencher, Gagné & Legris, 2012; L’INTÉGRATION DE PAIRS AIDANTS DANS DES ÉQUIPES DE SUIVI ET DE SOUTIEN DANS LA COMMUNAUTÉ: POINTS DE VUE DE DIVERS ACTEURS Rapport final de recherche (version sommaire) Université Laval Février 2012 [4] Chinman, Young, Hassell & Davidson, 2006; Toward the Implementation of Mental Health Consumer Provider Services; The Journal of Behavioral Health Services and Research Volume 33, Number 2 (2006), , DOI: /s Toward the Implementation of Mental Health Consumer Provider ServicesThe Journal of Behavioral Health Services and ResearchVolume 33, Number 2 [5] Coatsworth-Puspoky, R., Forchuk, C., & Ward Griffin, C. (2006). Peer support relationships: an unexplored interpersonal process in mental health. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health; Nursing, Vol 13, [6] Corrigan, P.W. (2006). The impact of consumer-operated services on the empowerment and recovery of people with psychiatric disabilities. Psychiatric Services, 57, [7] Dumont JM, Jones K: Findings from a consumer/survivor defined alternative to psychiatric hospitalization in Outlook, Spring 2002, pp 4—6 [8] Sandra G. Resnick; Robert A. Rosenheck, 2008 Integrating Peer-Provided Services: A Quasi-experimental Study of Recovery Orientation, Confidence, and Empowerment Psychiatric Services 2008;doi: /appi.ps [9] Ochocka, J., Nelson, G., Janzen, R., & Trainor, J. (2006). A longitudinal study of mental health consumer/survivor initiatives: Part III - A qualitative study of impacts on new members. Journal of Community Psychology, 34, [10] Pfeiffer, Heisler, et al. (2011). "Efficacy of peer support interventions for depression: A meta-analysis." General Hospital Psychiatry 33(1): [11] Ratzlaff, S., McDiarmid, D.,Marty, D., & Rapp, C. (2006). The Kansas consumer as provider program:Measuring the effects of a supported education initiative. Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal, 29(3), 174–182. [12]Mclean J, Biggs H, Whitehead I, Pratt R, Maxwell M: Evaluation of the Delivering for Mental Health Peer Support Worker Pilot Scheme. Edinburgh: Scottish Government Social Research, Research Findings No.87/2009; References


Download ppt "Non Clinical Approach to Mental Health in the Workplace."

Similar presentations


Ads by Google