Presentation on theme: "YR 9 TECTONICS TRUE FALSE OR. 1. The Earths crust is continually moving. TRUE."— Presentation transcript:
YR 9 TECTONICS TRUE FALSE OR
1. The Earths crust is continually moving. TRUE
2. Britain does not get many earthquakes because it is not on a plate margin/boundary. FALSE IT STILL GETS EARTHQUAKES BUT THEY ARE VERY SMALL. THE CLOSER TO THE MARGIN YOU ARE THE BIGGER THE EARTHQUAKE.
3. Volcanoes only bring negative things for people. FALSE THE ASH FROM VOLCANOES BRING FERTILE SOIL. THEY ALSO ATTRACT A LOT OF TOURISTS.
4. Volcanoes always occur on plate margins. FALSE MOST DO BUT SOME HAPPEN ON HOT SPOTS (WEAK POINTS IN THE CRUST) THAT CAN BE IN THE MIDDLE OF A PLATE.
5. People can predict earthquakes. FALSE THEY HAPPEN TOO QUICKLY TO PREDICT.
6. Most earthquakes last for just a few seconds. TRUE
7. People can predict when a volcano is going to erupt. TRUE FALSE THEY GIVE SIGNS OF AN ERUPTION BUT CAN NOT BE EXACTLY PREDICTED.
8. MEDC’s cope better with earthquakes than LEDC’s. TRUE THEY HAVE MORE MONEY TO REBUILD, GIVE AID, HOUSE PEOPLE AND SET UP WARNING SYSTEMS.
9. Earthquakes are caused by friction. TRUE
10. The mantle is molten rock. TRUE
YEAR 9 EARTHQUAKES& VOLCANOES LINKS
TASKS 1. 3 bullet points describing location of earthquake and volcanoes (can relate to jigsaw) 2. Label all the continents. 3. Label these mountain rages: (Andes, Himalayas and Alps). (Andes, Himalayas and Alps). 4. Are there any links between any of the things you’ve labelled and the edges (margins) of the plates? What are they?