Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

DO YOU APPROVE OF APPROVAL PLANS? PROOF OF CONCEPT IN COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY LIBRARY PARTNERSHIP ENVIRONMENT by Gohar Ashoughian & Alexander Eykelhof.

Similar presentations


Presentation on theme: "DO YOU APPROVE OF APPROVAL PLANS? PROOF OF CONCEPT IN COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY LIBRARY PARTNERSHIP ENVIRONMENT by Gohar Ashoughian & Alexander Eykelhof."— Presentation transcript:

1 DO YOU APPROVE OF APPROVAL PLANS? PROOF OF CONCEPT IN COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY LIBRARY PARTNERSHIP ENVIRONMENT by Gohar Ashoughian & Alexander Eykelhof

2 Background  Guelph-Humber A unique educational partnership in Ontario joint venture between

3 Background 2  Integrated approach to post-secondary education  Students get the theoretical aspects of their field of study from U of Guelph  They get the practical application of their research from Humber College  Best of both worlds – a degree and a diploma

4 Background 3 - Convergence  The University of Guelph-Humber - natural response to the call for closer alliance between two distinct academic cultures.  The Best Of Both Worlds – University of Guelph Humber “A timely and innovative option in post- secondary education, the University of Guelph- Humber builds on the combined strengths and traditions of the University of Guelph and Humber College — two of Ontario's leading educational institutions.”

5 Background 4 - GH Advantage  Single admissions process (university requirements)  Programs developed from scratch specifically for Guelph-Humber students  A recognized honours degree from University of Guelph  A recognized diploma from Humber College ITAL  Both credentials achieved in 4 years of study  Small Class Sizes

6 Background 5 - GH Programs Business Marketing Finance International Not-for-profit Entrepreneurship Accounting Media Studies Journalism Public relations Image arts Computing Early Childhood Studies Family and Community Social Services Justice Studies BAA Justice Studies Psychology Kinesiology (new in ’08)

7 The Library Services  Provided Jointly by University of Guelph Library and Humber Library +TUG Partners  access to about 4.3M book volumes across TUG; over 13,000 e-journal titles in partnership with UofG  Aligned with Learning Outcomes  Active Participant in Curriculum Development Process  Academic Liaison  Digital Library  Research Support  Information Literacy and Library Learning Curriculum Development  Support for E-Learning

8 GH Library Staff Liaison Librarians Caroline Stewart (Guelph-Humber) - Justice, Business & Electives Dalia Smith (Guelph-Humber) - Early Childhood studies, Family and Community Social Services, and Psychology Mark Bryant (Humber) - Media Studies Lisa DiBarbora (Humber) – Computing Library Technicians Dijana Kladnjakovic Roland Vila Denise Rooney

9 GH Library Acq. Budget Structure PROVIDER OF SERVICESERVICES PROVIDED% of Acquisitions Budget Assigned to Service Provider TOTAL GUELPH-HUMBER Discretionary spending on unique Guelph-Humber materials, or consortial subscriptions 15% GH Total 15% HUMBER COLLEGE ITAL Monograph purchasing and processing 45% Print periodicals and electronic resources 1% Humber Total 46% UNIVERSITY OF GUELPH Document delivery and interlibrary loan services (Expenditures will be tracked based on actual transactions) 1% E-journals and other electronic resources 38% U of G Total 39% TOTAL 100%

10 Monograph Fund Allocation ALLOCATION FORMULA FOR MONOGRAPHS Interdisciplinary Acquisitions/Electives 20% Funds allocated equally among all program areas 10% Funds allocated based on enrolment 35% Funds allocated based on circulation transactions/usage 35% TOTAL 100%

11 The Challenge  How do we efficiently build the library collection, finding the right material and getting it shelf-ready in an acceptable time line?

12 Solution  Blackwell’s Collection Manager tool for identifying the right material  Bibliocentre for cataloguing and processing

13 Solution continued…  Bibliocentre is a major provider of monographic materials for all Ontario Colleges of Applied Art and Technology  Blackwell’s is a major supplier of academic literature supplying the college and university market with an enhance ability to identify curriculum content

14 Solution continued…  In the Fall of 2003 Guelph-Humber library services initiated and developed an e-Approval Pilot Project in collaboration with Blackwell’s Book Services and the Bibliocentre

15 Results  Extremely successful!  Streamlined the acquisition process for monographs  Full production – October, 2004

16 Results continued…  higher level of efficiency, especially during the peak ordering periods  Capitalizes on robust functionality of Collection Manager, Blackwell's powerful web-based collection development and acquisitions tool,  and Bibliocentre’s well-organized processes for cataloguing and item processing.

17 Workflow

18 Workflow 2  Create a subject profile with Blackwell  collection profiles for Guelph-Humber academic programs developed in close co-operation with GH faculty  Selectors receive eNotes electronic reports indicating new publications

19 Workflow 3  Selector is notified by with a link to the Collection Manager when a report about new items in a specific subject area becomes available in the system

20 Workflow 4  Selector has a choice… Order the entire eNotes report or Order the titles in the report selectively

21 Workflow 5  Selector completes requests directly in Collection Manager  Library Technician orders selector requests directly in Collection Manager  Orders are fulfilled by Blackwell’s  Blackwell’s sends order directly to Bibliocentre for cataloguing and processing (barcode, tattletape, label, etc)

22 Workflow 6  GH exports the order records from Blackwell’s Collection Manager to FTP site accessible by Bibliocentre staff and delivers a list of expected materials to Bibliocentre  Bibliocentre confirms and processes the material as it arrives but also… Handles payment and billing Handles claims Does the quality control

23 Bibliocentre in brief  Established by the Government of Ontario in 1968  Unique cost saving enterprise that saves colleges money, staffing, computing resources, space, planning services, and provides leadership in information provision  Serves all Colleges in Ontario, some Universities, Canadian Colleges, and other customers

24 Bibliocentre Mandate  Support libraries & learning resource centres with the technological & bibliographic infrastructure to provide their communities with access to content and to meet learner needs in the digital environment

25 Bibliocentre and GH  Worked with GH to fine-tune bibliographic quality standard to meet specific GH needs  Material handling: Receiving (including quality control) Cataloguing Physical Processing (binding, call number, tattletape) Shipping  Material delivered to GH shelf-ready

26 Collaborative Collection Development 1  Purpose is to enhance the joint collection  Begun in ongoing with multiple phases  Building the breadth of the interdisciplinary monograph collection in support of elective courses was the main goal of Phase I  Supports elective courses at both the University of Guelph-Humber and the Applied Degree Programs at Humber College

27 Collaborative Collection Development subject areas:  Art,  Astronomy,  Canadian Studies,  Film,  Ethics,  Ethics and Moral Theory,  Philosophy,  Political Science,  Popular Culture,  Psychology,  Science,  Sociology,  Sociology of Consumption,  Social Aspects of Technology,  Statistics, and  Urban Studies

28 Collaborative Collection Development 2  Humber library staff helped with the collection development  Librarians at both institutions trained on the Blackwell Collection Manager  Huge benefit to both parent institutions

29 Collaborative Collection Development – Phase 2  Develop Collections for overlapping program areas  These include: Business, Media, Early Childhood Services, Family and Community Social Services, Justice Studies  Very successful development!

30 Collaborative Collection Development – Phase 2  Program areas at Humber that would benefit were identified  Each librarian at Humber and Guelph- Humber was assigned a program area to collect for  This approach produced great efficiencies in overall collection development  Capitalized on librarians’ subject expertise

31 From Collaborative Collection Development to Collaborative Academic Liaison Model  Collaborative Collection Development led to exploration of collaborative academic liaison services.  Fuller engagement of Guelph-Humber and Humber Librarians with Faculty at Humber and Guelph-Humber  Examples of Collaboration: Business and Media Studies

32 The Collection Manager  And now for a quick demo of the Blackwell Collection Manager…

33 Thank You! Questions? Gohar Ashoughian Associate University Librarian University of Regina Alexander Eykelhof Director, Information Technology Ontario Colleges Bibliocentre


Download ppt "DO YOU APPROVE OF APPROVAL PLANS? PROOF OF CONCEPT IN COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY LIBRARY PARTNERSHIP ENVIRONMENT by Gohar Ashoughian & Alexander Eykelhof."

Similar presentations


Ads by Google