Presentation on theme: "By Daniel Osei-Joehene"— Presentation transcript:
1By Daniel Osei-Joehene Your PhD Viva:The Unofficial GuideBy Daniel Osei-Joehene
2Structure Preparing for the PhD Viva Convention of the PhD Viva Structure of PhD VivaDifficult PhD Viva QuestionsUseful References
31. Preparing for the PhD Viva What is the PhD Viva Exam?A ritual ceremony as a right of passage
41. Preparing for the PhD Viva The Examiners?Choose your examiners with your supervisorWho would you like to work with most?Who can help your career (academic/gov/com etc.)?Institutions that have post-doc projects etc.Consider experience & locationInexperienced examiners can be the most demandingExaminers who must travel far
51. Preparing for the PhD Viva What most examiners expect from an LSE PhD!“Show me the Money”“Show me the Knowledge”
61. Preparing for the PhD Viva Anxiety of Uncertainty !Role playing(with supervisor/friends etc.)Useful Preparation StrategiesWrite a good dissertation you can defend :-)Familiarise yourself with all aspects of your workWhat is your contribution - KEYWhat are the strengths and limitations of your work?you should be able to say something meaningful for both...
72. Convention of the PhD Viva The LSE Convention for the PhD Viva?Show respect for the occasion:Dress and behave accordingly
83. Structure of PhD Viva Introduction Examiners questions/discussion Conclusion
93. Structure of PhD Viva Introduction “We want you to know you have passed”The examiners will ask you to introduce your work:“Please can you tell us about your PhD work”?“Please give us an idea of what your thesis is about and the ideas behind it?”Be briefShow interest in your topicSet agenda of the discussion
103. Structure of PhD Viva Examiners questions/discussion Sequence of questionsSequential or Thematic orderRemember who’s the BOSSYou know your work better than anyoneYou are the expert not your examiners or your supervisor!
113. Structure of PhD Viva Concluding Section What would you have done differently?Plans for future research / publishing?
124. Difficult PhD Viva Questions Types of difficult questions“Why didn’t you do it my way” or “I would have done it differently”…!Given what you’ve done there are some problems:Misunderstanding of work needing clarificationA difficult question that must be addressed
134. Difficult PhD Viva Questions Dealing with difficult questionsHold your ground, but know when to let go!Don’t try to deflect good questions or valid pointsBe honest - don’t try and hoodwink the examinersShow enthusiasm and interest - especially in defeat
145. Useful References Google “PhD Viva” - caution! Books: “How to Survive Your Viva:”by Rowena Murray (2003)“Authoring a PhD:” by Patrick Dunleavy (2003)