Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

CSCI 300310/16/97 1 CSCI 3003 Issam Amin JW1.28 Department of Computer Science De Montfort University CSCI 3003 NETWORK ANALYSIS & DESIGN.

Similar presentations


Presentation on theme: "CSCI 300310/16/97 1 CSCI 3003 Issam Amin JW1.28 Department of Computer Science De Montfort University CSCI 3003 NETWORK ANALYSIS & DESIGN."— Presentation transcript:

1 CSCI /16/97 1 CSCI 3003 Issam Amin JW1.28 Department of Computer Science De Montfort University CSCI 3003 NETWORK ANALYSIS & DESIGN

2 CSCI /16/97 2 General Introduction Introduction –Aims, –Objectives and –Required Prior Knowledge Syllabus Assessment –Exam –Assignment(s) Reading list and –Extended Reading list Projects

3 CSCI /16/97 3 Module Aims To provide: an understanding of the design parameters which affect network performance and digital communications systems, an understanding of the problems of computer network design, the techniques which can be applied, the merits & limitation of these techniques.

4 CSCI /16/97 4 Module Objectives On completion students should be able to: discuss the trade-off implicit in network design and criteria by which its performance can be measured, analyse a proposed design against given criteria, specify a network configuration to meet a given requirement, explain the various parameters that effect performance, critically appraise various algorithms and techniques for measuring performance understand the basic principles of modelling and simulation.

5 CSCI /16/97 5 Important Prior Knowledge Students are assumed to be: familiar with basic concept in data communications and with the operation of the protocols at the communications subnet layer (year1 and 2 topics), competent in the symbol manipulation skills to operate on the models.

6 CSCI /16/97 6 Syllabus –Performance analysis of encoding & modulation techniques –Block and convolutional codes, TCM, Hamming codes, Compression and expansion techniques, Huffman codes –Coding for security, encryption algorithms e.g. DES –Performance analysis of stop-and-wait ARQ and sliding window ARQ – Link utilisation – Performance analysis of MAC layer protocols e.g. ALOHA, – CSMA/CD, TOKEN BUS & RING, FDDI, and DQDB. – Priority mechanisms of IEEE802.4, IEEE802.5 and IEEE802.6 – Performance analysis of high speed LANs and MANs – Routing and congestion control, routing algorithms and maximum flow algorithms for WANs

7 CSCI /16/97 7 Assessment Assessment is by: Exam –2 hours exam which represents 70% of the total assessment 4 or 5 questions, questions carry equal marks, you will be asked to answer 3 questions only. each question will be divided into 3-5 short questions. Coursework –written assignment which represents the other 30% of the total assessment (topics to be decided later). However, possible topics as follows: –simulation of priority mechanism (protocols) implementation of TCM (combined coding and modulation) simulation of maximum flow algorithm (routing)

8 CSCI /16/97 8 Reading List Stallings, W., "Data & Computer Communications", 3Rd Edition, Macmillan. Stallings, W., "Local Networks - an Introduction", 3Rd Edition, Macmillan. Sklar, B., "Digital Communications - Fundamentals & Applications", Prentice Hall, Hammond, J.L. & O'Reilly, J.P., "Performance Analysis of Local Area Networks", Addison Wesley, King, P.J.B., "Computer & Communication Systems Performance Modelling", Prentice Hall, 1990.

9 CSCI /16/97 9 Extended Reading List Communication Networks for Manufacturing, Juan R. Pimentel, 1990, Prentice-Hall Int. Editions, ISBN Performance Analysis of Local Computer Networks, Joseph L. Hammond & Peter J.P. O’Reilly, 1986, Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, ISBN Handbook of LAN Technology, Paul J. Fortier, 1989, McGraw-Hill Book Company, ISBN Design and Analysis of Computer Communication Networks, Vijay Ahuja, 1982, McGraw-Hill Book Company, ISBN Local and Metropolitan Area Networks, William Stallings, Fourth Edition, 1993, Macmillan Publishing Company, ISBN Data Communications, Computer Networks & Open Systems, Fred Halsall, 1992, Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, ISBN Communication Networks: A First Course, Jean Walrand, 1991, Aksen Associates, ISBN Local Area Networks, Gerd E. Keiser, 1989, McGraw-Hill Book Company, ISBN Computer Networks, Andrew S. Tanaenbaum, 1989, Prentice-Hall Int. Editions, ISBN (3rd edition is published) Data and Computer Communications, William Stallings, 1994, Macmillan Publishing Company, ISBN (5th edition is published)


Download ppt "CSCI 300310/16/97 1 CSCI 3003 Issam Amin JW1.28 Department of Computer Science De Montfort University CSCI 3003 NETWORK ANALYSIS & DESIGN."

Similar presentations


Ads by Google